Best Live Recording Ever?

Thunder Bay Rush

I've heard a lot of live Rush, including the recordings that are available as regular albums. I have a hard time listening to ATWA Stage, it's too raw for me, but I can see why it's popular - because it's raw.

Since I'm more a fan of the classic era, my favourite live recording is the one they did back in February, 1980, Keil Centre in St. Louis. Great production and recording, yes, but they played SO well... tight as a frog's ass. I prefer Geddy's so-called higher singing style and range too. And, I like the sound of Neil's drums much better back then, as compared to the live sound of his set now.

That show opened with 2112 and that is I what believe to be the best recording of 2112 ever, far better than the 1976 studio version or the ATWA Stage version. I'm not crazy at all about the studio version of 2112 for some reason I can't exactly define. I think it's the way the sound is compressed or something?? (Forgive me, I'm not a sound enginner) I can't stand the drum sounds on that album, they all sound like there are blankets taped to the heads... they don't even sound like real drums.

But, the St. Louis recording of 2112 - holy effing eff!

The audio portion is on You Tube if you wanna check it out... get ready to get the chills. If you're old like me, wear Depends.

I am probably the least "techie" person on this site. Believe me, I doubt that Bill Gates is concerened about me cutting in on his business. But, I did do some "surfing" yesterday with leads from this site and I was stunned at how many boot-leg recordings there are out there, both audio and video. I thought there'd be a few but holy sh**, there are hundreds going back to 1974.

Many of you probably already know about all this, but since I don't do a lot with computers (compared to most people these days) I just had no idea. I listened to a few samples and wow - there are some VERY good recordings on the net. So, my favourite, the 1980, St. Louis, Keil Auditorium recording, might have some newly found competition.

Question - Again, I'm not exactly "up" on the ins and outs or wrongs and rights of the internet, so - is it not illegal for us to buy or even possess such recordings? I'd LOVE to get my greasy little hands on some of this stuff, but I'm not sure how and whether or not I'd be breaking the law. I'm also not in favour of artists not getting paid for work their do, or in simple terms, getting ripped off.

Can anyone help a "non-techie" guy from the woods of northern Canada?

THX!

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 4 2012, 08:27 AM)
Can anyone help a "non-techie" guy from the woods of northern Canada?

Jeez, you make it sound like we live in the middle of nowhere!

...oh wait, we do. Never mind. wink.gif

Check out the "Different Stages" forum when you can, that area has a lot of information you want and if it isn' there, the people that know how to answer your questions are around.