09 - Best Song From Signals

RushRevisited

What do you think is the best song from this album?  

1272 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the best song from this album?

• Subdivisions
    • The Analog Kid
    • Chemistry
    • Digital Man
    • The Weapon
    • New World Man
    • Losing It
    • Countdown

My favorite album. Very hard to chose any one song.

But I went with Analog Kid. It's like Alex said, "Ged, I know you're having a blast over there with your new keyboard toys but you have to let me have some fun on at least *one* song!"

I'd have to go with The Weapon. The chord progressions, the lyrics and especially the recap at the end of the instrumental section give me goosebumps every time.

(I guess that was a little wordy...I can't help it, I'm a music student tongue.gif )

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Aug 23 2004, 10:40 PM)
What do you think is the best song from this album?

fists crying.gif I'm gonna be in a coma after all these polls. this LP is full of faves but the most meaningful for me is losing it. Some are born to move the world , to live their fantasy. but most of us just dream of things we'd like to be . sadder still to watch it die and never to have known it. for you the blind who once could see, the bell tolls for thee!

I have this pinned up on the wall of my Drumming school. words to live by for sure.....and the violin solo is amazing!

Now that's a surprize - I'm the ninth person to have voted for Chemistry.

Chemistry is my favorite Rush song.

On the one hand it makes me a little sad because I couldn't handle the courses in chemistry at Hebrew U my freshman year and ended up changing majors. But this song still represents the essence of my being and it is just a beautiful song in its mysteriousness and excitement.

Seems to me it's chemistry...

That's all it is. Atoms, electrons, protons, neutrons, the Periodic Table of Elements...

Everything around us is chemistry.

Everything within us chemistry too.

And everything between us chemistry.

I voted for Subdivisions as it is one of my all time favorite songs ever. I relate to the "conform or be cast out" lyric. I was never really popular in school. I was in band and didn't have a lot of money. I was respected by people in the band as I was pretty good at percussion. People laugh at me now because I still play video games but a lot of guys think it's cool. F'k those who don't like it.

Karen

QUOTE (drumrchick @ May 5 2005, 04:32 PM)
I voted for Subdivisions as it is one of my all time favorite songs ever. I relate to the "conform or be cast out" lyric. I was never really popular in school. I was in band...

Boy I can relate to that!!!

Ditto on Subdivisions, too. smile.gif

QUOTE (drumrchick @ May 5 2005, 04:32 PM)
I voted for Subdivisions as it is one of my all time favorite songs ever. I relate to the "conform or be cast out" lyric. I was never really popular in school. I was in band and didn't have a lot of money. I was respected by people in the band as I was pretty good at percussion. People laugh at me now because I still play video games but a lot of guys think it's cool. F'k those who don't like it.

Karen

Gosh, girl. You need to adapt the New World Women of Rush sig. We'd be proud to have you wave it with pride and a 1287.gif take no prisoners attitude! Go get em! And those who give you lip... bang them in the head with a drum stick!

It is a three way tie between The Weapon, Digital Man, and New World Man. I chose The Weapon because the half step up and down on the synthesiser in the beginning is chilling and yet so simple.

Subdivisions is my favorite EVER rush song, and one that has intense sentimental value to me. I got into Rush in 1981 right after Moving Pictures came out, and Signals was quite a relevation to me, as well as to most Rush fans, though for some the revelation was more akin to what on earth have Rush done with all those synthesizers? I think most people though approved as their popularity didn't seem to wane in the slightest. This was pre-cd, so I probably had a cassette and I remember going to a local record store and finding a Rush songbook and copying down the lyrics to Subdivisions, which I found moving at age 12 and still do today, and when Alex says "SUBDIVIONS," I still think it's the coolest thing ever. A song that blew me away instantly and never stopped doing so.

p.s. - while the whole album is extremely consistent (and my favorite overall Rush album), one cannot deny the amazing power of The Analog Kid either...

Edited by rushgoober

Guest Xourque

I've always wondered why Rush never made a music video for The Analog Kid. Yes, I am going to sound too obsessed with Rush, but I don't care. I had a dream not too long ago where I made a music video for The Analog Kid. As the song was playing, it illustrated the story the song makes by showing a boy growing up, finding that fawn eyed girl with sun brown legs, and gaining his independance from his parents. Eventually, as the song progresses into the more dark melody, he leaves his life to go off to war to fight (when I leave I don't know what im hoping to find, and when I leave I don't know what im leaving behind), eventually getting critically injured at the end of the song. And you know that weird synthesized "woom woom woom woom" at the end? That's the sound of a hellocopter overhead being seen from the guys eyes as he is laying on the ground injured.

I have awesome dreams. I would love to produce that video if Rush ever remade their songs!

Am I crazy, or did it sound cool?

Weak album... "Digital Man". Next...

AM Rush