Test for Echo (The Song)

losingit2k

Should they bring T4E back live for CA?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Should they bring T4E back live for CA?

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 13 2012, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Aug 13 2012, 12:07 PM)
QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Aug 12 2012, 04:01 PM)
QUOTE (NYM86 @ Aug 12 2012, 03:49 PM)
I'd love to hear more Test For Echo all the way around (except Resist, like Cyclonus said). Great hard rock album with exactly the type of midrange vocals Geddy can still nail.

I think he'd do really well with The Color of Right, and Time and Motion seems like it would sound right at home amongst a bunch of Clockwork Angels tunes.

Sadly, we'll probably be lucky to get even one T4E tune, and if we do it'll likely be Driven (which I'd be okay with) or perhaps--since they like it so much--Resist ( 062802puke_prv.gif ).

Time and Motion would be great!

that is the song I've been waiting to br brought up. the whole arrangement is fantastic. applaudit.gif

Yeah, Time and Motion is my third favorite song on that album. I can't believe they barely played that live. I felt it was always one of the stronger songs on T4E.

confused13.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 13 2012, 12:19 PM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 13 2012, 12:10 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Aug 13 2012, 12:07 PM)
QUOTE (Cyclonus X-1 @ Aug 12 2012, 04:01 PM)
QUOTE (NYM86 @ Aug 12 2012, 03:49 PM)
I'd love to hear more Test For Echo all the way around (except Resist, like Cyclonus said). Great hard rock album with exactly the type of midrange vocals Geddy can still nail.

I think he'd do really well with The Color of Right, and Time and Motion seems like it would sound right at home amongst a bunch of Clockwork Angels tunes.

Sadly, we'll probably be lucky to get even one T4E tune, and if we do it'll likely be Driven (which I'd be okay with) or perhaps--since they like it so much--Resist ( 062802puke_prv.gif ).

Time and Motion would be great!

that is the song I've been waiting to br brought up. the whole arrangement is fantastic. applaudit.gif

Yeah, Time and Motion is my third favorite song on that album. I can't believe they barely played that live. I felt it was always one of the stronger songs on T4E.

confused13.gif

The keyboard arrangement is well done!!! that was a great show in Dallas on that tour!!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 13 2012, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Aug 13 2012, 10:37 AM)
I wouldn't call Test for Echo an essential Rush song by any stretch of the imagination.

As far as them bringing the song back, I wouldn't fret if it came back, but I'd be fine with them never playing it again.  The fact that they haven't played it since the TFE tour probably speaks volumes about how little they must think of it.  Has any other Track 1 on a Rush studio album been played so little?  The answer is no.  Most Rush Track 1s have had long live shelf lives, and Test for Echo is the only Track 1 to not only be played on only one tour ever, but to not even make it to the set list of the following tour (after its initial album run's tour).

"Test for Echo" is the essential RUSH song on T4E. That and "Driven"! It's definately not a staple live : (Limelight, Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, YYZ, 2112 Overture/Temples) etc. But it is an essential Rush song specially on T4E. It was their single for the album and strong enough to open the 2nd Set of the Tour. You might not like the song or even want to hear it live ever again, but it is an essential RUSH song.

yes.gif

You make a good point, but I would say that Resist would be the most essential song from that album (if you had to make a list of essential songs from each lp in the catalog). That being said, I would rather hear Driven, T&M, or Totem from this disc.

I know a lot of people bash this disc, but there are a lot of great tunes on it.

Musically, "T4E" is a very good song. Solid riff, good arrangement, great guitar tones. Lyrically, it's pretty dated. Reality police shows like "COPS" were becoming all the rage, and we had just endured the OJ Simpson "showcase trial on TV" the year before, and those events and the trends they started were the inspiration for that song's lyrics.

The same can be said for "Virtuality" and its internet commentary. Listening today, it feels very dated.

I picture the boys auditioning songs for a setlist, and passing over these two because of their overly topical lyrics. I don't think we'll hear them live again. Lyrically, they're both very "17 years ago."

Like others here have said, "Time and Motion" would be my pick to hear live. It still holds up pretty well.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 13 2012, 02:36 PM)
Musically, "T4E" is a very good song. Solid riff, good arrangement, great guitar tones. Lyrically, it's pretty dated. Reality police shows like "COPS" were becoming all the rage, and we had just endured the OJ Simpson "showcase trial on TV" the year before, and those events and the trends they started were the inspiration for that song's lyrics.

