Early speculation about next new studio album

treeduck

When will the next new RUSH album be released?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. When will the next new RUSH album be released?

• 2013 - I swear they have some leftover songs they can make into an EP
    • 2014 - They'll hit the ground running once Clockwork Angels tour is over
    • 2015 - I think they'll be eager to follow up CA, they'll bust a gut
    • 2016 - Should be around Autumn, they better mix it right this time
    • 2017 - Another 5 years and this might be the last one
    • 2018 - It's gonna be even longer than last time
    • 2019 - These guys are gonna really take ages with the next one
    • 2020 - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • None - Rush are done, Clockwork Angels was the finale, the kiss goodbye
    • Johnny Blaze thinks another new album will drop in 2012, off his shelf...
    • Rushgoober may rob a CD warehouse of all VT copies drop them off a cliff
    • METALDAD steals Snakes & Arrows CDs by night dressed as Green Arrow
    • Hatchet Pete eats little packs of Marillion fairy cakes by the crate
    • Ya_Big_Tree is a secret agent and she does all this slut stuff for her job
    • RUSHHEAD666 now lives inside a giant RUSH 2112 LP jacket
    • Babycat is the new roommate of Natalie Portman, she lives in her trailer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Clockwork Angels will be the last album. It's a fitting way to sign off with their best work in well...................a long time and go out out on such a high. Reading between the lines it also seems they are taking the time to really make this tour something special as well.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 14 2012, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 14 2012, 06:47 PM)
I honestly can't see Geddy's voice holding up long enough to do it again after this, especially considering they've got two legs of a tour in front of them, and it would likely again be five years between albums. 

I hate to say it, but unless something dramatically changes, based on how things have been going the last few years live, the vocal performances in the next year or two are going to get pretty bad in places to the point where even the diehards who think they can do no wrong will have to acknowledge the problem.  I just don't think they've got another one in them past this point.

The only way I could see them pulling it off is if they do a studio album without a tour as his voice won't make it that far, but you know that will never happen as they don't make money on albums, only touring.  I bet after a 2-3 year rest after this set of tours his voice will be able to hold up for a studio release, but not live, so it will be the end.

That said, thank God their last studio album was such a great one, and the last song was a brilliant close to a career.

Highly realistic appraisal. I'll take another studio lp without a tour if the results are like CA. If Nick is involved with the next album, we will marvel at such richness...his track record proves it!!! But in the now you are correct...excellent observations.

2.gif

It's not an issue some people really want to deal with, but I'm trying to be realistic about it, not judgmental.

I certainly HOPE they do another studio album, especially if it's anywhere near the quality of CA, but I'm not holding my breath either.

Did you know it's impossible to kill yourself by holding your breath? Once you pass out reflex kicks in and you start breathing on your own anyway, like you're asleep.

(unless you're reallllllly stupid!)

I think they may have left over songs numbering in the thousands and will release two every other year starting last year so 2013 is my vote. Tour continually to R75.

trink39.gif cool10.gif bekloppt.gif smile.gif

Tough one: I've read where Alex speaks directly about "the next album" and then again I read the interview where he talks about how hard it's getting for Neil to get in shape for the tours.

If they have one more in 'em, it'll be the last. My guess is they'll revert to the initial idea of releasing a "Best of...Instrumentals" with one new instrumental on it, do an R40 and then riding off into the Canadian/Californian sunset.

Im with goobs somewhat on this one....it will all depend on how they continue touring....the ca tour is already 2 legs long with a North America and a U.K leg....and if the last 2 tours are any indication they'll add a european and a 2nd North American leg as well......no problem

But after that? If they continue this formula after The CA album cycle...I dont see more than 1 more go-around from the band....but if however in 2 or 3 years when they get ready to release a new album that if for that tour they were to scale back the touring by not adding third anf fourth legs and open up the possibility for opening acts again I could see the potential for albums beyond enen that...

Or they could go full on Beatles and stop touring altogether and churn out 5 more records..

I think it's more likely than not that there will eventually be another album, and that there's even a reasonable chance that it will be good. biggrin.gif

But then, I also love Geddy's voice as it is now, so what do I know. I think the vocals on Clockwork Angels are emotive and wonderful. Live, I find Geddy's voice to range from adequate to thrilling. Perhaps it's the determination he puts into it that I find appealing, but there's definitely an energy and an emotional quality in his singing over the last several years that really gets me, and usually outweighs technical shortcomings. I could spend all day listening to 21st-century Geddy sing. And sometimes do!

