09 - Best Song From Signals

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1272 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• Subdivisions
    • The Analog Kid
    • Chemistry
    • Digital Man
    • The Weapon
    • New World Man
    • Losing It
    • Countdown

Subdivisions. I know it's a common choice, but it was kind of a "game changer" like Tom Sawyer was.

The logical answer follows the majority; "Subdivisions" is freaking brilliant.

However, I voted for "New World Man" and here is why.

—It's the song that I heard on the radio that introduced me to what would be my favorite band when I was in high school.

—It's an incredibly well-put together shot-glass of what Rush is about. Great lyrics, the drumming is fantastic (but restrained JUST enough on this song) and the bass line is amazing.

When I first heard this song, it told me the following in three minutes: that guy plays the HELL out of that bass, the drummer sounds like a beast, the guitarist is ultra-tasty, and the lyrics are very intelligent.

As a radio single, I don't believe Rush could have done any better. It sure worked for me.

Edited by Lieutenant Dan

Losing It. It is the song that always leaves my jaw on the floor when I play Signals.

Saying that, im still getting to grips with this album, it keeps on getting better!

• Like 2

"Subdivisions". Such beautiful and strikingly true lyrics. The lyrics paint the most accurate description of the life of an outcast teenager like me, who just wants to break free from his tedious, monotonous life and chase after bigger, grandiose things. Like "Middletown Dreams", this song is my anthem. Every time I listen to it I fight back the tears as I am immersed in the quintessential truths of the scenario being described. Words cannot fully express my love and passion for this musical masterpiece!
  • Like 5

"Subdivisions". Such beautiful and strikingly true lyrics. The lyrics paint the most accurate description of the life of an outcast teenager like me, who just wants to break free from his tedious, monotonous life and chase after bigger, grandiose things. Like "Middletown Dreams", this song is my anthem. Every time I listen to it I fight back the tears as I am immersed in the quintessential truths of the scenario being described. Words cannot fully express my love and passion for this musical masterpiece!

Beautifully done :notworthy:

Beautifully done :notworthy:

Totally agree. Right on ya, mate! Powerful posting right there!

As regards to my vote, having just gotten the album last night and listening through it multiple times today, I voted for The Analog Kid. I mean, DAT LICK! Subdivisions and New World Man are both close seconds of course, but honestly, I love just about everything here. I think I need a bit more time to get into digital man and maybe The Weapon and Losing It, but I acknowledge all of those as sweetly awesome (the latter two spine chilling though they aren't in my head yet). I don't see why countdown and chemistry get so few votes. Both of those, lyrically at the very least are just awesome. Countdown in particular is a partial saving grace for an album that doesn't exactly need one as it's the only song that 'paints a pretty landscape,' closer to their old story-telling ways, rather than metaphorically or directly conveying some kind of message OR telling one unusual man/kid's story/state.

As I would always say, there are so many good rush songs, its hard to choose a favorite. When I voted, I think I went with either new world man, or subdivisions. I like both of those songs, along with the analog kid. This is one of my fav rush albums.

I'm not sure what I originally voted. I think on first listen it would definitely have to be Subdivisions. I've heard it so many times over the years it's gotten a little bit old but it's still a great song.

Signals has recently joined the higher ranks of my favourite Rush albums. Partly because it kicks ass.

Largely because of Losing It.