Dear Howard...and/or other sound guys...

bigalfan

QUOTE (Jomboni @ Aug 30 2012, 10:09 AM)
If it's too loud, you're too old!!

I'm 29 and will be bringing them along.

I go in and out of having them in. Whenever they play secret touch, they have to be...the scratching at the end is enough to make me shiver!

As someone else said too, they can cut the cluttered noise and produce a cleaner sound, depending on the earplug. I buy cheapos and play it by ear - ha!

QUOTE (drgrendel @ Aug 27 2012, 04:32 PM)
QUOTE (bigalfan @ Aug 27 2012, 03:26 PM)
I know you're working hard - appreciate all you do - but please, back the volume knobs off just a tad bit...say maybe to a 8.75 instead of an 11 for this tour. Saw 'The Wall' over the summer, it sounded GREAT! The key? They backed off the LOUD factor just a tad. Proof positive you don't HAVE to be at an 11 for an arena concert, as a matter of fact, it's preferable. So, please...please...know when to say when with the volume. That is all. Thank you for your time...not that you'll ever see this, but it feels good just to say it.

+1 on the Roger Waters comment. AWESOME sound and great show. The Rush crew could learn from that example.

2.gif

Even better than that was Steve Wilson's Grace for Drowning Tour. I don't know what they do live but it seriously blew away any live performance in terms of sound quality that I have EVER heard. And I have been to tons of concerts.

I've seen Rush every tour since T4E and I don't think they're that loud at all. They don't play quiet, but they sure don't play at the level of volume some people in this thread are saying they do.

Maybe it's because i'm a regular concert goer so my ears are use to the noise. But Rush is nowhere near the top of the list when it comes to loudest bands i've seen live.

I guess when a rock band gets to the upper levels of fame it requires them to play larger venues, like hockey and basketbal arenas. The sound is rarely "good" in any of these buildings as most were designed for sporting events. Some of the newer buildings were built with concerts in mind too, but even those pale in comparison to theatres built for live performance.

So, my next sentence is an obvious one - I would love to see Rush in a soft seater... maybe a 2,500 - 3,500 capacity venue. That would be unreal, especially if the volume was down a bit...

Radio City Music Hall in NYC would be a great venue and it holds about 6,000 or so... a friend of mine saw Rush there in the early 80s on their five night stand and he said it was the best live venue he'd ever been to, and he's been to theatres all around the GD world.

Edited by Thunder Bay Rush

QUOTE (Thunder Bay Rush @ Sep 15 2012, 09:14 AM)
I guess when a rock band gets to the upper levels of fame it requires them to play larger venues, like hockey and basketbal arenas. The sound is rarely "good" in any of these buildings as most were designed for sporting events. Some of the newer buildings were built with concerts in mind too, but even those pale in comparison to theatres built for live performance.

So, my next sentence is an obvious one - I would love to see Rush in a soft seater... maybe a 2,500 - 3,500 capacity venue. That would be unreal, especially if the volume was down a bit...

Radio City Music Hall in NYC would be a great venue and it holds about 6,000 or so... a friend of mine saw Rush there in the early 80s on their five night stand and he said it was the best live venue he'd ever been to, and he's been to theatres all around the GD world.

I saw the R30 at Radio City and it was the best sounding concert I have ever seen in my life. I wish they would include that venue on every tour.

I hear ya with loud shows. The past 3 tours have been loud. I don't dig it when my inner ears start to feed back and rattle. You can feel the inside of the ear shaking from the sound waves. During moments like that i have to put my fingers in my ear to prevent damage. I should carry some ear plugs. Being a drummer I should just bring them on principle. At the same time I love it very loud. Putting in ear plugs it takes away from the experience. There are some nice ear plugs out there that do a good job of letting some sound get through without taking away to much volume.

Take it from someone who's been to thousands of concerts and done the macho "I'm not wearing earplugs" thing.

Tinnitus sucks.

It just came on this year (I just turned 50) and now I can't sleep without some kind of white noise in the background.

Wear earplugs !! If you plan on going to many concerts, it won't bother you when you're 30, but it will catch up to you later.

Agree 100%. Rush shows are awesome as hell but yeah too much volume can be a negative. I'm 23, I should be able to handle loudness, correct?

Twice I've had to leave Rush concerts early due to pounding headaches and severe ear-ringing (which I still have...called tinnitis I believe), and the sound would be much clearer if the volume were lowered a tad.

Edited to add that Hear-O's earplugs are your best friend at a Rush show. I started bringing them to shows toward the end of the Time Machine Tour and they'll be in my ears next weekend at the St. Louis show for sure. smile.gif

Edited by Tarkus406