Opening with 2112

Alchemical

2112 (Overture + Temple of Syrinx) as an opener?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. 2112 (Overture + Temple of Syrinx) as an opener?

• HELL YES! It would get the crowd pumped like crazy.
    • I'm iffy about it, wouldn't it strain Geddy's voice?
    • Never. It should always be played near the end of the show. It's tradition.
    • Doesn't matter to me as long as it's somewhere in the setlist.

2112 wouldn't be bad, but I like it towards the end.

I think there are important factors involved in its placement in the show.

When the show starts, not everyone is in full concert mode (I know most of us are but most of the people at shows aren't us). There are people who just arrived and are settling in. Most people are only a beer or two into the night and might not be loosened up fully. There are fans who have never seen a show and might be a little uptight and unsure of the crowd and what to expect. It's gonna be a big crowd and no one want's to be "that guy" who didn't do the 2112 "HEY". There are gonna be people who know almost nothing about 2.gif and they need to introduced to the majesty of the experience...These are very gentle and fragile creatures who might run screaming into the night when 2112 is played.

When it's all said and done, 2112 is an "about as all pumped up as you're gonna get" song and it needs to be at the end when everyone is about as pumped up as they're gonna get....ya know....for that gigantic gushing climactic release. wink.gif

Save it for the end boys, save it for the end.

It would be awesome as an opener but at this point I don't believe Geddy would want to strain his voice by trying to go that high right at the start of the show. It works better towards the end of the concert and it's probably easier for Geddy to sing it later in the set once he's got his voice going for the night. Edited by J2112YYZ

There's not an option for 'put it to rest', which is what I wish they would do. I'd prefer to hear Xanadu with the time that 2112 takes up. Yes, 2112 is epic, but let's put it to rest and play some different material.

There comes a time when we have to throw out those comfy Chuck Taylors that we wore in high school.

QUOTE (mmm_donuts @ Sep 2 2012, 05:38 PM)
There comes a time when we have to throw out those comfy Chuck Taylors that we wore in high school.

But what if they still look and fit OK? You can still keep them and wear them around the house at least wink.gif

I remember listening to Rush on th radio at the Kiel Center in St. Louis, Feb, (three nights sold out) 1980 (PW tour) and they opened with 2112. That was and still is the best opening ever... I wish I was there to see it.

They also opened with 2112 on the Moving Pictures tour and I DID see that one! Effing amazing...

I doubt they'd open with it now though.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Sep 2 2012, 06:00 AM)
2112 wouldn't be bad, but I like it towards the end.

I think there are important factors involved in its placement in the show.

When the show starts, not everyone is in full concert mode (I know most of us are but most of the people at shows aren't us). There are people who just arrived and are settling in. Most people are only a beer or two into the night and might not be loosened up fully. There are fans who have never seen a show and might be a little uptight and unsure of the crowd and what to expect. It's gonna be a big crowd and no one want's to be "that guy" who didn't do the 2112 "HEY". There are gonna be people who know almost nothing about 2.gif and they need to introduced to the majesty of the experience...These are very gentle and fragile creatures who might run screaming into the night when 2112 is played.

When it's all said and done, 2112 is an "about as all pumped up as you're gonna get" song and it needs to be at the end when everyone is about as pumped up as they're gonna get....ya know....for that gigantic gushing climactic release. wink.gif

Save it for the end boys, save it for the end.

I don't get what you're talking about with saying people aren't in concert mode yet at the start of the show? All eight times i've seen Rush the crowd was ready to go and very enthusiastic when the concert started. In fact, in 20 years of going to concerts of all kinds, i've never once been in a crowd that wasn't ready to go once the lights went out and the main act hit the stage.

I think Geddy should warm his voice up before singing that song, so I don't think it would be good as an opener. If that wasn't an issue, it would be a kick ass opener. I still think Subdivisions is a good opener for this year. It's a different opener from say The Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer, and it's a nice way to acknowledge Signals anniversary. Also, it's relatively easy for Geddy to sing, I'd imagine.

As I just said in the Natural Science thread, Rush never starts off any tours with long songs, and for a very good reason. It's not the best way to get a crowd going. Hit them with 3 strong songs they know (no new songs, too many of their old fans do not buy their new albums, Rush is aware of this when you look at the low sales of their modern albums), and go from there.

They always start off with very well known songs, TSOR, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Dreamline, Big Money, stuff like that. Subdivisions would work. Its always those short powerful songs that people know. Many bands live by that rule. It just works best.

Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Sep 3 2012, 09:33 AM)
As I just said in the Natural Science thread, Rush never starts off any tours with long songs, and for a very good reason. It's not the best way to get a crowd going. Hit them with 3 strong songs they know (no new songs, too many of their old fans do not buy their new albums, Rush is aware of this when you look at the low sales of their modern albums), and go from there.

They always start off with very well known songs, TSOR, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Dreamline, Big Money, stuff like that. Subdivisions would work. Its always those short powerful songs that people know. Many bands live by that rule. It just works best.

Trenken...I Agruu, I Agrrr, I aaaaah,... Damn it I AGREE with you!. Damn that was difficult.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 2 2012, 08:51 PM)

But what if they still look and fit OK? You can still keep them and wear them around the house at least wink.gif

I hope you don't apply that logic to the underwear you wore in high school wink.gif

QUOTE (mmm_donuts @ Sep 3 2012, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Sep 2 2012, 08:51 PM)

I hope you don't apply that logic to the underwear you wore in high school wink.gif

If they still fit then why not? laugh.gif