The Wreckers VS Cold Fire

losingit2k

Which do you like better, The Wreckers or Cold Fire?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like better, The Wreckers or Cold Fire?

• The Wreckers
    • Cold Fire

I ended up going with Cold Fire....both songs can be emotional. But i remember hearing "Cold Fire" for the first time and I was like "man this intro rocks...wait...its a love song?!?" That did it for me. The most rocking Rush love song of all time. I would love to hear it live...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rushbabe @ Aug 30 2012, 03:07 PM)
I ended up going with Cold Fire....both songs can be emotional. But i remember hearing "Cold Fire" for the first time and I was like "man this intro rocks...wait...its a love song?!?" That did it for me. The most rocking Rush love song of all time. I would love to hear it live...

THIS

The only concert I ever went to by myself was Rush on the Counterparts tour. I had no idea what the setlist would be. I was a pretty calm until Geddy started making jokes about playing country and western music. Then Alex ripped into that opening guitar and I went wild. Everyone around me gave up a little space. I didn't care because that was the song on Counterparts that I really wanted them play live. Awesome moment. 1022.gif

For me, it's the killer chorus of Coldfire. The steady bass, the rockin' drums with Neil's signature ride pattern, Alex kicking ass all over it. And sorry guys but the lyrics / singing pattern doesn't sound shorhorned to me!

I'm sure the incredible production of Counterparts vs. Clockwork Angels doesn't hurt either 1022.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Aug 31 2012, 07:29 AM)

For me, it's the killer chorus of Coldfire. The steady bass, the rockin' drums with Neil's signature ride pattern, Alex kicking ass all over it. And sorry guys but the lyrics / singing pattern doesn't sound shorhorned to me!

I'm sure the incredible production of Counterparts vs. Clockwork Angels doesn't hurt either 1022.gif

The production of counterparts is perfect: clean, crisp, and heavy.

The only thing in common with the 2 songs is that I'm not fond of either. In fairness I just gave both a listen back to back. If tortured into picking one or the other I'd go with Cold Fire.

Cold Fire - the 'he said, she said' lyrics are just....icky. Hard to believe that the same lyricist that came up with 2112 and Hemispheres wrote this. The chorus is not too bad. The guitar work is pretty good. The solo is what saves the song. Little surprise this song hasn't seen the light of day in concert...it's pretty much just filler.

The (Train) Wreckers - total fluff. The only thing redeeming about this song is that the bridge is somewhat interesting. If an average guitar player like me can figure out the next chord progression the first time through, then there's not much interesting to listen to. Reminds me of some of the filler songs on Test for Echo. Little surprise that Alex didn't put much solo into this: 'eh...why bother?' I guess every song can't be Clockwork Angels or Headlong Flight.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 1 2012, 07:25 PM)
My opinion is that your opinion on the matter is absurd, lacks sensibility, and good taste.  But you're entitled to be all of those things on any subject matter.  biggrin.gif

Thank you. trink39.gif

It never ceases to amaze that some people think they know what's better in terms of songwriting than guys who've been doing it professionally for the better part 40 years or are so utterly clueless to the fact all the lyrics, melody and music are discussed extensively between the guys throughout the entire creative process.

The Wreckers is a gem of a song - cinematic and vivid lyrically with a strong melodic hook and excellent music. The "in the teeth of an icy grave" is particularly satisfying and epic.

The best thing Cold Fire has going for it is its insistent riff but otherwise is rather uninspiring.

The Wreckers, easily.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Aug 29 2012, 08:58 PM)
You have to be wary, of a miracle too good to be true,
Sometimes the truth is contrary, everything in life you thought you knew
You have to be wary, 'cause sometimes the target is you

Might've been better. E.B. White says, "Eliminate unnecessary words!"

And Geddy has come back, time after time. Maybe he is just tired.

Oh give me a f***ing break

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 29 2012, 06:55 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 29 2012, 01:06 AM)
Hmm, I cannot find a single similarity in these two tracks other then they were both written and performed by Rush.

Well if you can't find a single similarity, than I really have no respect for your abilities to critique music.

wink.gif

Yeah, but seriously - I don't even understand this thread.

I like both songs - but they sound nothing alike.