Would you want a 1974 style rush, today?

ReflectedLight

Nah. I only agree with the whole 'stripping down the sound' thing to a point. I can do without Geddy choirs, orchestras, 360-degree drumsets, and double-necked guitars, but keys, pedals, and effects add an important dimension to their sound that I'm unwilling to let go. Edited by NYM86

No, not after hearing what they sound like WITH all the additional sounds. But, it's cool in concert to the see the three of just pounding away on guitar, bass and drums for a bit... usually near the end of a show.

I think it'd be suuuuuper cool to hear some "stripped down" Rush now. That being said, the self title and Fly By Night aren't even close to my favorite albums.

At the same time, I feel like Clockwork Angels is kind-of-sort-of like that. Like, it really feels more, I don't know, at home with Geddy and Alex. Like they're really trying to bring it back to basics. Granted, there's a lot of added sounds, keys and ambient pads and such, but I feel like they really got a raw Rush sound on Clockwork. If nothing else, Neil got back to his thing. I'm not a big Vapor Trails fan and it took me forever to get into Test for Echo, only because Neil strays so far from what makes him Neil (snare and high hat), and he really got back to that on Clockwork Angels.

But yeah, I feel like Clockwork is the closest thing we're gonna get now-a-days, and I'm ok with that.

NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif

Edited by WabbaJack

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Sep 3 2012, 12:30 PM)
Nah. I only agree with the whole 'stripping down the sound' thing to a point. I can do without Geddy choirs, orchestras, 360-degree drumsets, and double-necked guitars, but keys, pedals, and effects add an important dimension to their sound that I'm unwilling to let go.

This.

Alex still had distortion on first album so he needs that. The best thing about 1974 was the amount of overdubbing they do today was not easily or cheaply accomplished back then so they couldn't muddy everything up with too much stuff.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Sep 3 2012, 10:59 AM)
i'm a fan of the first album, and i wouldn't mind hearing what they could put together for an album without any added effects, additional strings, pedals, etc..., but would you?  It would be a super stripped down sound of nothing but guitar, bass, and drums.

Umm... yeah. It's called Feedback. That's exactly how it would sound. I don't think they can comfortably strip it down any further than that.

Given that i'm not a fan of the entire first album, that wouldn't interest me.

As with other posters, I enjoy the bands' creatively up to a point. The synths, the effects, the 80's.

But i still think a live string section is stupid, and i'm holding out on buying concert tickets til i hear how it was executed on the first show.