Which Neil Do You Prefer?

presto123

I'm torn on this . While improv skills are great Neil is such a GREAT compositional drummer that I almost prefer he work out or pre-plan his drum parts.(at least in the studio) I'm all for improv during the solo though. For those of you that didn't read the new interview supposedly Neil is going to totally improv the drum solo on this tour.

Neil's drum skills have not diminished AT ALL in fact they have gotten better over the last 20 years but I still think I prefer that he use the old method of refining and perfecting his drum parts over time. The drumming on CA is very good but it just seems to me there aren't as many of those SIGNATURE drum parts as there used to be when he was a meticulous planner.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Improv . He needs to totally revamp his solo and this is the way to do it . I think his solo's have become boring and predictable , this will change that

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 14 2012, 02:26 PM)
Improv . He needs to totally revamp his solo and this is the way to do it . I think his solo's have become boring and predictable , this will change that

I agree. I welcome the improvisized solo. However, I believe he should present any previously recorded songs in their original state, and this including all songs from Clockwork Angels.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 14 2012, 04:01 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 14 2012, 02:26 PM)

I agree. I welcome the improvisized solo. However, I believe he should present any previously recorded songs in their original state, and this including all songs from Clockwork Angels.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

yes.gif I am only talking about the solo

I don't think he is going to improv the whole thing. I'm sure he's going to have the framework of the solo, which he will use every night, even if it's very rough framework and then he'll improv the stuff around it. I think he is just too methodical to just go from scrath every night with something he hasn't worked on at least a little.

QUOTE (presto123 @ Aug 14 2012, 02:07 PM)
I'm torn on this . While improv skills are great Neil is such a GREAT compositional drummer that I almost prefer he work out or pre-plan his drum parts.(at least in the studio) I'm all for improv during the solo though. For those of you that didn't read the new interview supposedly Neil is going to totally improv the drum solo on this tour.

Neil's drum skills have not diminished AT ALL in fact they have gotten better over the last 20 years but I still think I prefer that he use the old method of refining and perfecting his drum parts over time. The drumming on CA is very good but it just seems to me there aren't as many of those SIGNATURE drum parts as there used to be when he was a meticulous planner.

I find his improve fairly predictable. I saw 4 shows last tour. His solos were identical, even the "improv" sections were essentially the same.

I don't hear alot of improv in the new album although how can you tell? Whether he worked it all out or did a one take improv to record it, unless you were there, how would you know. His drumming sounds no different best I can hear any of it on the mix.

I think I like the structured approach best. At least back when he wrote drum parts to impress people.

QUOTE (OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan @ Aug 14 2012, 04:29 PM)
I don't think he is going to improv the whole thing. I'm sure he's going to have the framework of the solo, which he will use every night, even if it's very rough framework and then he'll improv the stuff around it. I think he is just too methodical to just go from scrath every night with something he hasn't worked on at least a little.

He said that he used to use a framework and now he's using no framework. I find it hard to believe as well but we'll see. If he still uses the electronic side you would think there would have to be at least a little framework.

For Neil's drumming on Clockwork Angels, i was a little disappointed. I was expecting to hear again some ferocius rhytms and technical playing. Drums sounded a bit dull, uninspired...

I love his playing overall and he is,of course, the greatest drummer ever been on earth. Obviously he is getting older and it is easier to play "improvisingly" than correctly on the beat.

I would say that a Great drum track can make a good song to an excellent song.

So compositional drumming would be better, but at his age this "new" style is refreshing and it adds groove and surprises to songs.

I like the Neil who doesn't whine, moan or stereotype and just plays drums and only writes about cool stuff.

common001.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Aug 15 2012, 05:58 AM)
I prefer a happy Neil.

Not gonna happen laugh.gif

QUOTE (SchemingDemon @ Aug 14 2012, 07:56 PM)
I'm curious to see his improvised solo. I'll be at two shows in a row so I'll be able to judge just how different and improvised they are

You probably will see some differences. I like the idea of NP having more freedom to roam on his drum solo, but the last drum solo leaned a little to the boring side in places. I hope he pulls out some surprises this time. More cowbell.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 15 2012, 07:52 AM)
QUOTE (Lerxster @ Aug 15 2012, 05:58 AM)
I prefer a happy Neil.

Not gonna happen laugh.gif

Aw, I think he's happy. Nice wife and baby, new digs, satisfaction from CA, getting all improvisational, sticking it to the Man.. he's happy. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Kuolema @ Aug 14 2012, 04:54 PM)
For Neil's drumming on Clockwork Angels, i was a little disappointed. I was expecting to hear again some ferocius rhytms and technical playing. Drums sounded a bit dull, uninspired...
I love his playing overall and he is,of course, the greatest drummer ever been on earth. Obviously he is getting older and it is easier to play "improvisingly" than correctly on the beat.
I would say that a Great drum track can make a good song to an excellent song.
So compositional drumming would be better, but at his age this "new" style is refreshing and it adds groove and surprises to songs.

Criticizing Neil's drumming with your first post, eh? Why don't you listen a little closer to the nuances in Neil's style of today? Maybe if you do you will find something you didn't hear before in terms of timing, structure, stylistic finesse and thematic progression