The same can be said for "Virtuality" and its internet commentary. Listening today, it feels very dated.

I picture the boys auditioning songs for a setlist, and passing over these two because of their overly topical lyrics. I don't think we'll hear them live again. Lyrically, they're both very "17 years ago."

Like others here have said, "Time and Motion" would be my pick to hear live. It still holds up pretty well.

Oh there are "Showcase Trials on TV" all the damn time. Every year there some new Showcase trial on TV. Soon we'll have the one for that Pretend Psycho who comitted the Theater Massacre in CO. The courts should just do away with that whole insanity defense.

admin.gif

Regardless, RUSH should play "T4E" live again. They play TSOR what song has more dated lyrics than that? Unless he means Satelite Radio? Does he mean Satelite Radio?

unsure.gif confused13.gif wtf.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 13 2012, 03:49 PM)

Oh there are "Showcase Trials on TV" all the damn time. Every year there some new Showcase trial on TV. Soon we'll have the one for that Pretend Psycho who comitted the Theater Massacre in CO. The courts should just do away with that whole insanity defense.

admin.gif

Regardless, RUSH should play "T4E" live again. They play TSOR what song has more dated lyrics than that? Unless he means Satelite Radio? Does he mean Satelite Radio?

Showcase trials and reality TV are established "entertainment" now. They're not new like they were in the mid-90s when Neil wrote about them, which is what made those lyrics interesting -- back then.

"TSOR" is less topical than those two T4E songs, IMO. People have always begun the day with music, sometimes with a DJ. But now, for many people, they're on satellite radio or an iPod. I don't think the art with integrity theme is very dated. Plus, no matter how you interpret the lyrics, "TSOR" is a must-play Rush classic, and has been played on every tour for the past 30+ years. Can't say that about ANY song from T4E.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 13 2012, 03:03 PM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 13 2012, 03:49 PM)

admin.gif

Showcase trials and reality TV are established "entertainment" now. They're not new like they were in the mid-90s when Neil wrote about them, which is what made those lyrics interesting -- back then.

"TSOR" is less topical than those two T4E songs, IMO. People have always begun the day with music, sometimes with a DJ. But now, for many people, they're on satellite radio or an iPod. I don't think the art with integrity theme is very dated. Plus, no matter how you interpret the lyrics, "TSOR" is a must-play Rush classic, and has been played on every tour for the past 30+ years. Can't say that about ANY song from T4E.

yes.gif Complete agree.

BTW, Mr. Admin, I just noticed your sig banners/images.

Being touched by autism, Down Syndrome and Crohn's Disease is difficult enough, but layer being a fan of NY sports team - especially the f'ing Yankees - on top of that? Damn, man, that is truly a bad break.

wink.gif

Edited by The Mighty Dudad

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Aug 13 2012, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (The K Man @ Aug 13 2012, 10:37 AM)
I wouldn't call Test for Echo an essential Rush song by any stretch of the imagination.

As far as them bringing the song back, I wouldn't fret if it came back, but I'd be fine with them never playing it again.  The fact that they haven't played it since the TFE tour probably speaks volumes about how little they must think of it.  Has any other Track 1 on a Rush studio album been played so little?  The answer is no.  Most Rush Track 1s have had long live shelf lives, and Test for Echo is the only Track 1 to not only be played on only one tour ever, but to not even make it to the set list of the following tour (after its initial album run's tour).

"Test for Echo" is the essential RUSH song on T4E. That and "Driven"! It's definately not a staple live : (Limelight, Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, Freewill, YYZ, 2112 Overture/Temples) etc. But it is an essential Rush song specially on T4E. It was their single for the album and strong enough to open the 2nd Set of the Tour. You might not like the song or even want to hear it live ever again, but it is an essential RUSH song.

yes.gif

Sorry, but I disagree. It being the single doesn't mean it is essential. Stick It Out was the first single from CP and has been played on three tours...is that essential, too?

I would argue that not every album has to have an essential Rush tune, and Rush really only has a handful of essential songs from 1989-2009 (and this is coming from someone who is a HUGE fan of Counterparts). Me or you loving a song and it being essential are two completely different things.

