The world's "luckiest" drummers?

Thunder Bay Rush

One of the things I like about Rush is that each player contributes and equal share of the workload and is just as vital to the band as the other two. Not just in playing... in writing too, obviously. I dare say that without Neil's arrival in '74 Rush would have turned out much differently.

Not only is Neil one of the best drummers out there, but he writes 1/3 of the band's material. Not exactly riding on anyone's coat tails.

But, what about other very wealthy drummers who don't write anything (or very little), don't sing and are just "okay" drummers.

These people are lucky that they happened to be "in the band" when the band broke out and started making some serious cash.

Here are a few that come to mind -

Charlie Watts, The Rolling Stones - possibly the least skilled of any famous drummer in the world. Net worth 200 million.

Ringo Starr, The Beatles - same... he sang and wrote a few songs, but he is a terrible drummer. Net worth 250 million.

Joey Kramer, Aerosmith - didn't write anything and nothing special on the drums. Any 14 year old kid could along to any Aerosmith song. Net worth 80 million.

Larry Mullen, U2 - pretty decent drummer, but his position could have been filled by just about any drummer at the time. He was lucky that he was friends with Bono and Edge. Net worth - 150 million.

Anyone want to add to this list?????

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're picking drummers from bands that don't really require much drum skill to play in them. It's possible that Charlie Watts is a better drummer than what he's shown live and on record. But The Stones are a blues based rock band and that really doesn't require a drummer to go all out. They just need him to play the beat and that's it. For all we know Charlie does Peart like drum solos all the time on his kit at home. laugh.gif Plus, Charlie has had the job for 50 years, if he sucked at what he did he probably wouldn't have lasted this long.

As for the rest of the list, these aren't prog or thrash metal drummers were talking about here. These guys do what's needed in their bands, it just so happens they don't really need to do much because the music doesn't call for it and there are other people in those bands who are the bigger stars and have more of the spotlight.

Getting a steady gig in any successful band does require some luck but there's more to it than that. You need to be able to get along with your bandmates and most of all, you need to be able to gell with them musically.

Edited by J2112YYZ

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 5 2012, 09:03 AM)
You're picking drummers from bands that don't really require much drum skill to play in them. It's possible that Charlie Watts is a better drummer than what he's shown live and on record. But The Stones are a blues based rock band and that really doesn't require a drummer to go all out. They just need him to play the beat and that's it. For all we know Charlie does Peart like drum solos all the time on his kit at home. laugh.gif Plus, Charlie has had the job for 50 years, if he sucked at what he did he probably wouldn't have lasted this long.

As for the rest of the list, these aren't prog or thrash metal drummers were talking about here. These guys do what's needed in their bands, it just so happens they don't really need to do much because the music doesn't call for it and there are other people in those bands who are the bigger stars and have more of the spotlight.

Getting a steady gig in any successful band does require some luck but there's more to it than that. You need to be able to get along with your bandmates and most of all, you need to be able to gell with them musically.

I agree with everything you're saying (accept the Charlie Watts observation, that guy is brutal and I know you're kidding about the Peart-esqu drum solo at home bit rofl3.gif ) but the point is that all of these modestly talented drummers are mega-rich. Do they really deserve it??

For example, Ringo is a rich and famous drummer because he was in The Beatles, not because he is a great player or writer. I mean, the man if left-handed but sets his kit up as a right handed-drummer would...

Same with Charlie, not exactly challenging drumming. I saw him in Minneapolis with the Stones and I was disappointed. He barely moved all night. Bass, snare and hi-hats. The odd tenor and floor tom fill...

And what about Phil Rudd from AC/DC? If you can count to four and have a decent meter, you can play ANY AC/DC song out there.

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush

eyesre4.gif

I've listened to far too much music to consider anyone on this list to be lucky. They all worked their asses off and contributed to some of the greatest popular music ever written or performed. They may not drum in a style or proficiency that you admire and that's fine. But I don't think they are "lucky".

Charlie Watts and Ringo Starr are two of the greatest drummers to ever play in a rock band. I won't even entertain a debate over that assertion. tongue.gif Being a great drummer isn't all about speed and technical proficiency. There are few drummers who groove like Charlie Watts. And few drummers play as sympathetically to a song as Ringo Starr.

And that's to say nothing of drum sound, which doesn't solely depend on the engineer and studio. Listen to Sway or Can't You Hear Me Knocking on headphones. Listen to that snare sound. It's perfect.

Nick Mason? Sure, he's not the most proficient timekeeper. But with any other drummer, Pink Floyd would not sound like the Pink Floyd most of us love. Dave Gilmour has said as much himself.

These drummers were all perfect for their respective groups--three of the biggest, most influential rock bands to ever grace a studio or stage. There are simply different approaches to drumming that all have value.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Sep 5 2012, 09:04 AM)
Joey Jordinson from Slipknot. 062802puke_prv.gif 062802puke_prv.gif Speed on bassdrums does not = talent.

I agree that fast double bass does not make you great but i have stood behind Joey at a soundcheck and that little shit can play .

Ringo was in the Biggest band in the world

Keith Richards say's Charlie is a Great drummer and he has been playing Jazz for years

You want Luck ? 2 words for you , Travis Barker . What kind of world is it when T.B. is worth more than Neil ? A Sad world laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 5 2012, 10:29 AM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Sep 5 2012, 09:04 AM)
Joey Jordinson from Slipknot.  062802puke_prv.gif  062802puke_prv.gif  Speed on bassdrums does not = talent.

