Geddy's Singing on Tour

LedRush

On the Time Machine Tour, I was disappointed with Geddy's vocals. I understand that he's older and can't hit many notes anymore, and that doesn't bother me. My issue is that he seems to sing in a false, mid scream for many of the songs. That makes sense when he can't hit the notes and/or the song calls for a scream that he can't do anymore.

But in the last tour, even on songs like Presto, Camera Eye and Time Stand Still, he resorted to that fake scream. I wish he'd trust his voice more and give a more nuance, and softer delivery. I was very excited to hear those songs live, but I can't really listen to the CD as he's hurt the vocals so badly. I know that he had an off-night, and his voice was better during the tour, but I think the songs would be better, and his voice would last longer, if he trusted his voice more and gave teh songs the delivery they deserve.

B.S.

Geddy is awesome

He still amazing

His great Voice performance is one of the most shocking vivid things I have from the Time machine tour.

Just listen to any Rush cover band and You Will recognize how beauty and pure still Geddys voice.

No one can closely imitate it.

You didnt like it? No Problem

Just

F. Off this site

It was intended for fans

QUOTE (SUBDIVISIONS @ Aug 16 2012, 01:53 PM)
B.S.
Geddy is awesome
He still amazing
His great Voice performance is one of the most shocking vivid things I have from the Time machine tour.
Just listen to any Rush cover band and You Will recognize how beauty and pure still Geddys voice.
Just
F. Off this site
It was intended for fans

Obviously the fact that I like a different style of Geddy's singing than the one you like means that you should swear at me, that I'm not a fan, and that I should go somewhere else. Thank you for your well-reasoned opinions on this matter.

QUOTE (SUBDIVISIONS @ Aug 16 2012, 02:53 PM)
B.S.
Geddy is awesome
He still amazing
Just
F. Off this site
It was intended for fans

LedRush expressed his opinion in a civil and constructive manner, and because you don't agree with it, you tell him to "Just F. Off this site," and imply that he isn't a real fan? huh.gif

You having a bad day or something?

B.S.
Geddy is awesome
He still amazing
Just
F. Off this site
It was intended for fans

OFFSIDE

B.S.
Geddy is awesome
He still amazing
Just
F. Off this site
It was intended for fans

http://anongallery.org/img/8/5/you-seem-upset.jpg

B.S.
Geddy is awesome
He still amazing
Just
F. Off this site
It was intended for fans

+1

I really love Geddy's voice as it is now. I wrote this in a different thread this morning:

QUOTE (GeddysMullet)
I think the vocals on Clockwork Angels are emotive and wonderful. Live, I find Geddy's voice to range from adequate to thrilling. Perhaps it's the determination he puts into it that I find appealing, but there's definitely an energy and an emotional quality in his singing over the last several years that really gets me, and usually outweighs technical shortcomings. I could spend all day listening to 21st-century Geddy sing. And sometimes do!

That's pretty much my word on Geddy's recent voice.

As for the Time Machine recording specifically, I was disappointed that it wasn't a better night for Time Stand Since which was a highlight of the tour for me, but there are also plenty of vocal performances on it that satisfy me deeply.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 16 2012, 03:29 PM)
I really love Geddy's voice as it is now. I wrote this in a different thread this morning:

QUOTE (GeddysMullet)
I think the vocals on Clockwork Angels are emotive and wonderful. Live, I find Geddy's voice to range from adequate to thrilling. Perhaps it's the determination he puts into it that I find appealing, but there's definitely an energy and an emotional quality in his singing over the last several years that really gets me, and usually outweighs technical shortcomings. I could spend all day listening to 21st-century Geddy sing. And sometimes do!

As for the Time Machine recording specifically, I was disappointed that it wasn't a better night for Time Stand Since which was a highlight of the tour for me, but there are also plenty of vocal performances on it that satisfy me deeply.

I like his voice now as well. That's why I wish he'd use it in songs like the ones I mentioned, rather than try and push too hard.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 16 2012, 04:48 PM)
I really love Geddy's voice as it is now.  I wrote this in a different thread this morning:

QUOTE (GeddysMullet)

I like his voice now as well. That's why I wish he'd use it in songs like the ones I mentioned, rather than try and push too hard.

goodpost.gif

I love his voice today. I think it sounds better than it ever has. He sings the old high stuff in a lower register because people still want to hear the old songs and they still want to play them.

