Top 10 Underrated Rush Songs

rushgoober

1. "Hand Over Fist" - A lovely song. Sure some of the lyrics may sound a bit out of place, but I can really relate to it. Take a walk outside myself in some exotic land/Greet a passing stranger/Feel the strength in his hand/Feel the world expand. Probably my favorite set of lyrics out of Presto.

2. "Middletown Dreams" - My favorite song from Power Windows. I just don't think it gets the love it deserves.

3. "Emotion Detector" - Again, I don't think it gets the love it deserves.

4. "Red Sector A" - Great lyrics. My favorite song from P/g. The imagery you get from the lyrics is just amazing, let alone the music it has to set the mood for whether or not there's hope.

5. "Cut to the Chase" - I feel I'm the only Rushian that listens to this song when I'm not playing Counterparts in whole. tongue.gif Just sayin'. (I still do listen to albums in full!)

6. "Turn the Page" - Do I really have to get started on this one?! My favorite Hold Your Fire song! I know the album may be under-looked at by some of us, including me, but this one is definitely among the handful of gems on the album.

7. "The Wreckers" - Most underrated song on the album, in my opinion. My favorite from Clockwork Angels? Too soon to tell, but I feel this is more underrated than "Wish Them Well".

8. "The Fountain of Lamneth" - 19 minutes of pure ambition that is underrated. Sure it may sound all over the place, but it kinda foreshadowed it's successor, 2112.

9. "Territories" - Another Power Windows gem that I feel isn't loved enough. You guys shoot at this song without shame, and you should feel ashamed! Okay, well, you don't really need to feel ashamed as long as your opinion is reasonable. tongue.gif

10. "Chain Lightning" - A great song from Presto. It lurks in everyone's collection and it really doesn't get noticed enough.

No real order on this list...

Out of the Cradle - cause these 60 year old guys are endlessly rocking

Beneath, Between and Behind - just rocks, listen to the ESL version!

Red Lenses - saw this live in '84 and wish they would bring it back

Nobody's Hero - this one ranks first in the misunderstood meaning category (not one of my fav's but deserves to be on here)

We Hold On - most rocking album closer ever, great guitar riff

The Big Wheel - and why was this not a single?

How It Is - again, why was this not a single?

Face Up - I have always loved the lyric "Am I in a groove or is it a rut"

Chemistry - this one just has a different vibe than anything before it

Circumstances - this is the one that first got me hooked

QUOTE (goose @ Sep 26 2012, 08:46 PM)
QUOTE (Mika @ Sep 6 2012, 12:56 PM)
Want to add 'How It Is' as well - what a great song! Can't get enough of the "foot upon the stair, shoulder to the wheel" part.  wub.gif

yes.gif

Ha! I popped into this thread to add another song, and I'm greeted with a quote of me extolling the virtues of that song already! Ok, one more time: 'How It Is' is amazing. Every time I listen to it my enjoyment of it goes deeper; I think it might be in my top ten Rush songs!

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

1.The Necromancer - This song is so overlooked by the band it's not even funny! The solos in this song are just awesome! And I don't get why everyone hates the narration, it adds to the story!

2. The Fountain of Lamneth - An amazing epic that always gets forgotten.

3. Cinderella Man - Most underrated song from AFTK! There is a great melody in this song, and Geddy's voice sounds really inspired.

4. High Water - Most overlooked song on HYF! Neil's drum work on this song is great, too.

5. Hand Over Fist - The melody is very cool! Geddy's vocals are also really good.

6. War Paint - Presto overall is a pretty underrated album by them. This song never really gets a mention.

7. Territories - I don't really understand why some people wanted this track off of the Clockwork Angels Tour setlist. The guitar and vocals are just stellar!

8. Halo Effect - The guitar solo and orchestra sounds great!

9. The Color of Right - Very melodic. Never became one of the popular ones off of Test For Echo, though.

10. Countdown - Could be my favorite off of Signals! The keyboards make it sound very space-like!

Here are my picks:

Red Tide wub.gif

Red Lenses

Hand Over Fist

Totem

Seven Cities of Gold 1022.gif

Half the World

Virtuality 1022.gif

The Larger Bowl

Manhattan Project

Making Memories

Fountain of Lamneth

Tracks 1-10 on Vapor Trails biggrin.gif

May or not be a top 10 confused13.gif

What a magical and glorious thread, but how does 1 define "underrated"? Anything past 1982 could be considered underrated. Anything other than the 10 usual songs the play on FM radio could be considered underrated. Anything that isn't spoken about on this forum very often?