I went with no, but I wouldn't mind it I guess. The music is killer, but it's hard to listen to those lyrics.

"Here we go, in slow-mo"

wacko.gif

QUOTE (Echoes @ Aug 14 2012, 01:10 AM)
I went with no, but I wouldn't mind it I guess. The music is killer, but it's hard to listen to those lyrics.

"Here we go, in slow-mo"

wacko.gif

I came here to say the exact same thing. I just can't see old Geddy singing about tough talking hood boys and gangster nation eh.gif

How long have some of you been Rush fans? Not long from the looks of it. Go look up every set list since Moving Pictures was released and I am willing to bet they have never played less than at least 3 songs off MP since it's release. It is after all their biggest record.

Rush has never been a band that caters to people that are obsessed with seeing them multiple times per tour,and i honestly do not know why you would want to since they play the same set every night of the tour sometimes swapping out one song or so as they did on the snakes and arrows tour.

Rush plays their show from the standpoint of each audience in each city being new each night and each audience experiencing that show for the first time. Belive it or not there are people who just want to hear tom sawyer,limelight and yyz and consider the rest to be side dressing for the hits.

Now to those of us that are hardcore fans that sounds stupid but after going to rush shows for going on 3 decades I can tell you they exist.

If Rush ever played a show without these songs they would have a riot on their hands,so those who can't get over that need to just except the fact that are certain songs they will NEVER play and other songs they will play forever no matter how much bitching the obsessed fans are.

Seriously,"I saw time machine 5 times and heard Mp in it's entirety 5 times " wah wah wah wah wah

At every show Rush plays there are gonna be people there who have never seen them live EVER

and that's why they have maintained a following for so long,because on any given night,if you have never seen Rush,you are gonna get the show of your life that will keep you coming back,and all of us have experienced that,it's why we keep coming back.

They are not gonna rob anyone of that experience just because some fans who are lucky enough to see a bunch of shows don't wanna hear Mp songs anymore than they are gonna listen to some record label that tells them what to do so keep dreaming.

QUOTE (dayglow76 @ Aug 15 2012, 07:08 AM)
How long have some of you been Rush fans? Not long from the looks of it. Go look up every set list since Moving Pictures was released and I am willing to bet they have never played less than at least 3 songs off MP since it's release. It is after all their biggest record.

Rush has never been a band that caters to people that are obsessed with seeing them multiple times per tour,and i honestly do not know why you would want to since they play the same set every night of the tour sometimes swapping out one song or so as they did on the snakes and arrows tour.

Rush plays their show from the standpoint of each audience in each city being new each night and each audience experiencing that show for the first time. Belive it or not there are people who just want to hear tom sawyer,limelight and yyz and consider the rest to be side dressing for the hits.

Now to those of us that are hardcore fans that sounds stupid but after going to rush shows for going on 3 decades I can tell you they exist.

If Rush ever played a show without these songs they would have a riot on their hands,so those who can't get over that need to just except the fact that are certain songs they will NEVER play and other songs they will play forever no matter how much bitching the obsessed fans are.

Seriously,"I saw time machine 5 times and heard Mp in it's entirety 5 times " wah wah wah wah wah

At every show Rush plays there are gonna be people there who have never seen them live EVER
and that's why they have maintained a following for so long,because on any given night,if you have never seen Rush,you are gonna get the show of your life that will keep you coming back,and all of us have experienced that,it's why we keep coming back.

They are not gonna rob anyone of that experience just because some fans who are lucky enough to see a bunch of shows don't wanna hear Mp songs anymore than they are gonna listen to some record label that tells them what to do so keep dreaming.

To start off, your opinion will matter when you can actually use proper grammar, in a sense. I understand your quick typing through your frustration...but "except" instead of "accept"? laugh.gif

Secondly, you contradicted yourself in that comment saying "They don't cater to people who see them multiple times." and "They play MP songs or there will be a riot if they don't."

Last, they played the whole MP album last tour because people kept asking them to play MORE MP. It's been stated in many interviews, so yes, they do cater to people. It's what a good band does for their fans.

That's probably why 2112, Spirit of the Radio, and Freewill keep popping up. Hardcore and newbies alike love hearing those songs live.