I like the way his voice has aged, I think it is much warmer than when he was younger.

heart.gif Geddy's voice wub.gif

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 16 2012, 03:48 PM)
I really love Geddy's voice as it is now.  I wrote this in a different thread this morning:

QUOTE (GeddysMullet)

Have to agree with Geddy's vocal approach on CA being pretty awesome. He's loud, strong, and sounds good! But I understand the thoughts behind his singing live... quite honestly, I haven't watched the TM dvd since I first watched it, though I've been watching all other live concert dvds (including a few nice bootlegs...) regularly - the vocals are a big part of my Rush-listening experience, and the TM vocals aren't as good as the other concerts'. Yes, Geddy seems to employ more of a shouting-thing, and I'm not a big fan. I'd rather the vocals be lowered so they can be sung with more nuance and control. Geddy has a wonderful-sounding voice, and he can sing well, so he doesn't need to try to push it so hard in areas that are beyond this area of good sound and control. He doesn't have to keep up the extreme high-pitchedness, and I think he does because he thinks he needs to; maybe he's not comfortable letting his lower, more melodic register take over.

And I agree with the comment about 'Time Stand Still' - when it started being played at the concert I went to, I was so excited! But the vocals just weren't up to par on the song.

But what to do... Geddy can keep straining to sing the songs as they are, with the high parts, or he can sing lower parts instead, which would sound different, or possible problem-causing songs could be eliminated altogether...

In any case (this is getting too long!), I'm looking forward to experiencing the CA songs live. Geddy's powerful live way of singing is going to be put to good use with these songs! cheer.gif

In studio his voice is still good but you're living in some sort of denial if you don't recognize that his voice has been very hit and miss when it comes to perfroming the older material over the last few tours. I'm not talking about the 70s stuff but the material from the 80s that he should still be able to do. There's no doubt he's sounding more and more off on those songs in recent years. Just listen to Time Machine Live, he sounds terrible on it and makes it a compeltely unlistenable album. He couldn't even handle Presto on that night and that is not a vocally challenging song at all.

I saw them twice on the last tour. The first time Geddy sounded fine but the second time he did sound off in a number of spots. I love Rush and will always support them no matter what but there's no denying that Geddy is having more bad days vocally now then he did on past tours.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Here's my review of vocals on Time Machine. I thought his voice sucked on Time Stand Still, Overture/Temples of Syrinx, Closer to the Heart, and Working Man. Other than that, I thought his voice was average. However, I will point out that it was awesome on Red Barchetta and Camera Eye.

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 16 2012, 02:31 PM)
On the Time Machine Tour, I was disappointed with Geddy's vocals. I understand that he's older and can't hit many notes anymore, and that doesn't bother me. My issue is that he seems to sing in a false, mid scream for many of the songs. That makes sense when he can't hit the notes and/or the song calls for a scream that he can't do anymore.

But in the last tour, even on songs like Presto, Camera Eye and Time Stand Still, he resorted to that fake scream. I wish he'd trust his voice more and give a more nuance, and softer delivery. I was very excited to hear those songs live, but I can't really listen to the CD as he's hurt the vocals so badly. I know that he had an off-night, and his voice was better during the tour, but I think the songs would be better, and his voice would last longer, if he trusted his voice more and gave teh songs the delivery they deserve.

He may have had an off night or it was towards the beginning of the tour. Where did you see them?

Let's face it though, the guy is old and he doesn't have the range he used to. But I am still impressed on what he can do vocally.

