Pyro at Rush shows

Mark_L

OK, so I'm just seeing if anyone else has any information regarding the pyro effects that Rush has incorporated into their live shows over the years. Here's what I know of:

Time Machine

-Marathon: "shot in the dark" bang

-Witch Hunt: fire

-Caravan: flames for "world lit only by fire", sparklers for "long train of flares"

-2112: flames at the end of Overture

-Far Cry: fireworks for "circuits blowing"

Snakes & Arrows

-Far Cry: fireworks

-Witch Hunt: flames

-2112: bang at the end of Overture

-One Little Victory: fire with dragon sequence

R30: Dragon with fire during One Little Victory. I believe this was the only pyro effect they used on this tour, same with Vapor Trails tour.

Test For Echo - anything? I'm not sure confused13.gif

Counterparts - fireworks at the end of Stick It Out, flames during Double Agent "cross of holy fire"

Looks like they did the explosion during Red Sector A for the GUP and PoW tours, but dropped it for the HYF tour.

Does anyone know of any other effects during the 80s and 90s tours? Just curious to know. cool.gif

there will be pyrotechnics, but who knows where. I need to know.. I can handle any noise but fireworks.. and I like to plug my ears when the firework goes off.... hahahahaha.

Since this is the first North American tour they're playing arenas in just about every city since the first leg of the T4E tour, I don't expect a lot of pyro or explosions. The smoke obviously stays around much longer when indoors, so not having many explosions would be wise.

I will make one pyro prediction though, during The Wreckers when Geddy says "Striking down like a bolt from the bule" I think we'll see a big flashing light follwed by a loud boom.

No pyrotechnics in Montreal. tongue.gif At the bell centre we get ONE firework per show because of strict safety regulations. I was so disappointed after seeing them in toronto that there were no flamethrowers in montreal. Edited by USB Connector

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Aug 30 2012, 01:21 AM)
At one of the shows I was at in 2010 there was a dude who kept flicking a Bic lighter and kept yelling "Freeeee Biiiiiird"!!!!!

That's funny! rofl3.gif

"Turn it up"

QUOTE (Mark_L @ Aug 29 2012, 07:01 PM)
OK, so I'm just seeing if anyone else has any information regarding the pyro effects that Rush has incorporated into their live shows over the years. Here's what I know of:

Time Machine
-Marathon: "shot in the dark" bang
-Witch Hunt: fire
-Caravan: flames for "world lit only by fire", sparklers for "long train of flares"
-2112: flames at the end of Overture
-Far Cry: fireworks for "circuits blowing"

Snakes & Arrows
-Far Cry: fireworks
-Witch Hunt: flames
-2112: bang at the end of Overture
-One Little Victory: fire with dragon sequence

R30: Dragon with fire during One Little Victory. I believe this was the only pyro effect they used on this tour, same with Vapor Trails tour.

Test For Echo - anything? I'm not sure confused13.gif

Counterparts - fireworks at the end of Stick It Out, flames during Double Agent "cross of holy fire"

Looks like they did the explosion during Red Sector A for the GUP and PoW tours, but dropped it for the HYF tour.

Does anyone know of any other effects during the 80s and 90s tours? Just curious to know. cool.gif

I think you pretty much got them all. I do remember 'back in the day' they had a Pyro shot at the beginning of Bastille Day.

I'm a licensed pyrotechnician so of course I would love to see more Pyro at Rush shows, but they've always used it sparingly and tastefully.

If you want to see a fireworks display at a rock concert, just go see Kiss.

All I know is that I very clearly remember the "Cross of Holy Fire" Pyrotechnics during the CP tour. I was about 100 rows away and I thought my face was gonna' melt it was so hot.*

*It was also SO AWESOME!!!!

I think as technology has improved so has Rush's stage show! Yeehaw!

I saw A Farewell To Kinigs in Ottawa, Canada, and yes, they had a huge flashpot explosion, one on each side of the stage... right on the first note after the accoustic intro. And, the HUGE airpost landing lights blinded the audience.

I nearly sh** my pants... so did 10,000 other people.

Yes, Rush has always had a state of the art light show. One of my favorites was PoW (Jan '86) in Territories during the keyboard "flash" before Geddy started singing. It was blinding and incredible! I still recall it everytime I hear the song.

Something tells me we'll get pyro at a few places:

- IF they play Caravan, same last Time Machine

- During 'Clockwork Angels', something tells me we'll get tracer rockets when Geddy goes "Stars aglow like scattered sparks, span the sky in clockwork arcs". Rockets in sync with "Sparks" and "Arcs".

- And then the usual during Far Cry, and possibly some flames here and there.

I'm hoping Howard decides to bring lasers back on this tour. Time Machine just was weird without seeing lasers once the whole show.

Edited by GuitarPlyr01

T4E I rember them having alot of small scale satellites on stage, along with lasers. I think they used the satellites to reflect the laser beams during different parts of the show.

I cannot remember any pyro, but I would think they would have, for some of the Counterparts songs. I would have to dig out the bootleg vhs to check, but I no longer have a working VCR!

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Aug 30 2012, 07:02 AM)
Since this is the first North American tour they're playing arenas in just about every city since the first leg of the T4E tour, I don't expect a lot of pyro or explosions. The smoke obviously stays around much longer when indoors, so not having many explosions would be wise.

Eh...they're using a lot of moving head light fixtures, so before the show the techs were using hazers to get some fog in the air so the beams are more visible. I doubt using pyro does anything more than make their job easier.

I didn't count the times pyro was used in the Chicago show, but it was a fair amount. Pyro seems to be making a BIG comeback in stage shows. It fell out of fashion for a while after the Great White fire back in 2003, but judging from tonight's show and the Iron Maiden concerts I attended earlier in the summer, pyro is back with a vengeance.

I, for one, was drooling over their stage setup. It was absolutely gorgeous, and the lighting design was fantastic. Pyro's just the icing on the cake. I would love to know what kind of money is poured into production of the live shows.