The Wreckers VS Cold Fire

losingit2k

Which do you like better, The Wreckers or Cold Fire?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like better, The Wreckers or Cold Fire?

• The Wreckers
    • Cold Fire

I was listening to Cold Fire today and it struck me how similar these two songs arein their structure. Similar Beginnings, with softer verses and faster Choruses. Where they differ is during the break or solos and of course the lyrics. Anyway I went with The Wreckers only because I just love that break!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both are great songs but I haven't really been listening to the songs on Counterparts recently while I love the new album. Currently I'm going to go with The Wreckers but its a tough choice. My opinion will probably change once the album's been out for a while.

This isn't fair. Both songs are very high on my Rush list. Cold Fire was my first non-hits Rush song, and The Wreckers was the first song that peaked my interest for CA when I heard the samples.

I can't choose. I love both for reasons that would take forever to list!

The Wreckers for sure. It has grown on me immensely. Lyrically has the concept to back it. The bridge has a perfect emotional climax.

Someone said the lyrics were shoehorned, and I agree. Some of them are cringe-worthy. "You know how complex women are..." ...I just have trouble following the perspective of narration and it seem cheesy and overreaching

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Aug 28 2012, 06:37 PM)
The Wreckers for sure. It has grown on me immensely. Lyrically has the concept to back it. The bridge has a perfect emotional climax.

Someone said the lyrics were shoehorned, and I agree. Some of them are cringe-worthy. "You know how complex women are..." ...I just have trouble following the perspective of narration and it seem cheesy and overreaching

they are both cringe-worthy but the wreckers is much more cringe-worthy because it's fresh. tongue.gif

I don't really feel any similarities between the Wreckers and Cold Fire at all but they are 2 extremely strong songs! I still have to give the edge to Cold Fire just from a clarity standpoint on the album.

If CA had the production of CP I think it would become #1, but that is a different topic altogether.

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Aug 28 2012, 06:37 PM)

I always liked that line because I always felt it was just a wise ass comment thrown in the middle of the song. It's just sounds like some comment you would add to a conversation with someone while talking about your lady troubles.

As for the poll, i'm going with Cold Fire. I've always loved the song and while The Wreckers is very good, it's hard to vote for it since it's too new and Cold Fire is a song i've loved for 18 years now.

One vote for both!

I also LOVE the lyrics of Cold Fire. Among Neil's very best, and they bounce through the melody beautifully, IMO.

I don't understand those songs you love'
She said, 'This is not a love song
This isn't fantasyland'

The flame at the heart of a pawnbroker's diamond is a cold fire
Don't break the spell
The look in your eyes as you head for the door is a cold fire

ouch.

I can relate to that, thanks to some, *ahem*... missteps... when I was a bit younger.

bitchslap.gif

Hmm. One of the worst songs on one of the worst albums or one of the better songs on the best album in about 30 years? The Wreckers in a landslide. Fortunately, I don't hear the similarities, as that would ruin the Wreckers for me.

I can't vote. I like both songs, but I don't see any similarities. Cold Fire blew me away as it was a friggin' love song by Rush and very unexpected. The Wreckers is an emotion inducing workout. The part about the drowning people floors me every time.

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Aug 28 2012, 07:18 PM)
no comparison, the wreckers is a quaint little ditty a very good filler if you like but cold fire is a monster of a rush classic

Pretty much this. I like The Wreckers better than "filler", but it can't touch Cold Fire. When it tried, Cold Fire just bitchslap.gif it senseless.

Speaking of senseless, whoever decided fading out The Wreckers on Alex's solo was a good idea needs a bitchslap.gif themselves