Is Clockwork Angels Rush's farewell?

That One Guy

The Garden is the ideal swan song from a studio point of view. The R40 tour should be a given to happen, after that, it's anybody's guess. The band would not ever want to play unless they could match or exceed their standards, no matter how much we want them to continue. It's good to go out in a blaze of glory. I would love to see a DVD made from a CANADIAN concert, maybe they are saving that for the last kick at the can.

I believe CA was Rush's last full "album". If they continue, I think they might record and release new material the same way they release Caravan/BU2B. In other words, just go the single route.

We have to be real. THey are all 60 or so. They have stated they will do 2 legs of this tour then take a long break. That will likely take us into 2014 or 2015 and approaching their mid-60's At that point I'd imagine the release of a few songs and maybe 1 more tour.

I agree. I think they tested the waters on the Time Machine Tour with Caravan/ BU2B. They found out they don't need to release anything else. However a followup album to CA would be great!

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Aug 22 2012, 12:32 PM) If they intend to stay on their recent schedule of a new album every 5 years, then yes, I think its their last album.

They may tour more for income.

I am quite sure the guys do not need " more income". eyesre4.gif

LOL

My thoughts exactly!

Rush has been in a habit of making one album every five years now. Clockwork Angels is universally praised by critics, and highly appreciated by fans. The boys are all right around 59 years old. They've been on tour after tour, and this year marks number 3 in a row.

Rush went to a concept album format for this one, with Neil relaxing into his old science-fiction lyrics. Geddy admitted that "The Garden" was a new kind of song for the band, and it was. The whole album culminates as an impressive work, greater than the sum of its individual parts.

But what do you guys think? Is it the end of the road? The last tour ever? The last album ever? Is The Garden the last song we'll remember Rush by?

2.gif

If this is the last album can you promise that this is your last post? :syrinx: :hail:

Rush has been in a habit of making one album every five years now. Clockwork Angels is universally praised by critics, and highly appreciated by fans. The boys are all right around 59 years old. They've been on tour after tour, and this year marks number 3 in a row.

Rush went to a concept album format for this one, with Neil relaxing into his old science-fiction lyrics. Geddy admitted that "The Garden" was a new kind of song for the band, and it was. The whole album culminates as an impressive work, greater than the sum of its individual parts.

But what do you guys think? Is it the end of the road? The last tour ever? The last album ever? Is The Garden the last song we'll remember Rush by?

2.gif

If this is the last album can you promise that this is your last post? :syrinx: :hail:

Hahahaha!! No way in Hell is this the last Rush album! Even the Stones who are in their Seventies put a few new songs.

I guess it's all "GLOOM AND DOOM" for us Rush fans. LOL!

That new Stones song is CRAP!

I hear Neil has arthritis pain in his forearms. Could be the end of the band!!!!!

2.gif

Hahahaha!! No way in Hell is this the last Rush album! Even the Stones who are in their Seventies put a few new songs.

I hear Neil has arthritis pain in his forearms. Could be the end of the band!!!!!

We keep seeing these threads. They sound like they can't wait for the RUSH story to end. LIke there's a community of Rush people who feel that the weight of being a Rush fan will finally be lifted off their shoulders when Rush retire. LIke they can't wait to be free of the burden. :huh:

• Like 1

2.gif

We keep seeing these threads. They sound like they can't wait for the RUSH story to end. LIke there's a community of Rush people who feel that the weight of being a Rush fan will finally be lifted off their shoulders when Rush retire. LIke they can't wait to be free of the burden. :huh:

Interesting take Pat. I am not a religious guy but I feel blessed every time I see the boys play. I was just going to go to San Jose and Vegas because I too wasn't too impressed with the set list. Anyway I had to go to Universal City just because I knew I could fit it in my life to go.

Life is short. I will see Rush as many times as I can no matter what the set list. They RULE. FUCKK THE NEGATIVE NINNIES!

2.gif

Interesting take Pat. I am not a religious guy but I feel blessed every time I see the boys play. I was just going to go to San Jose and Vegas because I too wasn't too impressed with the set list. Anyway I had to go to Universal City just because I knew I could fit it in my life to go.

Life is short. I will see Rush as many times as I can no matter what the set list. They RULE. FUCKK THE NEGATIVE NINNIES!

