The Garden

Hakky2112

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Garden was a huge suprise to me during my first play of CA. When the drums kick in, it totally sets the mood of the song for me. its just a great song from beginning to end.

It's like Hope (S&A) with lyrics. The CA fanpack was the best 35$ I have ever spent on an album. I'm sure I will wear a hole through it before I die.

I hate to be a buzzkill here, but to me it goes on too long and gets too repetitive. It's a nice song and I'll enjoy it in concert, but after the solo I think it starts to sound like a typical sappy power ballad that goes on too long. Geddy's vocals get a little too whiny for me as well. Maybe if they chop 1 1/2 to 2 minutes off the end, then it may be more tolerable.

I actually prefer Halo Effect to The Garden because it's shorter and makes it's point without the need to go over the top. Unfortunately for Halo Effect, I have a feeling that it will be like Different Strings...a nice song that gets forgotten.

I've been a guitarist for a long time and when I hear the same simple chord progressions over and over I start tuning out.

Long time rush fan here, been following TRF for a while...not a hater troll, just giving my honest opinion.

QUOTE (mmm_donuts @ Aug 18 2012, 02:02 PM)
I hate to be a buzzkill here, but to me it goes on too long and gets too repetitive. It's a nice song and I'll enjoy it in concert, but after the solo I think it starts to sound like a typical sappy power ballad that goes on too long. Geddy's vocals get a little too whiny for me as well. Maybe if they chop 1 1/2 to 2 minutes off the end, then it may be more tolerable.

I actually prefer Halo Effect to The Garden because it's shorter and makes it's point without the need to go over the top. Unfortunately for Halo Effect, I have a feeling that it will be like Different Strings...a nice song that gets forgotten.

I've been a guitarist for a long time and when I hear the same simple chord progressions over and over I start tuning out.

Long time rush fan here, been following TRF for a while...not a hater troll, just giving my honest opinion.

Yep...exactly this for me.

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Aug 18 2012, 05:54 PM)

if you don't care for it it's going to sound alot longer in concert. it's a snoozer.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Aug 18 2012, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE (NYM86 @ Aug 18 2012, 05:54 PM)

if you don't care for it it's going to sound alot longer in concert. it's a snoozer.

You're a snoozer!

schla03.gif schla03.gif schla03.gif

Another buzzkill post comin' up!

It's my least favorite track on the album. It's a good song with a memorable Alex solo, and a nice lyrical sentiment (setting the use of one of my most hated expressions "it is what it is" aside*...), but... confused13.gif It just doesn't "do it" for me.

However, it's good to see that a 'new' Rush song gets so much love like this. I can't think of any song off of their last several releases that seemed to affect as many people as this one does.

*you can thank my old boss for my hate. Whenever something he didn't want to deal with came up, he would throw up his hands and say "it is what it is" and shrug it off instead of trying to deal with it.

Quite a few newbie post-ers here, purporting to play guitar for decades, ok fine.

Sounds like struggling musicians' critique, or dishonest RUSH fans who've somehow decided to chime in with unfavourable feedback.

Ohh, too repetitive, sappy this, good solo that, soo long, Red Lenses, blah blah blech!

I do think any RUSH fan from before 1990 will be immune to this other negativity.

The Garden is something they have never done before. It was for them, not you, that they came to write that song.

But YOU ought to consider that this is a BRILLIANT homogenization of these three individuals assembling a piece of music that relies on the deepest of their roots, with or without distortion.

Geddy outdid Carve away the stone, Available Light, OUt of the cradle, Bet your life...

This fng song is the ENDER of all ENDERS! Come on!!!

Bend it like Bender!!!

Beautiful, haunting, reflective, passionate.... I can't think of enough great things to say about it.

When I learned to play it, it was almost as if I had been given a kind of grace... I can't explain it. It feels special every time. wub.gif

There's something about the repetition in the back half of the song that really works well for me.

Though the song doesn't sound at all like U2 or Coldplay, I do get a bit of the vibe that I'll often get from some tunes of theirs that seem orchestral and powerful in terms of their impact through the use of repetition. Especially so in live performances.