CA = The Wall?

glennb2112

QUOTE (glennb2112 @ Sep 1 2012, 11:00 AM)
Future tour...Pipe dream or possibility??

thoughts...

On the same level as The Wall? Pipe Dream. The fact that The Floyd was selling out stadiums enabled them to go all out for the visual setup, which was as much about the tour as the music.

Rush will have something very cool, no doubt about it, but it won't touch The majesty of The Wall tour

Musically, I think The Wall is so overrated. Too many skips. Clockwork ANgels is a much better album IMO

Hmmmm.....i can't decide which I like better. Both have great great tunes, but both have a lot of material i skip. So they might be on the same level for me. As far as a show. I don't see Rush doing an extravagant show like the Floyd did.

Mick

I think that "The Wall" was an amazing live show (I went to see the RW show). However, there is ALOT of filler on the album to keep the story moving, and are few tracks that could stand alone and still be classics. As for CA, there isn't so much filler (BU2B and HE are the only two I can think of). I don't think the show is going to be on as big of a scale since they aren't playing JUST this album in concert. The Floyd would ONLY play "The Wall" and have the whole show based on that. I think the show will definitely be ambitious and very well put together, but I don't know that it'll be on that large of a scale. I guess we'll find out in 6 days!!! I think it would be cool to see like a ferris wheel, caravan blimp, or wreckers ship as like props. Although, I don't think anything is going to beat a thrity foot tall teacher/Wall and a dive bombing WWII plane

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Sep 1 2012, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (glennb2112 @ Sep 1 2012, 11:00 AM)
Future tour...Pipe dream or possibility?? 

thoughts...

On the same level as The Wall? Pipe Dream. The fact that The Floyd was selling out stadiums enabled them to go all out for the visual setup, which was as much about the tour as the music.

Rush will have something very cool, no doubt about it, but it won't touch The majesty of The Wall tour

Musically, I think The Wall is so overrated. Too many skips. Clockwork ANgels is a much better album IMO

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

You must be the only other person I've ever met who's also held the view that The Wall is overrated. laugh.gif

The Wall has been beathorse.gif Can u imagine Rush touring with the same program after 30 years... I mean the Wall was great when it came out and blew everyone away but its getting to long in the tooth for me... Same with the Who's rolling out Quadraphenia next year schla03.gif I would take Dark side or animals anyday.

QUOTE (The Vigilante @ Sep 2 2012, 11:00 AM)
The Wall has been beathorse.gif Can u imagine Rush touring with the same program after 30 years... I mean the Wall was great when it came out and blew everyone away but its getting to long in the tooth for me... Same with the Who's rolling out Quadraphenia next year schla03.gif I would take Dark side or animals anyday.

Dark side is worn out too.....I agree about Animals though. One of my very favorite Floyd Albums yes.gif

Mick

Nah, CA is too short! You would need much more than just 66 minutes of music to fill up a whole show about Clockwork Angels. Even Roger Water's extends songs and adds new one to increase the running time of the wall.

cool.gif

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Sep 4 2012, 06:36 PM)
The Wall = the best double album of all time. name a better one...

The Wall is bloated, overblown, and melodramatic. It isn't even the best of its type (that would be The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway), let alone the best "of all time".

Dark Side of the Moon = one of the most flawless albums of all time. name another one as flawless...

I can't. laugh.gif

Edited by StellarJetman

The Wall = the best double album of all time. name a better one..

Strangers in the night, Physical graffiti, Electric ladyland, The White album...

.... Imo

Edited by MMCXII

QUOTE (The Vigilante @ Sep 2 2012, 11:00 AM)

Both great examples of what makes Rush so phenomenal. Roger Waters rolls out The Wall 30 years later and The Who having to go back to an album 40 years old to see arenas. Can you imagine either of these bands making a new album and touring to support it with any level of success? They just don't have it in them or don't care enough to bother...but Rush's standards are just on a totally different level

Not sure how to answer this question, so I'll make the comparison on 3 levels:

Wide acceptance - Not even close. The Wall is widely regarded as one of the best concept albums of all time. Only die-hard Rush fans know of CA's existance right now. Perhaps it will gain recognition over time.

Conceptually - CA is a good story and a great effort, but I think The Wall is better as an overall concept album. Maybe reading CA (novel) will change my mind.

Musically - CA has my vote. EVERY song is very strong (I don't consider BU2TB2 a song per se). The Wall has it's ups and downs musically.

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Sep 4 2012, 08:36 PM)

Tales from Topographic Oceans, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Physical Graffiti, and Quadrophenia are all far better. smile.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Sep 5 2012, 08:30 PM)
QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Sep 4 2012, 08:36 PM)

Tales from Topographic Oceans, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Physical Graffiti, and Quadrophenia are all far better. smile.gif

Tales From Topographic Oceans - Yes

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - An acquired tasted for sure

Physical Graffiti - Probably

Quadrophenia - No way