:cheers:

Even if you don't go to tons of gigs, no need for these fools to whine about the band not retiring! :blink:

I believe it is not their last.

R-40 Tour ( 2014)......Permanent Waves 'In it's entirety' Tour (2015-2016)......Back in the studio (2016-2017)...

New Music and The Final Farewell Tour (2017-2018)

Retire at 65 yrs. old......." Thank-you and goodnight "

Edited by WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER
  • Like 1

I can't see them doing back to back to back tours. I see a R-40 tour followed by a year or two off, new (possibly last) album, and then a world tour.

R-40 Tour ( 2014)......Permanent Waves 'In it's entirety' Tour (2015-2016)......Back in the studio (2016-2017)...

I can see it being the last album if they are sticking to this 5 year schedule. Who knows though, other bands have put out albums at that age.

One thing I dont think for a second is that they will never tour again. Even if they dont put out another album I can still see them doing at least 1 more tour... for the money, not for the fun of it or to say goodbye to fans. I dont ever see them doing a "farewell" tour. Just doesnt seem like them. They arent Kiss.

Its known they each have somewhere around 30mil, but they all have families and kids, and grandkids. They arent filthy rich like Just Bieber who was like 250 million. That money will get passed down to their kids, and their grand kids, and each make about 75 grand a show so if they can still stand and move their fingers and arms, just keep raking it in before they physically cant do it anymore. Honestly I can see them going on tour in 2 years, for no other reason than for the paychecks.

They really can come up with all kinds of excuses to tour. Ive been hoping for years that they would do a tour where outside of the old standards, they only play songs theyve never played live or having played in a really long time, and there is a lot of them still, so to me that would be a great excuse to tour before they retire, just to get everything they havent played in a long time or never played out there for the fans, then call it a career.

Body Electric, Emotion Detector, Different Strings/Losing It with just Geddy and Alex after the drum solo (bathroom break time), Double Agent, first side of Hemispheres (toned down a lot so Geddy can sing it), Red Tide, etc..

Edited by trenken

I could see CA being their last studio album but definitely not their last songs. In todays world of downloads I can see them doing what they did on the TM tour and touring with 4 or 5 new songs and a bag full of old goodies. I hope they'll tour even when they are so old they require naps between sets!

I wouldn't be very sad if they decided not to make anymore albums, we have plenty of Rush music to take us through the rest of our lives. I would be absolutely crushed to find out that I will never see another concert though. When that happens, I might end up on depression medication!

I wouldn't be very sad if they decided not to make anymore albums, we have plenty of Rush music to take us through the rest of our lives. I would be absolutely crushed to find out that I will never see another concert though. When that happens, I might end up on depression medication!

And they did post on their Facebook page that they will be back in North America for another leg in the summer of 2013!

I don't believe it's their last either. But I also don't believe any of those 3 tours you mentioned will happen. Rush toured in 2010, 2011, 2012, and will again in 2013. I can't imagine them touring for a 5th year in a row to do R30 part 2 (but under the tour name R40).

I can't see them doing anything else in 2014 except recharging their batteries in the first half of the year then writing and recording material in the latter half and into 2015. And I'd wager that THEY don't even have any plans past next year's CA tour.

I believe they will do what geddy said they'd do in that planet rock interview, finish the clockwork angels tour, take a break for most of 2014 and write some new music from there

I think they like what they do too much to stop, unless they physically are unable, I think they'll keep pressing on

I think they'll take the second half 2013 and the first half of 2014 off. Then return in mid summer of 2013 with two new instrumentals. Have their R40 Tour- The Time Machine too Tour (Permanent Waves in its Entirety) since we've been practically screaming for Jacob's Ladder and include all their instrumentals as well. That would be much easier on Geddy Voice which might give us a slightly longer setlist:

You guessed it, here come the setlist:

Set 1:

R40 Instrumedley:

(Finding My Way/ By-Tor & the Snowdog/ The Necromancer/ A Passage to Bangkok/ Cygnus X-1/ Hemispheres (Prelude))

Limelight

Caravan

Cut to the Chase

Where's my Thing?

Leave that thing Alone?

Main Monkey Business

Limbo

Show Don't Tell

Clockwork Angels

2112 Overture/Temples/ Finale

Set 2:

The Spirit of Radio