Anthem

Twilight Zone

Something For Nothing

Cygnus X-1

The Enemy Within

The Big Money

Manhattan Project

Most of Vapor Trails album

And there are several songs on T4E that are despised by many, but are still really good, like Totem, Dog Years, Virtuality...

Cygnus X1,, the whole thing, I think is underrated. We don't hear about it too much these days, but when I saw it live in 1977, it freaked me out. That and Xanadu are in my opinion, the begining of true progressive rock songs for the band.

The Necromancer - My all-time favorite. The double guitar solos in the middle section and complementary bass parts are a pure adrenaline RUSH! And the guitar work in the finale is so beautiful it brings tears to my eyes almost every time I listen to it.

The Necromancer - Sorry, but this song is just GROSSLY underrated.

Lessons - Some really beautiful work here. The contrast of the sweet acoustical guitar sound with the really heavy bassy sounds is truly masterful.

The Enemy Within - Not much of a dancer, but the bass in this song makes want to stand up and jump around every time I hear it. Great lyrics too.

What You're Doing - As much as I love Working Man, this is the best song on the debut album IMO. The guitar solo is so smooth and sassy(for lack of a better word) it's hard to believe it was done so early in Alex Lifeson's career.

Cinderella Man - Great bass, great wah-wah guitar solo, great lyrics. Nuff said.

Cut to the Chase - Easily my favorite song on Counterparts. This song really ROCKS and I especially enjoy the lyrics on this one.

Emotion Detector - One their best efforts at meshing keyboards with guitar. The guitar solo is excellent and I also love the lyrics.

Before and After - Love the "build-up" that characterizes this song.

Bacchus Plateau - (part of Fountain of Lamneth) I honestly thought the beginning of the guitar solo on this one was a flute the first time I heard it. Great stuff!

Lakeside Park - Probably a bit of a stretch to call this one underrated. But I do think the drums in this one are particularly underrated. My father (God rest his soul) wasn't a Rush fan, but was a drummer in his youth, and this was the one Rush song I frequently caught him tapping his fingers to when I forced him to listen to Rush. He never actually admitted to liking the song, but I'm pretty confident that he did, so I guess this selection is sort of personal.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 28 2012, 11:36 AM)

I considered listing A Farewell To Kings, but I think the song is pretty universally highly regarded.

Not in my universe!

biggrin.gif

In alphabetical order:

1) Test For Echo (kicked to the curb after only one tour. That's a first for the tour de force first track on the album, I must say).

2) Lessons

3) Vapor Trail

4) Beneath, Between, Behind

5) Something For Nothing

6) Alien Shore (my sleeper - turn it up to 11 during the guitar solo).

7) The Enemy Within

8) Here Again

9) Show Don't Tell (at least it made it through more than one tour)

10) Afterimage (Ten letters)

No CA songs. It hasn't sunk in yet.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 28 2012, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 28 2012, 09:07 AM)
Available Light

I think this song is vastly overrated personally. I never got what the big deal was. I mean it's a decent song - some parts are better than others . Maybe if I wasn't so put off by Geddy's use of falsetto (why on earth would Geddy Lee EVER need to go falsetto), I might like it a tad more. It's not the song killer that the rap section in RTB is, or the narration in The Necromancer is, but it's a real turn off.

I know that's how you feel about the song; you've said it several times before.

You don't get it, but I'm oh so happy that me and many other fans do. This is actually one of Rush's greatest songs.

FYI: that's not Geddy singing falsetto, that's him singing in the uppermost part of his natural register. (There's a difference.) It's awesome, probably his best recorded vocal performance ever, and a big selling point of the song. Rather than the "turn off" you hear it as, for most of the song's fans it's a real turn ON.

But I'm not going to change your mind about it. Keep on "not getting it."

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (Empty Mindless Spectre @ Sep 3 2012, 03:40 PM)
Tears??????? Are your favorite artists Barry Manilow, Jim Fogleberg, and Air Supply? laugh.gif

Who's Jim Fogleberg? confused13.gif

tongue.gif

Surely you mean Dan Fogelberg. And actually he was very talented. (Air Supply, no.)

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Sep 7 2012, 03:20 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 28 2012, 01:08 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 28 2012, 09:07 AM)
Available Light

I think this song is vastly overrated personally. I never got what the big deal was. I mean it's a decent song - some parts are better than others . Maybe if I wasn't so put off by Geddy's use of falsetto (why on earth would Geddy Lee EVER need to go falsetto), I might like it a tad more. It's not the song killer that the rap section in RTB is, or the narration in The Necromancer is, but it's a real turn off.

I know that's how you feel about the song; you've said it several times before.

You don't get it, but I'm oh so happy that me and many other fans do. This is actually one of Rush's greatest songs.

FYI: that's not Geddy singing falsetto, that's him singing in the uppermost part of his natural register. (There's a difference.) It's awesome, probably his best recorded vocal performance ever, and a big selling point of the song. Rather than the "turn off" you hear it as, for most of the song's fans it's a real turn ON.

But I'm not going to change your mind about it. Keep on "not getting it."

Thanks, I will. wink.gif