Tour Rehearsals

Phantom

QUOTE (dtpoet @ Sep 3 2012, 09:56 PM)
Ok - l take the 6 song info as gospel (I believe it). Let's use deductive reasoning. Let's eliminate the songs in CA that have strings(humor me); The Garden, The Wreckers, Carnies. Off the top of my head, that's the 3 I can think of. That leaves 3 other songs.

Let's get CA right first. Any more than those 3? We will also have to keep in mind that some songs may have mild strings so they may not require musicians on the stage as they can be triggered.

Let's get a consensus of the CA songs then later we can try to deduce what previously recorded songs will be likely. Let's not jump ahead. Thanks.

Um dude, from the CA liner notes:

Strings on "Halo Effect," "The Anarchist," "The Wreckers," "BU2B2," and "The Garden" arranged and conducted by David Campbell

EDIT: Now, Anarchist is already pretty much confirmed. Wreckers is also extremely likely given it's single status and their fondness of it. Halo effect and Garden are not assured but are quite likely. Are they really gonna go through nearly 2 months of rehearsal and then the tour with this string ensemble and NOT play the other 2 big songs?

BU2B2 is the only one that has pretty slim chances, except if they do the full album or something.

Edited by sdhonda

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 3 2012, 10:48 PM)
That riser seem to be on stage left. I 'm guessing right behind Geddy's rig and there might be a counterpart on the other side behind Alex to even out the look.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

C E N T E R S T A G E behind Neil......

Gump is behind Ged along with Neils rest area.

Alex has his amps.

Neil will actually appreciate it because the riser is where he normally has a large gas flame practically turning him to toast each night.

The only location that makes any sense for the string section...is directly behind Geddy...ya know, where his amps would go if he had any.

They can't be behind Alex because that would put them directly "in front" of Alex's amps. He DOES have amps. That would not work at all.

I don't really see them being behind Neil either. Neil's kit is already elevated and that would require the string section to be severely elevated over him just to be seen.

Now...they would be in the way of the video screen.

Plus they need to be where they can have floor monitors for reference.

Edited by BrightAntennae

We'll break this down one more time for the short bus students.

Alex has amps.

Geddy has Gump.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/avplanners/ScreenShot2012-09-03at111047PM.png

The riser will be where the snares and cases are in this pic. It will elevate them just enough to be seen over Neil.

They will come and go quietly behind the other items like Neil does when he comes on stage.

Howards keen abilities will allow for darkened transitions....except sunlit outdoor arenas.

QUOTE (hermy @ Sep 3 2012, 08:18 PM)

Alex has amps.

Geddy has Gump.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d153/avplanners/ScreenShot2012-09-03at111047PM.png

The riser will be where the snares and cases are in this pic. It will elevate them just enough to be seen over Neil.

They will come and go quietly behind the other items like Neil does when he comes on stage.

Howards keen abilities will allow for darkened transitions....except sunlit outdoor arenas.

We all appreciate your condescending tone. However, in all reality, this is pure speculation on your part.

What you suggest does not even make sense. If they were directly behind Neil they would need to be on an 6 to 8 foot riser; just to be visible.

Add another 3-4 feet at least of torso and now they are projected 9-12 feet behind and above Neil.

It would look awkward and weird...plus as I said earlier, they would block the video screen.

No one knows for sure.... and we'll find out in 4 days.

But until then...I'll go back and take my seat on the "short" bus and do as I'm told.

Edited by BrightAntennae

Sdhonda, I was no where my liner notes - so thanks for the update.

I agree with your assessment. Anarchist and Wreckers are given. I would think The Garden is for sure. Halo Effect - eh - is it to slow? It is brief so that's a "pro". I don't know about BU2B2. With some wild lights and by being brief, I can see it working.

So, that leaves at least 1 or 2 non-CA songs to be performed. So let's work within a range of either 1, 2, or 3 non-CA songs.

JMHO - I think the 4 likely candidates are -

(1) Losing It - it's never been played live, they will never get another opportunity to play it live if one assumes this string section is a one tour thing, it has string(s) throughout, and it's an anniversary for Signals.

(2) Jacob's Ladder - It hasn't been played since PW tour and I also I have seen on this site where Alex has mentioned it in the passed as a last cut.

(3) Manhattan Project - It has a long section of strings in the song.

(4) Closer to the Heart - They have done everything else to this song to keep it fresh for themselves. I have read comments from the members over the years about having to play the song but really a band favorite. This is an opportunity to make it fresh, different, and maybe even a little challenging.

JMHO - Out of the running - songs like Tears, Madrigal, etc.

We all appreciate your condescending tone. However, in all reality, this is pure speculation on your part.

Um - hermy is providing the pictures so I at least will have to give him crediblility that he knows what the hell he is talking about. These aren't pictures from old tours. These are from the rehearsals. Don't take it so personally.

Thanks, hermy for the pictures.... bekloppt.gif

They will come and go quietly behind the other items like Neil does when he comes on stage.~hermy

Ah - gave something away there, boss. "Come and go quietly" means leaving and returning. It's not much - LOL - but it suggests anyway that they will not make just a one time appearance - hence - all the string required songs at once.

I'll bite one more time.......

First and foremost there ARE individuals in the know. I'm not saying I'm one of them but there are extremely reliable sources out there.

