Early speculation about next new studio album

treeduck

When will the next new RUSH album be released?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. When will the next new RUSH album be released?

• 2013 - I swear they have some leftover songs they can make into an EP
    • 2014 - They'll hit the ground running once Clockwork Angels tour is over
    • 2015 - I think they'll be eager to follow up CA, they'll bust a gut
    • 2016 - Should be around Autumn, they better mix it right this time
    • 2017 - Another 5 years and this might be the last one
    • 2018 - It's gonna be even longer than last time
    • 2019 - These guys are gonna really take ages with the next one
    • 2020 - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • None - Rush are done, Clockwork Angels was the finale, the kiss goodbye
    • Johnny Blaze thinks another new album will drop in 2012, off his shelf...
    • Rushgoober may rob a CD warehouse of all VT copies drop them off a cliff
    • METALDAD steals Snakes & Arrows CDs by night dressed as Green Arrow
    • Hatchet Pete eats little packs of Marillion fairy cakes by the crate
    • Ya_Big_Tree is a secret agent and she does all this slut stuff for her job
    • RUSHHEAD666 now lives inside a giant RUSH 2112 LP jacket
    • Babycat is the new roommate of Natalie Portman, she lives in her trailer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just a hillbilly and don't know much. What I do know is this....as long as health holds up, they will write music...

They're milking it until they drop! Who wouldn't? New album in 2014---instrumental one called "lick my love pump!"

2.gif 2.gif

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

I'm of the mind set that we'll see one more.

I anticipate something much softer and introspective that would be a fitting swan song for a 40th anniversary

Something tells me this is it for anything from scratch. I'm anticipating a 40th Anniversary tour and then their retirement.

They feel they've been playing the best now than they have in years. They've definitely said that they don't want to continue on too long and become caricatures of themselves.

I would hope that there is one more to complete the set of four that they used to do between live releases. I know they stopped doing that with VT, but the purist in me would like to see one more and then call it a career. When will it show, tough to say. They will be 65 in 2017 or 18, so hopefully before that. If this is it, I guess I can live with it...

after the years of frustration waiting for CA i cant even begin to wonder when the next album's out

and if and when an announcement made i hope to high heaven and f**k it's reasonably close to release date

two years after caravan/Bu2b was too long mannn

I honestly can't see Geddy's voice holding up long enough to do it again after this, especially considering they've got two legs of a tour in front of them, and it would likely again be five years between albums.

I hate to say it, but unless something dramatically changes, based on how things have been going the last few years live, the vocal performances in the next year or two are going to get pretty bad in places to the point where even the diehards who think they can do no wrong will have to acknowledge the problem. I just don't think they've got another one in them past this point.

The only way I could see them pulling it off is if they do a studio album without a tour as his voice won't make it that far, but you know that will never happen as they don't make money on albums, only touring. I bet after a 2-3 year rest after this set of tours his voice will be able to hold up for a studio release, but not live, so it will be the end.

That said, thank God their last studio album was such a great one, and the last song was a brilliant close to a career.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 14 2012, 06:47 PM)
I honestly can't see Geddy's voice holding up long enough to do it again after this, especially considering they've got two legs of a tour in front of them, and it would likely again be five years between albums.

I hate to say it, but unless something dramatically changes, based on how things have been going the last few years live, the vocal performances in the next year or two are going to get pretty bad in places to the point where even the diehards who think they can do no wrong will have to acknowledge the problem. I just don't think they've got another one in them past this point.

The only way I could see them pulling it off is if they do a studio album without a tour as his voice won't make it that far, but you know that will never happen as they don't make money on albums, only touring. I bet after a 2-3 year rest after this set of tours his voice will be able to hold up for a studio release, but not live, so it will be the end.

That said, thank God their last studio album was such a great one, and the last song was a brilliant close to a career.

Highly realistic appraisal. I'll take another studio lp without a tour if the results are like CA. If Nick is involved with the next album, we will marvel at such richness...his track record proves it!!! But in the now you are correct...excellent observations.

2.gif

It was either Neil or Geddy that said in an interview that they used to only ever plan one year at a time...and this time they have the next two years planned ahead of them. Not sure if that's a precursor to them wrapping it up for their 40th or not.

I certainly don't see them touring until age 65.

I see them releasing another CD in 2014 called "BlackJack". Who knows maybe its already recorded. Perhaps the reason this album took so long to be released was that they actually recorded more songs than we've been presented with on Clockwork Angels. Yes, this is all speculation and definately wishful but there may be several songs and even instrumentals not related to the Clockwork Angels concept that they've placed on ice to release as their Swan Song. It would be pretty cool if they would surprise us with another 60+ minute album containing a longer 9+ mintues Epic, several instrumental and some hard hitting Headlong Flight, Caravan and Anarchist type songs for their 40th Anniversary "A Farewell to Fans Tour"!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Sorry "I Can't stop thinking Big!"

wink.gif

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Aug 14 2012, 10:18 PM)
IF they do one last record...Wouldn't it be something if Terry Brown produced it...One. Last. Time. Talk about a closing album to such an incredible band. Not saying CA isn't...but...Terry Brown!

Here's an idea:

Album name: "BlackJack"

A 9 song album,

3 Songs produced by (Terry Brown)

3 Songs produced by (Peter Collins)

3 Songs produced by (Nick Raskulinecz)

Album contains:

3 Heavy faster songs (Like: Caravan, Limelight & TSOR)

1 Epic & 2 Seven plus minute songs (like Xanadu, Red Barchetta & Headlong Flight)

2 Instrumentals (like YYZ, and La Villa Strangiatto)

1 Softer Song (like The Garden)

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (Amy Farrah Fowler @ Aug 14 2012, 06:09 PM)
I'm anticipating a 40th Anniversary tour and then their retirement.

yes.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 14 2012, 10:31 PM)
IF they do one last record...Wouldn't it be something if Terry Brown produced it...One. Last. Time. Talk about a closing album to such an incredible band. Not saying CA isn't...but...Terry Brown!

Here's an idea:

A 9 song album,

Album contains:

1 Epic & 2 Seven plus minute songs (like Xanadu, Red Barchetta & Headlong Flight)

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Good idea. Or, if they can pull it out. One more epic. That'd be interesting to see what they do. I know Clockwork Angels is like one "giant epic" but all the songs follow usual album trends, they sound different from one another.

Rush's earlier epics have somewhat of the same theme to their different sections. I would love to see what they would do with an epic.

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Aug 15 2012, 10:22 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 14 2012, 10:31 PM)

Here's an idea:

A 9 song album,

Album contains:

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Good idea. Or, if they can pull it out. One more epic. That'd be interesting to see what they do. I know Clockwork Angels is like one "giant epic" but all the songs follow usual album trends, they sound different from one another.

Rush's earlier epics have somewhat of the same theme to their different sections. I would love to see what they would do with an epic.

However improbable, it would be great to see 2.gif retire after their best album ever. Yeah, even bigger than MP! After hearing CA, I think they can do it!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Aug 15 2012, 12:25 AM)
2012: tour
2013: tour
2014: R40 tour will NOT happen; rest and a little bit of writing towards the end of the year
2015: release new album in late spring...and folks will say, "Wow! It ONLY took them 3 years instead of 5 this time!"

This is how I see it...

trink38.gif