Best Rush Instrumental Ever?

Thunder Bay Rush

Hi everyone, new guy here from Thunder Bay, Ontario.

For some reason YYZ always comes up as the best instrumental, but I'm not so sure about that one. Good song, but the best?

My vote goes to La Villa Strangiatto, no contest. All three players are smokin' especially Lifeson. Crazy solos. And, if you realize they were only 23 or 24 when they wrote that one. NUTS!

And, I'm new here, so if this question was asked before... Please don't throw any Rush mudcakes at me...

unsure.gif

La Villa is probably my go to on this one. However I would like to see where's my thing played some more. I've been seeing them live since counterparts and don't believe it's been played once since RTB.

Agreed. No comparison.

First, the effort that went into that song....all 9:35 of it.

Beautiful classical guitar intro

The slow build into the power chords

The sections of all of the song, each so well composed and tightly played:

I. Buenos Nochas, Mein Froinds! (0:00)

II. To sleep, perchance to dream... ( 0:27)

III. Strangiato theme (2:00)

IV. A Lerxst in Wonderland (3:16)

V. Monsters! (5:49)

VI. The Ghost of the Aragon (6:10)

VII. Danforth and Pape (6:45)

VIII. The Waltz of the Shreves (7:26)

IX. Never turn your back on a Monster! (7:52)

X. Monsters! (Reprise) (8:03)

XI. Strangiato theme (Reprise) (8:17)

XII. A Farewell to Things (9:17)

12 parts all perfect. The emotion is palpable. The delicacy of parts, the intensity and power of others. Broon's production and mixing is impeccable.

I believe it is the single best rock instrumental ever recorded.

Hmmmm, I get the feeling you've listened to that song a time or two... Alex's guitar work is SO good all throughout, but it's also very original. I'd never heard anything like that before and back then I was (and still am) a big fan of Steve Hackett and Steve Howe. Even when he was 24, he could give those boys a run for their English Pounds.

It amazes me that Alex doesn't receive more recognition as one of the VERY best rock guitar players. Neil and Geddy often clean up in polls and reviews, but for some reason, Alex seems to get screwed over. I'm sick of hearing about Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Page.

Back to the song - Geddy and Neil... the back and forth solos after the mid-section are unreal. I've been playing drums all my life and I still can't quite get that solo down. (Very close, but NOT "down.")

QUOTE (vital signz @ Sep 2 2012, 09:32 PM)
Agreed.  No comparison.

First, the effort that went into that song....all 9:35 of it.

Beautiful classical guitar intro
The slow build into the power chords
The sections of all of the song, each so well composed and tightly played:
I. Buenos Nochas, Mein Froinds! (0:00)
II. To sleep, perchance to dream... ( 0:27)
III. Strangiato theme (2:00)
IV. A Lerxst in Wonderland (3:16)
V. Monsters! (5:49)
VI. The Ghost of the Aragon (6:10)
VII. Danforth and Pape (6:45)
VIII. The Waltz of the Shreves (7:26)
IX. Never turn your back on a Monster! (7:52)
X. Monsters! (Reprise) (8:03)
XI. Strangiato theme (Reprise) (8:17)
XII. A Farewell to Things (9:17)

12 parts all perfect.  The emotion is palpable. The delicacy of parts, the intensity and power of others.  Broon's production and mixing is impeccable. 

I believe it is the single best rock instrumental ever recorded.

goodpost.gif and dead on accurate.

Yes, La Villa. It is the one song I always want to hear on every tour. Alex's solo wub.gif

Although YYZ is a close, close second.

trink39.gif

YYZ over La Villa for 1 main reason, its short like a normal song, but has a ton of parts crammed into it. Its very hard hitting, where La Villa is strung out a bit, not as many parts crammed in, some longer drawn out sections, so to me its just not quite as refined as YYZ, which is no surprise that YYZ came later.

They realized what was good about La Villa, and what could be improved to create the perfect instrumental. There's no singing, so shorten it, add more in it so it feels packed to make up for the lack of vocals. I like La Villa, but not on the same level of perfection that YYZ is.

Probably LVS for the killer drums.

YYZ is probably next, though like was said above I think they should play PArt 4 of the Gangster of Boats Trilogy this tour as it's badass.*

*And please, no Limbo!