The Garden Trance

ShlappinDahBass

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 5 2012, 09:11 AM)
I never was in the trance and never will be. Yes, it's a good song but not even close to one of the best ever by Rush or in the entire history of music.

What are some of your other faves? Like, have you had any that have personally "touched" you, I guess? Tears is another one that has gotten to me before.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Sep 5 2012, 08:59 AM)
I just can not (emotionally) get over this song. It has got to be one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. These guys truly created a masterpiece that I hope they play live...NEXT SATURDAY smile.gif

Is anyone else still in "The Garden Trance"?

Great song, and it still gets me every time. From the bridge through to the end is truly one of Rush's best recorded moments. Everything just comes together perfectly: the lyrics, Ged's vocals, guitar solo, etc.

I still cannot get over the strings and synth towards the end of the song. It may even be the real strings run through some synth type effect. Whataver it is, it's perfect. wub.gif

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Sep 5 2012, 12:12 PM)
I just can not (emotionally) get over this song. It has got to be one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. These guys truly created a masterpiece that I hope they play live...NEXT SATURDAY smile.gif

Great song, and it still gets me every time. From the bridge through to the end is truly one of Rush's best recorded moments. Everything just comes together perfectly: the lyrics, Ged's vocals, guitar solo, etc.

I still cannot get over the strings and synth towards the end of the song. It may even be the real strings run through some synth type effect. Whataver it is, it's perfect. wub.gif

They actually got a real string quartet and grand piano during the recording. I don't think there's any synth-related sounds in this song.

Those two instruments happen to be my weak point when it comes to listening to them...and mashing them together WITH Rush, plus Ged's raw voice and an incredible guitar solo by Alex. My goodness. So overwhelming.

More of a coma for me. unsure.gif

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Sep 5 2012, 09:59 AM)

I still love this song and am completely entranced by it. Very powerful. The whole album continues to get deeper and deeper for me with each listen as I find more detail with each listen.

No other Rush album has ever effected me this way. wub.gif

I totally relate to what you are saying. goodpost.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Sep 5 2012, 01:15 PM)
They actually got a real string quartet and grand piano during the recording. I don't think there's any synth-related sounds in this song.

Right, but I'm talking about the last minute or so of the song. There's definitely something "synthy" in there. tongue.gif It has that "sweep" sound that you get from analog synths, like on Xanadu or Camera Eye. I think it's either synth layered in with the real string section, or maybe even the real strings run though a flange effect or LFO sweep filter.

QUOTE (They Bow Defeated @ Sep 5 2012, 03:29 PM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Sep 5 2012, 01:15 PM)

Right, but I'm talking about the last minute or so of the song. There's definitely something "synthy" in there. tongue.gif It has that "sweep" sound that you get from analog synths, like on Xanadu or Camera Eye. I think it's either synth layered in with the real string section, or maybe even the real strings run though a flange effect or LFO sweep filter.

Aaah, I gotchya. Yeah, I understand now! Man, it's like this song..they literally took every single form of instrument they have used over the years and made a song using all of them.

All of the nonstop praise for The Garden during the album pre-release leak period really did it in for me... I had such high expectations based on everyone worshiping this song, it fell flat on its face when I heard it. But aside from that, I still don't think it would've ranked very high for me.

I think Available Light is a much more emotional song, but to each their own smile.gif

QUOTE (dakota2112 @ Sep 5 2012, 03:35 PM)
All of the nonstop praise for The Garden during the album pre-release leak period really did it in for me... I had such high expectations based on everyone worshiping this song, it fell flat on its face when I heard it. But aside from that, I still don't think it would've ranked very high for me.

I think Available Light is a much more emotional song, but to each their own smile.gif

Tears, The Pass, Available Light, and The Garden are probably my favorite songs emotionally. Good choice for Available Light! smile.gif

I am, For sure!! There's something about this song that makes me keep going back to repeat it.

This is an amazing piece that I love to drive the windy roads to work blasting in my car or to head home and just chillax.

It's def on my top Rush songs, and probably my favorite of CA so far! 653.gif

QUOTE (airmid12 @ Sep 6 2012, 01:56 PM)

I am, For sure!! There's something about this song that makes me keep going back to repeat it.

This is an amazing piece that I love to drive the windy roads to work blasting in my car or to head home and just chillax.

It's def on my top Rush songs, and probably my favorite of CA so far! 653.gif

Exactly. I do the same thing on my way to and from work. Probably one of the most calming songs for me, ever.

The day the CA album came out Iand when I first heard The Garden, I cried my eyes out....That song just did me in...The same happens in Bravado sometimes....

To me The Gardne just reflect my life of getting older ...I have a huge Garden in my back yard that I tend to and nurture as much as I can...I have measured my life thru love and respect before and it is so hard to earn and its easily burned. The hours continue to tick away and the cells too....The Watchmaker (God to me anyhow) still has time up his sleeve for me....My future every day disappears into memory with moments (days) between....to my its just about growing up aging you know It is what it is and forever...its just a very very very well put together piece of song that touches me and others too so it seems

Tears has done the same in past years not in a long time...

The Pass has gotten to me before as well.....Growing up into becoming an adult "Nothings what I tought it would be"

anyhow...Yes The Garden does get me in a Trance too

see you guys in Indy?

Let me know whos going

I was not too impressed by The Garden at first. Liked the ending, but it was a bit... overwrought.

Then I saw it played live at the Chicago show. Wow! "The Garden Trance" is a perfect description. It clicked, like many Rush songs that need to grow on you. The awesome visuals probably didn't hurt either.

If you are not yet a fan of the song and haven't experienced it at a show yet, don't lose hope. You still may end up loving it.

QUOTE (drumstruck @ Sep 18 2012, 08:42 AM)
I was not too impressed by The Garden at first. Liked the ending, but it was a bit... overwrought.
Then I saw it played live at the Chicago show. Wow! "The Garden Trance" is a perfect description. It clicked, like many Rush songs that need to grow on you. The awesome visuals probably didn't hurt either.

If you are not yet a fan of the song and haven't experienced it at a show yet, don't lose hope. You still may end up loving it.

What happens if I absolutely LOVE the song already and haven't heard/seen it live yet? Should I have parmedics on standby? wink.gif

I never had a problem with the extended outro as the song/ending is epic so it should go on for an extended period of time. I'm so glad I will be able to experience this live in its glory.

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Sep 5 2012, 02:21 PM)

More of a coma for me. unsure.gif

laugh.gif