The Garden

Hakky2112

Ok, how am I, the listener supposed to discern that this song is not from Caress of Steel, Led Zeppelin IV, or some other album that is NOT from 2012???

Timeless...hel-lo??

Is this song the most folky-bluesy-proggy-revolutionary-beauty eh-the measure of Available Light or Totem or Heresy or What You're Doing (?) - Entre Nous- Different Strings-Presto-Working them Angels-The Sphere- and so much else????

Am I alone in my goosebumps and my inability to be tired of this song (let alone the rest of the album!)?

Maaan, The Garden, to me, and I posted elsewhere, is RUSH's answer, submission or relative to Stairway To Heaven.

Imho, it is THAT great, just saying...or is that begging? For others' feelings?

Please no trolls....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Hakky2112 @ Aug 16 2012, 10:30 PM)
Ok, how am I, the listener supposed to discern that this song is not from Caress of Steel, Led Zeppelin IV, or some other album that is NOT from 2012???
Timeless...hel-lo??

Is this song the most folky-bluesy-proggy-revolutionary-beauty eh-the measure of Available Light or Totem or Heresy or What You're Doing (?) - Entre Nous- Different Strings-Presto-Working them Angels-The Sphere- and so much else????

Am I alone in my goosebumps and my inability to be tired of this song (let alone the rest of the album!)?

Maaan, The Garden, to me, and I posted elsewhere, is RUSH's answer, submission or relative to Stairway To Heaven.

Please no trolls....

AS i have stated, this album is a masterpiece, as is this song. 2.gif

Thank you. Best friend #1 in this escapade.

Classic, and it will probably wear out more needles, lenses, reels and CPUs than any other album I've had...except...maybe...Exit..Stage Left. But it doesnt exactly count, cuz its live. But it reeled me in BIG time in 1982.

How did they do it? Or is just that easy? Have a good cup of tea, or a brew, sit down, hash it out (sic), and let it all fly?

Man, this album cemented 20 layers further than necessary, my perpetual love for RUSH. Ahhh, praise over. wink.gif

QUOTE (Hakky2112 @ Aug 16 2012, 10:43 PM)
Thank you. Best friend #1 in this escapade.
Classic, and it will probably wear out more needles, lenses, reels and CPUs than any other album I've had...except...maybe...Exit..Stage Left. But it doesnt exactly count, cuz its live. But it reeled me in BIG time in 1982.

How did they do it? Or is just that easy? Have a good cup of tea, or a brew, sit down, hash it out (sic), and let it all fly?

Man, this album cemented 20 layers further than necessary, my perpetual love for RUSH. Ahhh, praise over. wink.gif

Rush are indeed, fine broths of Canadian lads. That's how we roll 2.gif

No, I totally agree. Because I know Rush's past and their hard work and knowing that after they made this song...Even EVERYONE in the whole studio were crying. It's a very emotional moment for all of us right now.

It could be their swan song...We don't know. They don't know.

Make a long story short, yes...It gives me many goosebumps.

No-one who likes this song will ever be alone in their love for it!

Beautiful, beautiful song.

wub.gif bekloppt.gif

Timeless...hel-lo??

Please no trolls....

+1 and absolutely.

When the album came out, there was an overrated/underrated thread going on. I posted that "The Garden" was underrated. Someone replied something to the effect "there's already many threads on "The Garden", you clearly don't understand the meaning of the word "underrated". I did/do understand the meaning of the word underrated, it's an absolute classic and deserves to be up on that pedestal of one of Rush's greatest songs ever.

It Is my favorite song on the album. I remember on my first listen, I was SO underwhelmed with the album as a whole piece. When that song came it blew me back.I was not expecting it. So poignant and beautiful. Just....man wub.gif

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

It's truly one of their best. wub.gif The ending is one of my favorite arrangements on the album, specifically the strings and/or synth. I'm still not exactly sure if it's real strings plus synth, or maybe the real string part with effects to give it that synth sound (LFO sweep). Whatever it is, it's sublime. Almost reminds me of an early 70s Genesis or King Crimson tune. wub.gif

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Aug 17 2012, 06:49 PM)
...bridge with the piano is pretty saccharine.

saccharine??

I don't find anything overtly "sweet" or poured on in that moment of the song. Quite the opposite. The song is about the culmination of ones life - and that moment seems almost cathartic.

It's a very meloncholy tune, actually.

QUOTE (canadianice @ Aug 16 2012, 10:33 PM)
Timeless...hel-lo??

Imho, it is THAT great, just saying...or is that begging?  For others' feelings?
Please no trolls....

I disagree that the album on the whole is a masterpiece, but I do classify "The Garden" as one.

QUOTE (canadianice @ Aug 16 2012, 10:33 PM)
Timeless...hel-lo??

Imho, it is THAT great, just saying...or is that begging?  For others' feelings?
Please no trolls....

Man has that word lost all meaning. Everything's a masterpiece now.

Mick

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Aug 17 2012, 07:32 AM)
It's all about the open G string haunting the whole song.... trink39.gif

goodpost.gif

Yes, that G does haunt the song doesn't it? That's a good way to describe it. Haunting. A breathtaking song, and the final cello note... wub.gif

The Garden is my favorite Rush song.

trink39.gif all smile.gif

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Aug 17 2012, 06:49 PM)
It starts off nice, but the bridge with the piano is pretty saccharine.

Funny, the song strikes me the exact opposite way, feeling pretty empty at the outset but building as it develops.

confused13.gif

QUOTE (clearingsky @ Aug 17 2012, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Aug 17 2012, 09:21 PM)
let's just say the garden is not on my playlist.  tongue.gif  it's tough to listen to. eh.gif

Why limit yourself to "playlists"

I just don't get that.

not limited myself at all, but i tried listened to it separate from the album and it still doesn't sound good to me.