I agree that fast double bass does not make you great but i have stood behind Joey at a soundcheck and that little shit can play .

yes.gif

He does so much more than playing the double bass drums fast. He's a very talented drummer and he's one of those guys who's playing makes the bands sound what it is. Without him Slipknot has no sound at all.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 5 2012, 10:31 AM)
Keith Richards say's Charlie is a Great drummer and he has been playing Jazz for years
You want Luck ? 2 words for you , Travis Barker . What kind of world is it when T.B. is worth more than Neil ? A Sad world laugh.gif

Rihanna was taking drum lessons from him. Enough said.

It's sad when he's the most popular drummer just because of his personal life. Too many musicians are famous for the personal life instead of talent these days. This is what happens when Maroon 5 is the biggest "rock" band now. They're just a teenybopper boy group with a rhythm section and a bad one at that.

QUOTE (invisible airwave @ Sep 5 2012, 10:55 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Sep 5 2012, 10:31 AM)

Rihanna was taking drum lessons from him. Enough said.

It's sad when he's the most popular drummer just because of his personal life. Too many musicians are famous for the personal life instead of talent these days. This is what happens when Maroon 5 is the biggest "rock" band now. They're just a teenybopper boy group with a rhythm section and a bad one at that.

trink39.gif

I agree that anyone that makes it as a professional musician has to be pretty talented.

However, on the "lucky" scale, I would nominate Vinny Appice for your list. He's Carmine Appice's little brother. When Bill Ward left Black Sabbath during the Heaven and Hell tour the band reached out to Carmine. He wasn't available, but he suggested his little brother to them. Vinny's been in Black Sabbath (with both Ozzy and Dio at times), Dio, Heaven and Hell, and now Kill Devil Hill.

Peter Criss was lucky. When Gene and Paul think you're not very good, YOU'RE NOT VERY GOOD! tongue.gif Even Ace wouldn't work with Peter after leaving Kiss.

Now that said, I liked his style through about '77, BUT by all accounts (and by this I mean by Kiss's producers) he kept terrible time....didn't know common drumming lingo (like...can you play this at double time?). And while I also liked his vocal rasp, by all accounts he was really pitchy and it took WORK to get him to sound good in the studio.

And that was Peter Criss...a very average talent who took a lot of work to sound anything above that.

Add to that his cocaine use and well....

Edited by Presto-digitation

Just a word on Larry Mullen. Yes, basic/boring/competent, but it's more than "luck", he actually was responsible for forming U2 in the first place. "Luck" would be Adam Clayton.

Also, he has at least ONE iconic drum pattern under his belt, the intro to 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' is unmistakeable so complicated or not, the militaristic style intro set the tone for the rest of the song. That's one more than many others on that list.

Charlie is a phenomenal drummer. Listen to Watts at Scott's. Serious jazz chops.

Impeccable timing, nothing wasted.

Some of the Stones' finest moments are forever locked into our musical memory banks because of Charlie.

Honky Tonk Women, and roughly 3 seconds into Start Me Up....off he goes.

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Sep 5 2012, 07:33 AM)
Well, i hate to say this, but Nick Mason ain't the most talented drummer in the world. As somebody has pointed out, he does what is required for the band, but hey, you can do what its required and still be a little creative at it, can't you?

Go watch the Live At Pompeii dvd and see if your opinion of Nick is different. He was a really good drummer when he was younger. When he aged, not so much for sure.

QUOTE (driventotheedge @ Sep 5 2012, 03:12 PM)
QUOTE (Akron162 @ Sep 5 2012, 07:33 AM)
Well, i hate to say this, but Nick Mason ain't the most talented drummer in the world. As somebody has pointed out, he does what is required for the band, but hey, you can do what its required and still be a little creative at it,  can't you?

Go watch the Live At Pompeii dvd and see if your opinion of Nick is different. He was a really good drummer when he was younger. When he aged, not so much for sure.

I thought he did really well in the Pulse tour DVD, IMO.

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 5 2012, 09:22 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 5 2012, 09:03 AM)

I agree with everything you're saying (accept the Charlie Watts observation, that guy is brutal and I know you're kidding about the Peart-esqu drum solo at home bit rofl3.gif ) but the point is that all of these modestly talented drummers are mega-rich. Do they really deserve it??

For example, Ringo is a rich and famous drummer because he was in The Beatles, not because he is a great player or writer. I mean, the man if left-handed but sets his kit up as a right handed-drummer would...

Same with Charlie, not exactly challenging drumming. I saw him in Minneapolis with the Stones and I was disappointed. He barely moved all night. Bass, snare and hi-hats. The odd tenor and floor tom fill...

And what about Phil Rudd from AC/DC? If you can count to four and have a decent meter, you can play ANY AC/DC song out there.

Sorry man, can't agree with you on Phil Rudd. It's not as easy as people think to play so simple. Just listen to the stuff when Phil wasn't in the band- sure it's standard 4/4 beats, but no one has that groove that Rudd has. When he left the sound changed- ask any AC/DC fan and they'll agree. Sure he never wrote anything, but he is a huge part of the classic AC/DC sound. Getting ready for the backlash now from all the AC/DC haters! wink.gif