Most Overrated Movies

rushgoober

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 17 2012, 08:56 AM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 16 2012, 01:00 PM)
2001: a space odyssey
Seriously, I don't understand why people rave about this movie. I absolutely love the book and I appreciate how accurate the movie was but the vast majority of the story is explanation and not action. The movie is a major snoozefest.

"Hal, give me an interesting movie"
"I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave"
"Hal, give me an interesting story"
"Go read the book, Dave"

Do you have ADD? Might explain somethings... laugh.gif

I prefer reading the details of events than watching a 5 minute scene of a woman in velcro shoes walking around the interior of a ship followed by another 5 minute scene of the ship docking with classical music accompaniment. The information is still there, it might take me just as long to read that description in the book, but I prefer to read details/explanations and watch events occurring. It's just a preference, not ADD.

Edited by USB Connector

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 17 2012, 10:25 AM)
Seriously, I don't understand why people rave about this movie. I absolutely love the book and I appreciate how accurate the movie was but the vast majority of the story is explanation and not action. The movie is a major snoozefest.

"Go read the book, Dave"

I prefer reading the details of events than watching a 5 minute scene of a woman in velcro shoes walking around the interior of a ship followed by another 5 minute scene of the ship docking with classical music accompaniment. The information is still there, it might take me just as long to read that description in the book, but I prefer to read details/explanations and watch events occurring. It's just a preference, not ADD.

Oh how we become accustomed with fantastic and amazing sights. For being filmed in 1965 it is still amazing to watch.

Did you know that NASA didn't even have pictures of the earth from orbit, yet Kubrick concocted an awe inspiring rendition of the planet seen from above.

I can't agree with you on most of your choices. Pulp Fiction was a great movie and still stands as Tarantino's best. How the stories were told and how they came together in the end was a refreshing twist in movie making. It's also Travolta's best performance since Saturday Night Fever. Lastly, what makes Tarantino's movies great is the dialog.

I don't know if No Country was worthy of Best Picture, but it was a great film. The cinematography was stand out. The scenes were in typical Cohen fashion designed to eye open. The dialog was simple yet compelling. But what stood out was the message. It was the end of an era and a start of a new one, where killing people for drugs and money was starting to surface and the value of a man's life was inconsequential to the end result.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Sep 17 2012, 07:49 PM)
I can't agree with you on most of your choices. Pulp Fiction was a great movie and still stands as Tarantino's best. How the stories were told and how they came together in the end was a refreshing twist in movie making. It's also Travolta's best performance since Saturday Night Fever. Lastly, what makes Tarantino's movies great is the dialog.

I don't know if No Country was worthy of Best Picture, but it was a great film. The cinematography was stand out. The scenes were in typical Cohen fashion designed to eye open. The dialog was simple yet compelling. But what stood out was the message. It was the end of an era and a start of a new one, where killing people for drugs and money was starting to surface and the value of a man's life was inconsequential to the end result.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 17 2012, 11:32 AM)
QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 17 2012, 10:25 AM)

"Go read the book, Dave"

Oh how we become accustomed with fantastic and amazing sights. For being filmed in 1965 it is still amazing to watch.

Did you know that NASA didn't even have pictures of the earth from orbit, yet Kubrick concocted an awe inspiring rendition of the planet seen from above.

I'm not saying I want explosions and CGI. I'm saying I want dialog, character development and story advancement like in the Godfather, which didn't have any CG or that much action by today's standards (I called it overrated, but it's still a very good movie). 2001 conveys most of its story through details and explanations, something I feel is better done with a book. As for the satellite pictures, no I did not know about that. Yes it's amazing, but it doesn't make up for the fact that the movie just didn't move at all during certain scenes. Then again, you seem to be an angry old man who likely tells people that back in your day computers didn't exist and that everybody should love and be amazed at every pixel on screen because you lived in a time without them and life somehow went on.

Edited by USB Connector

The Godfather. Bored me silly.

:::ducks::: ph34r.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Sep 19 2012, 06:32 AM)

How could anyone ever be bored in this world?

I read that somewhere...don't remember where.

Being John Malkovich.

I know, it's lauded by critics. But I just found it unbelievably stupid. And boring. And I kept wanting to punch all of the characters in the throat.

QUOTE (goose @ Sep 20 2012, 07:40 PM)
QUOTE (HowItIs @ Sep 19 2012, 06:32 AM)

How could anyone ever be bored in this world?

I read that somewhere...don't remember where.

tongue.gif

I'm never bored with the world. Just this movie laugh.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Sep 21 2012, 11:51 AM)
American Beauty

ohmy.gif

What didn't you like about it? The actors? The story? Other? I thought Kevin Spacey was great...what's not to like about him smoking a spliff and singing "American Woman" while pulling into a fast food drive-thru? tongue.gif

I like the director heaps too.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 21 2012, 07:03 AM)
I love many of the great films mentioned here. I'm sure I would hate half of the "best of" choices these same people would make, and I'm ok with all of that.

Going to see PT Anderson's "The Master" tonight. I hope it bores you all. biggrin.gif

A movie can be overrated and still be a great movie. People talk about Scarface and the Godfather as if they're the best movies ever made. They're great movies (maybe not so much scarface) but far from what the talk would lead you to believe.

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Sep 21 2012, 10:42 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Sep 21 2012, 07:03 AM)
I love many of the great films mentioned here.  I'm sure I would hate half of the "best of" choices these same people would make, and I'm ok with all of that.

Going to see PT Anderson's "The Master" tonight.  I hope it bores you all.  biggrin.gif

A movie can be overrated and still be a great movie. People talk about Scarface and the Godfather as if they're the best movies ever made. They're great movies (maybe not so much scarface) but far from what the talk would lead you to believe.

Scarface is a classic. "Say hello to my little friend."

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Sep 21 2012, 08:01 AM)
Crocodile Dundee

The only parts I enjoyed were of the aboriginal actor. Saw it for the first time last night...I can't get that hour and half back

That movie seems pretty timebound to me..meaning it was good when it came out, but pretty dated humor, I think.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Sep 16 2012, 05:45 PM)
QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Sep 16 2012, 04:13 PM)
Shutter Island.

I didn't know this movie was rated very high. I really enjoyed it, though. It wasn't perfect, but there was enough thought provoking material to make it interesting to me. For instance, at the end did the main character choose to regress so that he would not have to face reality or did he just fall back into mental illness?

Anyway - great film for me.

Good movie....I liked it a lot too....

Cloverfield. After ALL the build up and fanfare and....it was just lame. Beyond lame. Having a conversation about why your girlfriend broke up with you while a gigantic creature is ripping the world apart.....uuuuuhhhh, yeah. wacko.gif