Edited by GeddysMullet

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 16 2012, 12:46 PM)
I think it's more likely than not that there will eventually be another album, and that there's even a reasonable chance that it will be good. biggrin.gif

But then, I also love Geddy's voice as it is now, so what do I know. I think the vocals on Clockwork Angels are emotive and wonderful. Live, I find Geddy's voice to range from adequate to thrilling. Perhaps it's the determination he puts into it that I find appealing, but there's definitely an energy and an emotional quality in his singing over the last several years that really gets me, and usually outweighs technical shortcomings. I could spend all day listening to 21st-century Geddy sing. And sometimes do!

goodpost.gif

I cant understand what kind of problems people struggles with in their ears when they state that Geddy cant sing anymore.

I think he sounds awesome!

2012-2013: Clockwork Angels Tour

Winter 2013: Clockwork Angels Live CD/DVD

Spring 2014: Album/Tour "Retirement" Annoucement

Spring 2014: Instrumental Album "Strange Measures"

(All their instrumentals plus 3 New Instrumentals Produced by Nick)

2014 - 2015: R40 Tour (A Farewell to Fans Tour)

Spring 2015: R40 - A Farewell to Fans Tour Live CD/DVD

Spring 2016: Induction into RRHOF

Fall 2016: New Album "BlackJack"

2016-2017 : Reunion "BlackJack" Tour

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 17 2012, 10:43 AM)
2012-2013: Clockwork Angels Tour
Winter 2013: Clockwork Angels Live CD/DVD
Spring 2014: Album/Tour "Retirement" Annoucement
Spring 2014: Instrumental Album "Strange Measures"
2014 - 2015: R40 Tour (A Farewell to Fans Tour)
Spring 2015: R40 - A Farewell to Fans Tour Live CD/DVD
Spring 2016: Induction into RRHOF
Fall 2016: New Album "BlackJack"
2016-2017 : Reunion "BlackJack" Tour

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

this is asinine

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Aug 17 2012, 11:56 AM)
I will be very upset if I have to wait until 2016 for a new RUSH album.

I'll be very happy if I can look forward to a new Rush album in 2016!

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Aug 17 2012, 10:54 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 17 2012, 10:43 AM)
2012-2013:      Clockwork Angels Tour
Winter 2013:    Clockwork Angels Live CD/DVD
Spring 2014:    Album/Tour  "Retirement" Annoucement
Spring 2014:    Instrumental Album "Strange Measures"
2014 - 2015:    R40 Tour (A Farewell to Fans Tour)
Spring 2015:    R40 - A Farewell to Fans Tour Live CD/DVD
Spring 2016:    Induction into RRHOF
Fall 2016:          New Album "BlackJack"
2016-2017  :    Reunion "BlackJack" Tour

2.gif  1022.gif  2.gif

this is asinine

And you're an @ss-in-nine ways!

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Snowman @ Aug 17 2012, 02:57 AM)
QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 16 2012, 12:46 PM)

But then, I also love Geddy's voice as it is now, so what do I know.  I think the vocals on Clockwork Angels are emotive and wonderful.  Live, I find Geddy's voice to range from adequate to thrilling.  Perhaps it's the determination he puts into it that I find appealing, but there's definitely an energy and an emotional quality in his singing over the last several years that really gets me, and usually outweighs technical shortcomings.  I could spend all day listening to 21st-century Geddy sing.  And sometimes do!

goodpost.gif

I cant understand what kind of problems people struggles with in their ears when they state that Geddy cant sing anymore.

I think he sounds awesome!

There is nothing wrong with his vocals. He is an awesome rock singer and his work on CA is fantastic - some of his best in years.

Live he is great but had some hard nights on the last tour, understandable due to the number of shows and type of singing he does. Unfortunately every flaw is now recorded and put on youtube.

His vocals on the TMT dvd are also not up to snuff - but not indicicative of his singing ability. I have plenty of bootlegs that have him sounding excellent on that tour.

Geds voice is, and always will be the easiest target for people who want to complain, either because they hate his voice, want him to sound like he did when he was young, or are simply jealous (Trenken)

Why does anyone imagine they have to call it a day anyways?

Since when did the urge to create stop at any particular age?

Sure I can see them not needing or wanting to tour on the same scale as they have done but so what?

That doesn't mean the music has to end.

Even if the rate at which they create slows.