Neil in Concert

Thunder Bay Rush

Okay, I'm probably going to pee on a few keyboards here, but before I start, for the record, Neil is my drum God and I'm obviously a huge fan. (I'm here, right?) I've read all of his books, etc... I started getting serious about playing the drums the very next day after I saw the 2112 concert in Ottawa, Ontario.

I know Neil shy's away from the spotlight and any sense of adulation embarrases him, but -

I have a complaint - After seeing 27 shows, I know what the end of the concert is like for Neil. He stands up, waves for about 5 - 6 seconds and then he splits. Again, I know he doesn't like all the "rock star" attention and stuff, but would it kill him (and the others) to come down to the centre stage and take 30 seconds to wave or just stand there and let people scream their asses off, or do whatever is normally done at the show's end by appreciative entertainers?

Since I know how he feels about all this I know that he doesn't simply leave the stage quickly because he doesn't care, but for fans who DON'T know about his feelings on this, they think he just doesn't give a sh** and wants to get the hell off the stage...

After all is said and done, if it weren't for ther fans, he might still be selling farm equipment parts in St. Catherines...

I totally agree that they should do more of a good night and thank you. Neil will never do it, but I've never understood the other two guys, especially Alex. Alex is a very outgoing and gregarious guy. It certainly wouldn't be out of character for him to do more than waive as he runs full speed off the stage, handing a roadie his guitar. It's almost like he thinks that some sort of rock star thing to do.

Back in the day, especially in New York, you had to get off stage by 11p or union over-time kicked in. I use to think that was why they ran off, because they would cut it so close.

Anyway, standing still for 30 seconds would be a welcome change.

Neil waves and then SPLITS. He is in his tour bus probably even before Geddy and Alex exit the stage. It's that quick. Ahh don't fault the guy for trying to beat traffic. He kicks ass on stage for 3+ hours 1022.gif 1022.gif

Hmmmmmmmmm, I'm not so sure about that. He can't possibly think that way otherwise he would have retired years ago, or at least - stopped touring.

By now, even the most casual fan knows not to bug the guy. If you cannot meet Neil as an "equal," (such as another professional musician, writer, artist, crew member, etc.) it will be perceived as forced and contrived...and THAT is where I believe he loathes meeting fans. He has met some fans before (pre-show), including a nice young lady who had a terminal illness. But generally, he does not mingle.

He has stated numerous times over the years (in print, and through interviews) that "meet and greets," crowds of gushing fans...and general pandemonium (pre and post show insanity) drive him up the wall. I kinda sympathize with him...as everytime I am faced with going into a Wal Mart anywhere on this planet...I think of his description of being forced into uncomfortable situations. My skin crawls.

After seeing Rush multiple shows since Signals (as most here have done, I'm sure) I had a chance (through a crew member) years ago in Dallas to *possibly* say hello to Neil (face-to-face) just before he started changing his bike oil. It was mid-afternoon, and there were maybe 30 or 40 people chillin' in the parking lot of Smirnoff.

This was *before* I had any copies of his 3 books...so I wasn't completely up to speed on how he has had to deal with the "Circus"or "Vortex" for so many years.

Totally innocent, just a hello. No psychotic, stammering fan boi craziness...just a hello. After 30 minutes of waiting on the side of a crew bus (not Neil's bus), I was told by my friend that it would have to be "cleared" through Michael M. (who is a nice guy, also) and/or Liam or C.B. (this was to take place before crew meal and soundcheck, when there was dead time pre-show). Thinking this was going to be an issue for my friend, I just politely said, "forget it, bro."

I knew it was going to be a hassle for Neil (and the few people who ran interference that afternoon trying to help me). I lived through it, lol. No big deal, really. I wasn't "crushed." It didn't make the show that evening terrible, either...Though we aggravated Howard a bit that night, anyway. LOL.

I guess what bothers me is the difference between a few people right in his face who tell him how great he is, "I have all your CDs and I've read all your books," and "I can play your solo"... "you're the best drummer ever" ... on and on, as opposed to standing there in front of 15,000 people who must stay their distance and who CAN'T get right in his face and tell him how "great he is" and all the rest of it.

I hosted a TV series for eight seasons and I had a very small taste of what he goes through at times, although what I went through was about 1% of what he must. But, still, when people did approach me, I was as polite as I could be, given the circumstances.

