Anyone remember Max Webster?

Thunder Bay Rush

Back in the late 70s and into '80 and '81, Max Webster used to tour with Rush quite a lot. GREAT band! Nothing like Rush, but hard rock and progressive, melodic, whatever you want to call it... (funny too.) But, they broke up in '82 I believe.

Anyway, the front man, Kim Mitchell, went on to his own succesful solo career selling three platinum albums up here in Canada (or as they sometimes say in Arkansas, "Canadia") and he still plays about 20 shows a year.

Do any of you from the USA or other countries remember this band, or do you still listen to them? They were HUGE up here, selling out 15,000 arenas (headlining) but they had a tough time cracking the US and European markets.

If you haven't listened to "Max" I suggest you give them a go... unreal band. Kim Mitchell is probably the only Canadian guitar player that is considered by some to be even better than Alex Lifeson. He can really go...

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 4 2012, 07:33 PM)
Back in the late 70s and into '80 and '81, Max Webster used to tour with Rush quite a lot. GREAT band! Nothing like Rush, but hard rock and progressive, melodic, whatever you want to call it... (funny too.) But, they broke up in '82 I believe.

Anyway, the front man, Kim Mitchell, went on to his own succesful solo career selling three platinum albums up here in Canada (or as they sometimes say in Arkansas, "Canadia") and he still plays about 20 shows a year.

Do any of you from the USA or other countries remember this band, or do you still listen to them? They were HUGE up here, selling out 15,000 arenas (headlining) but they had a tough time cracking the US and European markets.

If you haven't listened to "Max" I suggest you give them a go... unreal band. Kim Mitchell is probably the only Canadian guitar player that is considered by some to be even better than Alex Lifeson. He can really go...

Saw them with Rush on the 1981 MP Tour...enjoyed their music...bought their current album at the time and one of Kim's solo efforts. Good stuff, though I never became a huge fan.

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 4 2012, 09:33 PM)
If you haven't listened to "Max" I suggest you give them a go... unreal band.  Kim Mitchell is probably the only Canadian guitar player that is considered by some to be even better than Alex Lifeson.  He can really go...

I agree check out "World of Giants"

Edited by jesse2112

I just checked up some of their songs in YouTube. Quite nice actually, but it doesn't pass to be a formulaic 70's pop rock band, in my opinnion.

That Kim Mitchell really can play though, but better that Alex Lifeson? C'mon...

I liked the Geddy Lee parts in Battle Scar.

Battlescar was a great tune. Geddy's voice was fantastic on this tune. I can't remember the name of the album, but there was a guy on a tightrope on the cover if memory serves. Great bass fills too.

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 4 2012, 10:19 PM)
Battlescar was a great tune. Geddy's voice was fantastic on this tune. I can't remember the name of the album, but there was a guy on a tightrope on the cover if memory serves. Great bass fills too.

That album is Universal Juveniles, the last Max album before they split.

Great band!! I have seen Kim Mitchell solo a few times in the last couple of years, most recently this past June. He still puts on a fantastic show, and the guy can still go on the guitar.

If he ever comes to your area in Canada, do not hesitate to go. Worth every penny.

I remember Max and also hearing Kim Mitchell's solo work on the radio. I grew up listening to radio out of Buffalo, NY. I think it was Rock 102, they had a DJ that spent about a week broadcasting from a cart on a ferris wheel. Radio ain't what it used to be. smile.gif

If anyone wants to check out Kim Mitchell's guitar work, listen to

"Oh War" from the High Class and Borrowed Shoes album

and;

"Beyond the Moon" from the Mutiny Up My Sleeve album.

This stuff will freak you out, I promise.

While you've got the "mutiny" album going, listen to "The Party" too.

Cat's in the bag, neighbours holler,

This party's higher than the EIFFEL TOWER!

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 5 2012, 12:27 AM)
If anyone wants to check out Kim Mitchell's guitar work, listen to

"Oh War" from the High Class and Borrowed Shoes album

and;

"Beyond the Moon" from the Mutiny Up My Sleeve album.

This stuff will freak you out, I promise.

While you've got the "mutiny" album going, listen to "The Party" too.

Cat's in the bag, neighbours holler,
This party's higher than the EIFFEL TOWER!

Oh man, Beyond The Moon is amazing! That solo at the end of the song is just out of control. He busts it out live during his solo shows every now and again and he can STILL pull it off perfectly!

Correct you are about the solo in Beyond the Moon. He just keeps going and going and going... and it sounds so cool.

I saw Max about 8 or 9 times back in the 70s and I honestly don't remember a better front man than Kim. He would OWN the crowd, not only through his playing and singing, but he is one seriously funny dude - and the way he moved his skinny little legs... his spin-o-ramma moves - that dude could FLY across the stage and with a guitar that was plugged in to the amp, no wireless back then!

By the way - he is about 6'2" or so and what did he weigh back then.... uh, about 105 pounds or something??

QUOTE (ReGorLaTroy @ Sep 5 2012, 05:28 PM)
Saw them open for Rush in 1977...Syracuse, New York

I live down the street from Syracuse. I would have loved to have been at that show but I was 6.

QUOTE (bigman208 @ Sep 4 2012, 11:01 PM)
QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Sep 4 2012, 10:19 PM)

That album is Universal Juveniles, the last Max album before they split.

Great band!! I have seen Kim Mitchell solo a few times in the last couple of years, most recently this past June. He still puts on a fantastic show, and the guy can still go on the guitar.

If he ever comes to your area in Canada, do not hesitate to go. Worth every penny.

That's right! I remember now. He was dressed in yellow. He is a great guitarist. Fantastic sound. If I had the chance I would go see him in a heartbeat.