Secondly, the riser is slightly higher then Neils drum riser. This puts the players heads above the cymbals from a floor seat and plenty viable from the uppers. It is not overly important that they are seen. Isn't that what everyone wanted anyway?

Thirdly, the screen drops down far below Alex's amps and Geddy's items as well. Having a few heads in there for a few songs will be no challenge for this veteran crew.

Lastly, notice the picture with Gump. If the distance from the barefoot gentleman to the hockey boards is an indication of "Stage Left"...then those Canadians sure play on huge ice rinks.

It's all good though. When I post pics from opening night I'll be sure to leave out any "told ya so" captions.

QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Sep 4 2012, 12:02 AM)
Yeah the guy with PHOTO EVIDENCE always wins. Sorry. Geez why would you even argue?

Hermy thank you,I for one very much appreciate your efforts.

Please note the second pic I referenced is still the Time Machine tour. It just served as a good reference for my point.

QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Sep 3 2012, 09:02 PM)
Yeah the guy with PHOTO EVIDENCE always wins. Sorry. Geez why would you even argue?

Because the picture is from the TMT and not CA...that's why.

QUOTE (dtpoet @ Sep 3 2012, 11:44 PM)
They will come and go quietly behind the other items like Neil does when he comes on stage.~hermy

Ah - gave something away there, boss. "Come and go quietly" means leaving and returning. It's not much - LOL - but it suggests anyway that they will not make just a one time appearance - hence - all the string required songs at once.

Or they come on stage when each string song is required. They could be throughout the set tongue.gif

Alright, let's quit hating each other for a minute . . .

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Sep 4 2012, 01:31 AM)
QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Sep 3 2012, 09:02 PM)

The second picture was TMT, but the first picture, with Gump sticking out his tongue, is CA rehearsal. Hermy issued a correction about that.

QUOTE (hermy @ Sep 4 2012, 12:07 AM)

Lastly, notice the picture with Gump. If the distance from the barefoot gentleman to the hockey boards is an indication of "Stage Left"...then those Canadians sure play on huge ice rinks.

Hermy, just a couple notes for you:

- first, I think the position of the music stands and chairs shown behind the violinists is giving the perspective that the photo is taken from front to back. i think it's unfair for you to criticize folks for assuming that, since the photo was not originally posted with any explanation on perspective or anything.

- second, lots of people post here with crap, acting like they are "in the know" when they are actually full of it, so people react with a bit of skepticism

- you know that what you're posting is legit, but we don't. You didn't start out by saying, "Hey guys, I know someone (or am someone) who has access to rehearsals. Here's a sneak peek picture."

Given the fact that none of the rest of us knew what else is set up outside the limits of the photo, and that many of us have skepticism because of past "insider" posts, you may have been a little harsh to give everybody the "short bus" treatment right out of the gate.

(dayglow76 @ Sep 3 2012, 09:02 PM)

Huh - I didn't realize the TMT had strings like the ones in hermy's first picture. My bad, BA. You must be right. I will yield to your expertise from now on.

Edited by dtpoet

QUOTE (hermy @ Sep 3 2012, 11:18 PM)

Alex has amps.

Geddy has Gump.

Hermy, so according to the riser placement you are either saying that:

1: There will be no pyro on this tour due to the Riser placement!

sad.gif or

2: We will be burning the String section during Caravan?

ohmy.gif or

3: They all will be wearing fire resistant suits and will blaze on as part of the show during The Anarchist.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 4 2012, 03:37 PM)

Alex has amps.

Geddy has Gump.

sad.gif or

ohmy.gif or

3: They all will be wearing fire resistant suits and will blaze on as part of the show during The Anarchist.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Hey bro--did you notice the tympani baton in the pic? what does that tell you?

Alex has amps.

Geddy has Gump.

Isn't this a shot of Neil's drums from behind? Where did "the riser" in question go?

Is it one of those new disappearing- reappearing risers I've heard so much about?

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 4 2012, 03:40 PM)

Alex has amps.

Geddy has Gump.

sad.gif or

ohmy.gif or

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Yeah I noticed! He's going to jam on the tympani samples or Gong. It be cool to zoom in on whats written on the little mixer/ drum patch thingy right next to it. We are so starved for info, we are so pathetic.

rofl3.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 4 2012, 03:51 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 4 2012, 03:40 PM)

Alex has amps.

Geddy has Gump.

sad.gif or

ohmy.gif or

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Yeah I noticed! He's going to jam on the tympani samples or Gong. It be cool to zoom in on whats written on the little mixer/ drum patch thingy right next to it. We are so starved for info, we are so pathetic.

rofl3.gif

I know bro! It's crazy...that's jack secret next to gump BTW

Gump and Jack Secret discussing the latest edition of The Yukon Blade Grinder

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 4 2012, 12:49 PM)

Alex has amps.

Geddy has Gump.

Isn't this a shot of Neil's drums from behind? Where did "the riser" in question go?

Is it one of those new disappearing- reappearing risers I've heard so much about?

tongue.gif

This image is from the TMT tour.

The image with Gump sticking his tongue out is from the CA rehearsals.

The two images are not related.

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Sep 4 2012, 04:15 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Sep 4 2012, 12:49 PM)

Alex has amps.

Geddy has Gump.

tongue.gif

This image is from the TMT tour.

The image with Gump sticking his tongue out is from the CA rehearsals.

The two images are not related.

A likely story! I'm not buying it.

no.gif