Rush Poster 1979

dayglow76

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/538897_3240675714957_1320108690_n.jpg

Can anybody tell me the origins of this poster? It says copyright 1979 cat productions and i have never seen another one.

Anyway this is the first time I've taken it out of the plastic,my dad got it for me some years ago but not at a show. He died of cancer last year and I've always wanted to get it signed but I doubt that will ever happen and i didn't want to risk lugging to the shows in Dallas I've been to since Roll the bones tour.

Anyway any info would be a huge help,thanks.

There's not a lot to tell. I guess it was made around the Hemispheres tour and was available in the early 80's at record shops all over although there were far more common 2.gif posters

I had that poster. Bought it around '82 at some record shop somewhere. Sold it on ebay a couple of years ago. I think I got around 15 or 20 bucks for it.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Sep 3 2012, 05:37 AM)
There's not a lot to tell. I guess it was made around the Hemispheres tour and was available in the early 80's at record shops all over although there were far more common 2.gif posters

I had that poster. Bought it around '82 at some record shop somewhere. Sold it on ebay a couple of years ago. I think I got around 15 or 20 bucks for it.

I think I bought it from you bekloppt.gif

I became a Rush fan in 1981, and I had that poster in the early 80's. I'm sure I got it from a record store as that's the only place I bought posters back then, and as memory served, it was a commonly available poster at the time, although I haven't seen a copy for many, many years.

I grew up with that poster! First my older brother had it. He won it at the dutchess county fair in the early '80's. Then it was on my wall through high school.

It's a shot from the hemispheres tour. This brings back such great memories. Thank you!!

Yip I had it as well along with loads more. Not sure if mine are still up in my Mums loft (attic), I had the one i bought at the AFTK's tour with Ged & Alex playing double necks & the P Waves tour multicoloured one plus about 10 more!!

I had this poster also...until I bequeathed it to my best friend, also a huge Rush collector.

Actually...the background image is from the Kings tour (performing Xanadu).

Alex (foreground circle pic) is from the Spheres tour.

Ged (foreground circle pic) is from the Spheres tour.

Neil (foreground circle pic) is also from the Kings tour.

Not splitting hairs here...just stating where the images originated for the poster.

I had that poster as well, though I think it was a reprint. I bought it in the late 80s maybe 90. If memories serve, I bought it around the

Presto era...I think.

Transparent Green is correct.

The main thing I noticed is Geddy's keyboard which, in the main picture, is a Mini-Moog and it is positioned sideways to his right. On the Hemispheres tour he was using an OBX, a much larger multi keyboard and it was postioned on an angle to his left.

The inset pictures are from Hemispheres, no doubt. For one, Alex's hair. He had it permed for much of that tour. I saw both tours in Ottawa and that's one thing I remember for some strange reason. And, the clothing... Hemispheres tour.

In the main picture they're almost certainly playing Xanadu, due to the double-neck guitars, Geddy on the mini-Moog, Alex who looks like he's using his volumn pedal (for the opening segment) and Neil, who is standing likely to play his temple blocks and wind chimes.

I had this poster too, on my bedroom wall, until a friend of mine begged me to give it him. That was in grade 10. Prick.

I had that poster and many others. Bought it in 1982 - long gone. Definitely Xanadu from the look of it.

I forgot all about it until your post. Thanks. smile.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Sep 3 2012, 03:43 AM)
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/538897_3240675714957_1320108690_n.jpg

Can anybody tell me the origins of this poster? It says copyright 1979 cat productions and i have never seen another one.

Anyway this is the first time I've taken it out of the plastic,my dad got it for me some years ago but not at a show. He died of cancer last year and I've always wanted to get it signed but I doubt that will ever happen and i didn't want to risk lugging to the shows in Dallas I've been to since Roll the bones tour.

I had the poster on my bedroom wall in 82-84.

QUOTE (tommyali @ Sep 3 2012, 08:24 AM)
I grew up with that poster! First my older brother had it. He won it at the dutchess county fair in the early '80's. Then it was on my wall through high school.
It's a shot from the hemispheres tour. This brings back such great memories. Thank you!!

Dutchess county fair.....right across the river from me. I as well had this poster in the late 70's / early 80's. I also had the 42x58 "super poster" from the same time frame.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 3 2012, 04:59 PM)

What happened after '84?

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Sep 3 2012, 08:13 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 3 2012, 04:59 PM)

What happened after '84?

graduated and entered the US Army. No Rush posters allowed in barracks.

Thunder Bay...Rush has had a long love affair with Oberheim products.

Ged picked up an Oberheim "Eight Voice" polyphonic synth mid '78, as the guys were about to begin work on Hemispheres, after the U.K. Kings tour.

Ged (along with Tony G.) hired a private company in the U.S. to configure and customize the Eight Voice to also "house" a Mini-Moog in the top right corner of the unit's cabinet. The Eight Voice showed up at Rockfield "DOA," and had to be disassembled and repaired.

Tony G. integrated a set of Moog Taurus pedals to communicate with the Eight Voice synth...allowing some of the Oberheim string pads to be played as presets through the Taurus pedals (as heard in La Villa Strangiato and Prelude).

May I add...Tony G. did this *PRIOR* to MIDI being professionaly implemented for all musical instruments. Ya. Pretty amazing ingenuity.

Tony's brother also did incredible synth work for Blue Oyster Cult.

An Oberheim OB-1 came next for Permanent Waves (as heard in the synth arpeggiation during the choruses of The Spirit of Radio - Neil doubles this arpeggiation on Glockenspiel).

The OBX came next for Moving Pictures (Opening growl of Tom Sawyer).

The OBX-A came for the tail end of Moving Pictures/Tour of the Nadars, all of Signals and Grace Under Pressure.

Arturia has released Eight Voice OEM software...and Oberheim has brought back the OEM unit....allowing anyone to daisy-chain them into an Eight Voice once again. Old is "new" again.

Edited by Transparent Green

QUOTE (Transparent Green @ Sep 4 2012, 12:55 PM)
Thunder Bay...Rush has had a long love affair with Oberheim products.

Ged picked up an Oberheim "Eight Voice" polyphonic synth mid '78, as the guys were about to begin work on Hemispheres, after the U.K. Kings tour. 

Ged (along with Tony G.) hired a private company in the U.S. to configure and customize the Eight Voice to also "house" a Mini-Moog in the top right corner of the unit's cabinet.  The Eight Voice showed up at Rockfield "DOA," and had to be disassembled and repaired. 

Tony G. integrated a set of Moog Taurus pedals to communicate with the Eight Voice synth...allowing some of the Oberheim string pads to be played as presets through the Taurus pedals (as heard in La Villa Strangiato and Prelude).

May I add...Tony G. did this *PRIOR* to MIDI being professionaly implemented for all musical instruments.  Ya.  Pretty amazing ingenuity.

Tony's brother also did incredible synth work for Blue Oyster Cult.

An Oberheim OB-1 came next for Permanent Waves (as heard in the synth arpeggiation during the choruses of The Spirit of Radio - Neil doubles this arpeggiation on Glockenspiel).

The OBX came next for Moving Pictures (Opening growl of Tom Sawyer).

The OBX-A came for the tail end of Moving Pictures/Tour of the Nadars, all of Signals and Grace Under Pressure.

Arturia has released Eight Voice OEM software...and Oberheim has brought back the OEM unit....allowing anyone to daisy-chain them into an Eight Voice once again.  Old is "new" again.

Wow...and I thought they were just little trippy pianos....

Just kidding....

Very informative....Nice job!!!