It wouldn't kill the guy to stand there for a bit and show his appreciation... Alex too. He normally hits the road pretty quick, often before Geddy is finished with his "Thank you for coming out" duties.

Jeez, I must sound like a dick...

unsure.gif

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 3 2012, 05:07 PM)
Jeez, I must sound like a dick...

unsure.gif

You're not a dick. You're one of thousands and thousands who want the same thing. Our wanting Neil to come out for half a minute isn't a crime. It's normal behavior for rabid rock fans.

And Neil's not being a dick, either. It's just not his style to come out and bask in the applause. He doesn't dig all the extra attention and/or worship. And, like others have said, he may really have to go to the can! laugh.gif

I think after playing the way he plays and entertaining you the way he does for 2.5+ hours....he has every right to leave the stage anyway he wants.

These types of postings are more about the way you feel about it, than whether or not they feel a certain way.

Neil is an introvert, as such it is remarkable he ever became a rock star, take what you can get and be happy. He just melted your face for an entire show now he has to stand there and bask in applause too before you are happy? Seriously?

You bring up a good point.

Yeah we all know about Neil not wanting to do the rock star thing, but would it really hurt to take a bow as a group right after the show? I mean we're not asking for them to come out into the crowd and shake hands for half an hour, just take 30 seconds to stand there as a group and wave. They could stand 10 feet back from the edge of the stage where we can't get close to them.

I've always been a big fan of that. Van Halen always did it and they're a bunch of assholes. Kiss, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots...everyone does it.

From my seat at the Tampa show, T4E tour, I was able to see Geddy run off stage left, down some steps and into the arms of a guy holding a great big robe to wrap around him where he ran farther into the arena and out of sight....ya know...that really kinda blew my image of him....From where I was sitting and the angle he left, it seemed like he was actually running away from me.

I'm way over it now and completely get where Neil, Geddy and Alex are coming from when they get the hell off stage...I mean who doesn't like to get out of work fast just as fast as they can to get away from their job?

I get it, but I'd still like to see them as a group take a bow.

Edited by OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan

Most professional musicians, stage managers and producers will all tell you to, "say thank you, wave to the crowd, and run off stage". This is the pro way to end a rock show. It's not a theater performance or play...it's a rock concert.

The old saying will always stand true, "always leave them wanting more". You never stand there on stage an glitter dick for the crowd. So I agree with how Rush handles themselves at the end of a show.

Oh, I see. Some folks need to complain that, despite Neil working his ass off for us for 3 hours and giving us a few waves of appreciation for the applause before departing.. that's not enough. He must be like VH or The Beatles and give us bows and stand there to soak up your applause for what some think is the proper amount of time. Oh brother. facepalm.gif

This doesn't bother me in the slightest. And since it's been this way with them for so long, I can't actually imagine them doing it. It would seem odd or almost comical, naw'mean?

Why does it even matter? The three hour awesome show would not be improved at all by taking a bow. If Neil not basking in the crowd's response for a while leaves a bad taste in your mouth, you clearly don't know anything about his personality.

I really couldn't care less if they extend their goodbye and take a bow. I'm there for a show, and when it's done, that's it. What I would want more than a group bow is a chance to meet them and shake their hands. Now THAT would be special! But I recognize their limitations - they perform a great show and obviously can't meet every one of their fans personally.

2.gif

QUOTE (glennb2112 @ Sep 3 2012, 11:40 AM)
Neil waves and then SPLITS. He is in his tour bus probably even before Geddy and Alex exit the stage. It's that quick. Ahh don't fault the guy for trying to beat traffic. He kicks ass on stage for 3+ hours 1022.gif 1022.gif

After the Toledo time machine show, we split right as the "I love you man" movie clip started...( had seen it, and was trying to beat traffic) . No other fans were leaving, and as we got out of the arena we saw peart's trailered bus drive off. So he's out of the arena before the house lights come on. Due to a really bad accident, traffic was brutal- and we ended up being next to his bus on the highway at 2 mph for a good 10 miles...

Some very interesting points of view on both sides of the debate. I can see that a lot of people would to like to see the classic rock star bow at centre stage. But then again, many feel that since Neil and the other guys have done their job by playing a great show, so they're free to hit the road.

I can see both sides, no doubt. I just think it would be great PR if they'd give just a little bit more. Is 30 seconds too much to ask, especially for Neil since he doesn't do meet and greets, etc... ??