I give it a 60% chance they bring it back. I liked it live. Sure, the lyrics are a bit dated, but not horribly so. They are still relevant in many ways. It's overdue for a return to the set. If you think about it, this is really the 1st tour since they came back that doesn't have a specific theme that eats up a chunk of the set, and I think that's why this song and a couple others have been bumped off these tours.

QUOTE (LocalsBandGuy @ Aug 15 2012, 09:05 AM)
I give it a 60% chance they bring it back.  I liked it live.  Sure, the lyrics are a bit dated, but not horribly so.  They are still relevant in many ways.  It's overdue for a return to the set.  If you think about it, this is really the 1st tour since they came back that doesn't have a specific theme that eats up a chunk of the set, and I think that's why this song and a couple others have been bumped off these tours.

This tour doesn't have a theme? Other than MP live , this tour has the biggest theme ever. Bigger than 2112, and MP. Heard of Clockwork Angels? Hello, McFly?

smash.gif

Clockwork Angels might take up most of one set if not all of it. Expect a minimum of 10 songs if not 12 from CA. Regardless, there still room for some older forgotten stuff like T4E and JL. A 60% chance sounds good to me, sir!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (ShlappinDahBass @ Aug 15 2012, 09:46 AM)

To start off, your opinion will matter when you can actually use proper grammar, in a sense. I understand your quick typing through your frustration...but "except" instead of "accept"? laugh.gif

Secondly, you contradicted yourself in that comment saying "They don't cater to people who see them multiple times." and "They play MP songs or there will be a riot if they don't."

Last, they played the whole MP album last tour because people kept asking them to play MORE MP. It's been stated in many interviews, so yes, they do cater to people. It's what a good band does for their fans.

That's probably why 2112, Spirit of the Radio, and Freewill keep popping up. Hardcore and newbies alike love hearing those songs live.

To start off, dayglow76's opinion DOES matter, despite a few minor grammatical errors -- minor enough that you bringing them up makes you look worse than him.

Secondly, I don't understand why those two sentences contradict each other. They seem pretty innocuous to me. But maybe I'm missing something. Perhaps you could explain it for me?

Lastly, they played MP in its entirety not only because it's their most popular album, but also because 2011 marked the 30th anniversary of that album, and 2010/2011 was a good time to center a tour around it. The two new (at the time) CA songs weren't enough to base a tour on, but MP in its entirety sure was.

And speaking of errors, it's "The Spirit of Radio," not "Spirit of the Radio" as you put it. But don't worry, your opinion still counts. wink.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 16 2012, 04:55 AM)

To start off, dayglow76's opinion DOES matter, despite a few minor grammatical errors -- minor enough that you bringing them up makes you look worse than him.

Secondly, I don't understand why those two sentences contradict each other. They seem pretty innocuous to me. But maybe I'm missing something. Perhaps you could explain it for me?

Lastly, they played MP in its entirety not only because it's their most popular album, but also because 2011 marked the 30th anniversary of that album, and 2010/2011 was a good time to center a tour around it. The two new (at the time) CA songs weren't enough to base a tour on, but MP in its entirety sure was.

And speaking of errors, it's "The Spirit of Radio," not "Spirit of the Radio" as you put it. But don't worry, your opinion still counts. wink.gif

goodpost.gif

You're a gentleman and a scholar!

trink39.gif

From your head down to your collar!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 16 2012, 04:55 AM)

Haha. Darn, foiled again. Didn't mean to sound so harsh.

Any who, the way he was contradicting was by saying that "They don't cater to multi-goer fans." But yet, they kind of did by playing MP in full because more songs from that album were in high demand. It's true it was the anniversary, but they also said it was because of the high demand from fans.

But now, I have officially changed the title to "Spirit of the Radio".

T4E is that album's opening track and completely made the one of my first impressions of Rush when I got into their music. The fact that I was unaware of Rush's existence until 2010, plus the fact that Test For Echo got dropped after it's debut, makes me writhe in anguish that it may never be played live. Should it come back? Heck yes. If they brought it back with that 'Testing...Testing' intro, I would just...gah, I don't even know, I'd lose it or something!

I saw this thread. Had no thought, then it hit me.

Yes, that would be very cool.

yes.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Aug 16 2012, 08:11 PM)
I saw this thread. Had no thought, then it hit me.

Yes, that would be very cool.

yes.gif

trink39.gif

I completely agree. T4E has not received the love it deserves. Its a great song and should find its way back on to the set list.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif