Favorite big-name progressive rock band?

StellarJetman

64 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite big-name progressive rock band?

• Emerson, Lake & Palmer
    • Genesis
    • Jethro Tull
    • King Crimson
    • Pink Floyd
    • Yes

I left out lesser-known bands like Camel and Gentle Giant because I knew that I'd be missing most of them if I did. Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention aren't here because they were really their own thing and it didn't seem right to pigeonhole them into a genre like this. Deep Purple was too borderline for me to feel comfortable putting it in the same poll as Yes and Genesis. Kansas isn't an option because nobody who would vote for them deserves to vote in the first place.

I went with King Crimson because, aside from basically defining the genre, they were one of the few true "progressive" influences on it. Emerson, Lake & Palmer certainly wouldn't put out something like Larks' Tongues in Aspic.

Edited by StellarJetman

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously King Crimson is the most important, and I love their music, but my personal favorite is Yes. I love all 6 bands though.

Here's how I'd rank them:

Yes

Jethro Tull

King Crimson

Genesis

Pink Floyd

ELP

Edited by ColdFireYYZ

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Genesis

Jethro Tull

King Crimson

Pink Floyd

Yes

very hard to decide... *FOR ME* definitely not Pink Floyd or Genesis. Floyd lacks the crazy musicianship and Genesis got real poppy real fast. Ian Anderson didn't even like the label 'progressive rock' and Greg Lake claims that ELP isn't prog (I disagree with him). I enjoy Yes more than Crimson, but I like Crimson more than Yes (if that makes sense).

That being said, I went with Emerson, Lake & Palmer

(but I really voted King Crimson)

F I can't decide

You could almost add Porcupine Tree to the list and it would take many votes.

I went with Genesis though.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 9 2012, 06:56 AM)
Despite my endless bitching about the current shenanigans, I'll always go for Yes. They bossed the '70's like a dominatrix on speed.

Followed closely by PF & Genesis.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (t2s @ Aug 9 2012, 12:08 AM)
Genesis
Krimso
VdGG
Yes
Tull
Rush and Floyd aren't really prog
ELP just sucks

sarcasm.gif

Rush and Floyd are not really prog?

Whatever. Prog doesn't mean long songs odd times and fantasy/ conceptual lyrics (which Floyd and Rush have anyway). And 2.gif Are prog for combining your narrow definition of prog with classic rock, while pink Floyd does the same with psychedelia. If that is not prog, I don't know what is.

Tough decision between Yes, Genesis, and the Floyd. Genesis released seven excellent albums in a row (Trespass-Wind and Wuthering), a singular achievement. And I have been on a massive Pink Floyd kick the past two weeks. But I went with Yes, simply because they made my favorite album of all time: Close to the Edge.

Out of this list.....Floyd. I would have said Genesis. But i really don't enjoy Progressive Gabriel led Genesis. I know....shock. Even though the first few Collins led albums were semi-progressive.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Kansas . You forgot Kansas. How do you forget Kansas?

Floyd, for me, on your list. They're the only one I still consistently play. I do love Tull and the first three Yes albums, but they don't get played as often. I like ELP - (KarnEvil 9 still rocks as does the rest of Brain Salad Surgery). I've never been into Genesis or Crimson - good bands, just not my cup of tea.

trink39.gif

Well, I don't think of Pink Floyd as exclusively prog rock, but since they're on that list I HAD to vote for them, as Pink Floyd are my favorite group outside of Rush.

Otherwise it would have easily been Yes, followed by King Crimson, then Genesis, then Jethro Tull, with ELP a distant last.

KC...Yes close second. I don't consider Floyd to be in the same camp as the others...to me, they are Floyd and the category I would put them in is Floyd.