Geddy's voice is just fine! The man has been singing for over 40 years and recording his unique voice for 38 of them. However that said, I somewhat understand your point of view. His voice is not what it was in the 80's or even the 90's but he's still belting them out. Many other lead singers haven't even had a third of the longevity that Geddy has. This is one of the reasons I'm glad everytime they release a new album. Since their new albums are recorded in his current register, this keeps providing more songs that he can perform live in concert. Their catalog keeps growing and replacing some of the older high pitched songs he can't perform that well any longer. Clockwork Angels sucess has been very important for RUSH and it alone has instantly prolonged their touring career. Instantly they have given themselves 12 songs that they could choose from to fill their set list in a voice register that's comfortable for Geddy. Add that to the 9 from S & A they have played live and you have a very well rounded group of songs to fit Geddy's aging voice. Now don't misunderstand me. This doesn't mean that they should ignor the older classics, it just means they don't have to rely on them to have a great set list. As long as they keep recording they'll have songs to keep touring with Geddy's voice in the fore-front!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

Agreed, his vocals were a little off...But that's just age. Heck, you definitely can't criticize his voice for the rest of the show...I mean...Freewill!? WOW! That's really impressive that almost 35 years later of making that song, he can still sing higher than most of us can!

Gotta give the man credit, his vocals are phenomenal.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 16 2012, 10:16 PM)
His voice wasn't very good on the Time Machine live album but he sounded great when I saw them in NYC last year.

I was at that show. He was awesome. But he still strained a little too much in the three songs I mentioned. Not nearly as bad as on the CD, but not as good if he just sang more relaxed and more in his modern voice.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 16 2012, 10:01 PM)
Geddy's voice is just fine! The man has been singing for over 40 years and recording his unique voice for 38 of them. However that said, I somewhat understand your point of view. His voice is not what it was in the 80's or even the 90's but he's still belting them out. Many other lead singers haven't even had a third of the longevity that Geddy has. This is one of the reasons I'm glad everytime they release a new album. Since their new albums are recorded in his current register, this keeps providing more songs that he can perform live in concert. Their catalog keeps growing and replacing some of the older high pitched songs he can't perform that well any longer. Clockwork Angels sucess has been very important for RUSH and it alone has instantly prolonged their touring career. Instantly they have given themselves 12 songs that they could choose from to fill their set list in a voice register that's comfortable for Geddy. Add that to the 9 from S & A they have played live and you have a very well rounded group of songs to fit Geddy's aging voice. Now don't misunderstand me. This doesn't mean that they should ignor the older classics, it just means they don't have to rely on them to have a great set list. As long as they keep recording they'll have songs to keep touring with Geddy's voice in the fore-front!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

The crazy thing is, the songs that I mention all work great in the lower register, and are not even the high-pitched ones of the past. I just think he sometimes tries to put too much into the live voice, and his voice strains as a result.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 16 2012, 09:02 PM)
QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 16 2012, 02:31 PM)
On the Time Machine Tour, I was disappointed with Geddy's vocals.  I understand that he's older and can't hit many notes anymore, and that doesn't bother me.  My issue is that he seems to sing in a false, mid scream for many of the songs.  That makes sense when he can't hit the notes and/or the song calls for a scream that he can't do anymore.

But in the last tour, even on songs like Presto, Camera Eye and Time Stand Still, he resorted to that fake scream.  I wish he'd trust his voice more and give a more nuance, and softer delivery.  I was very excited to hear those songs live, but I can't really listen to the CD as he's hurt the vocals so badly.  I know that he had an off-night, and his voice was better during the tour, but I think the songs would be better, and his voice would last longer, if he trusted his voice more and gave teh songs the delivery they deserve.

He may have had an off night or it was towards the beginning of the tour. Where did you see them?

Let's face it though, the guy is old and he doesn't have the range he used to. But I am still impressed on what he can do vocally.

I saw every show in Philly, NJ and NYC. My issue isn't that his voice is bad. My issue is the way he is choosing to sing some of his songs makes his voice not as good as it could be. If he sang more naturally, and perhaps softer, on Presto, The Camera Eye, and Time Stand Still, the songs would have been greatly improved.

QUOTE (DBJetsman @ Aug 16 2012, 06:41 PM)
Here's my review of vocals on Time Machine. I thought his voice sucked on Time Stand Still, Overture/Temples of Syrinx, Closer to the Heart, and Working Man. Other than that, I thought his voice was average. However, I will point out that it was awesome on Red Barchetta and Camera Eye.

If you liked his voice on Camera Eye, you must like the strained, mid-range scream that drives me nuts. That song doesn't need that, and it mars an otherwise great performance.