Anyway...

1. No one at the Bridge-Still the best guitar solo ever

2. Double Agent-Lifeson's best riff ever

3. Kid Gloves-Perfect blend of guitar and synth before Rush went overboard on keys

4. BU2B-Yes, it's new. But it's so good. A classic. Don't think it gets enough love-and it's criminal that it's the one song Rush is skipping

5. Ghost Rider-Rush's most emotional song

6. Leave that thing Alone-Rush's best instrumental IMO

7. Jacob's Ladder-gets a lot of love around here but just because they never play it

8. War Paint-This song totally rocks. Would love to hear it on a decent recording

9. Cut to the Chase-Another rocking Lifeson riff, solo, and very cool bridges throughout. A mystery why Rush won't play it live

10. Totem-On an overall underwhelming album, I love this one

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone

The Necromancer (third part)

Cinderella man

The Twilight Zone

Jacob's ladder

The Body Electric (Better than The Enemy within' on GUP)

Second Nature (Yes!, I love it so much...)

Red Tide

Everyday Glory (One of the best on CP)

Totem - Half the world

Ceiling Unlimited (world's so wide!!!!)

Armor and Sword (Epic!)

Wish them well (Yes!...a feel-good song...)

Hand over Fist

Scars

Totem

Time and Motion

Limbo

Carve Away the Stone

You bet your life

Out of the Cradle

The Stars Look Down

Nocturne

We Hold On

Red Tide

High Water

Open Secrets

The Body electric

Vital Signs

Digital Man

Cut to the Chase

Edited by Czarcasm

The Larger Bowl

Spindrift

Sweet Miracle

Dog Years

Nobody's Hero

Speed Of Love

Tai Shan

High Water

Middletown Dreams

Red Lenses

Chemistry

Something like that. Could have included a lot more VT. Can't include anything before 1981 since that's their Gold Rush period which is so widely beloved. Although Caress may not be widely beloved. confused13.gif

Most of these have already been mentioned by one person or another.

Open Secrets - Not wild about much of HYF, this is one of the few exceptions. It actually may one of my favorite Rush songs period. That haunting guitar at the end gets me every time.

The Enemy Within - I hesitate to categorize this one as underrated as I think it gets a decent amount of respect, but I guess it still is somewhat.

Totem - My favorite from Test for Echo.

Nocturne - Could put any number of VT songs here, actually.

Ceiling Unlimited - See above.

Witch Hunt - Gets lost in the shuffle amid all the greatness on MP, but an excellent song in it's own right.

War Paint - "Boys and girls together..." Ok that'll be stuck in my head awhile.

Between Sun and Moon - People cringe at Geddy in the chorus here, but there are good riffs aplenty in this song.

Armor and Sword - Didn't grab me much at first, but very compelling the more you listen.

Emotion Detector - They got it right with the keyboard sound on this one.

No particular order

1. The Twilight Zone

2. Entre Nous

3. The Enemy Within

4. Chain Lightning

5. Between Sun & Moon

6. Vapor Trail

7. Nocturne

8. How It Is

9. Armor & Sword (coming from a guy who's not a huge S&A fan)

10. Freeze

EDIT: The whole fecking Caress Of Steel album!

Edited by Jake2112

Popping in to add another one that's been on my radar lately: 'Take a Friend'. The song just rocks, from the pounding drums in the fade-in intro, to the tasteful lead guitar licks punctuating throughout, to Geddy's singing... I wonder if this one was played live back in the day?

Man, just when you think you know all there is to know about Rush's (huge) catalog of songs, something always seems to poke its head up and announce itself as an even more awesome song than you thought. One more thing I love about Rush! wub.gif

I probably should of included Territories. It's easily my favorite track off of PW.

Entre Nous also (if it's widely considered underated?)...it took on a new life with the S&A tour.