Post Your Recent Discoveries

ColdFireYYZ

New Albums this month:

Coheed And Cambria - The Afterman: Ascension

Wintersun - Time I

Great month. Both albums I have been greatly anticipating. I've literally been waiting for "Time" for six years now. Their first album was released in 2004 and took about 5 years to put together. This band is crazy in the studio, they only settle for the best quality.

I've just started listening to Hector Berlioz's music, thanks to studying the

in a class a couple weeks ago. Great early romantic composer - I'd suggest listening to the first 4 movements of the Symphonie Fantastique as well.

A friend of mine told me to check out Dntel's solo output -- the downtempo musician whom Ben Gibbard collaborated with on The Postal Service's album. I have one of his earlier albums downloaded, but haven't listened to it all the way through. The link I linked to are the first two tracks from the album my friend played for me. They have a very ambient feel to them.

Hotel Lights is an acoustic-y/folk-y band led by Ben Folds Five's drummer, Darren Jessee. A very different feel, but you can still tell the influence he had on BFF's music. Pleasant to listen to, although I have to be in the right mood to, say, listen to an entire album all at once.

I discovered an album of a performance by piano legends

playing music for two pianos, including a loose interpretation of Brahms's Haydn variations. Unfortunately, the Haydn variations are nowhere to be found on Youtube. I've linked to a video from a different concert of them playing Zawinul's tune, "Volcano for Hire" -- a shorter take of which is included on the CD.

Despite having to hear it ad f*cking nauseam on the radio at work, I still found Stevie Nicks' "Edge of Seventeen" to be a good, catchy song. I went ahead and downloaded her first solo release, "Bella Donna", and it is a great listen. I've linked to a video of her singing "After the Glitter Fades" in the studio.

Not a recent discovery for me, but since this thread is all about discovering music, perhaps it'll be a discovery for someone else. One of my favorite unheard-of bands,

. A great mix of rock, pop and jazz, and all incredibly talented musicians with a great sense of rhythm and harmony. here, you can listen to the entirety of their second full-length release for free in decent sound quality (change the video quality to 720p!), at the price of a few seconds of the band members talking over the introductions of the songs. They deserve far more credit than they've been given.

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Oct 16 2012, 10:39 PM)
Been listening to some basic Italian Prog that last few days. Wasn't big on this genre before... but I was spurred by a great Italian album on Progstreaming

smile.gif

Italian prog is a genre that I haven't really listened to that much. What I have heard was very good though. I also need to check out some more Rock in Opposition, but the political leanings of some of the bands have been kind of off-putting.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 16 2012, 10:52 PM)
Been listening to some basic Italian Prog that last few days. Wasn't big on this genre before... but I was spurred by a great Italian album on Progstreaming

smile.gif

Italian prog is a genre that I haven't really listened to that much. What I have heard was very good though. I also need to check out some more Rock in Opposition, but the political leanings of some of the bands have been kind of off-putting.

confused13.gif I'm not huge into RIO either... my extent would be Frank Zappa and a bit of Keneally laugh.gif

Have you heard the Ornithos album on Progstreaming yet? 1022.gif It's good stuff biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Oct 16 2012, 11:08 PM)

smile.gif

confused13.gif I'm not huge into RIO either... my extent would be Frank Zappa and a bit of Keneally laugh.gif

Have you heard the Ornithos album on Progstreaming yet? 1022.gif It's good stuff biggrin.gif

I haven't. There's a ton of stuff I want to listen to on Progstreaming, especially Galahad, John Galgano, Petter Carlsen, and Threshold. I'm off from school tomorrow so I think I'm going to listen to them before they're gone.

Have you heard the new Marillion and Big Big Train? They're both up and are excellent, 2 of the best albums of the year. Also, the Rhys Marsh album is very good (but very mellow and laid back).

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Oct 14 2012, 07:54 PM)
Despite having to hear it ad f*cking nauseam on the radio at work, I still found Stevie Nicks' "Edge of Seventeen" to be a good, catchy song.  I went ahead and downloaded her first solo release, "Bella Donna", and it is a great listen.  I've linked to a video of her singing "After the Glitter Fades" in the studio.

Stevie's Bella Donna is a stunning debut solo album. I was overjoyed to finally get that on used vinyl a couple of months ago, sounds amazing, not to mention the artwork!! The Wild Heart and Rock a Little are essential Nicks as well cool.gif

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 16 2012, 11:14 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Oct 16 2012, 11:08 PM)

smile.gif

I haven't. There's a ton of stuff I want to listen to on Progstreaming, especially Galahad, John Galgano, Petter Carlsen, and Threshold. I'm off from school tomorrow so I think I'm going to listen to them before they're gone.

Have you heard the new Marillion and Big Big Train? They're both up and are excellent, 2 of the best albums of the year. Also, the Rhys Marsh album is very good (but very mellow and laid back).

I will have to try those trink39.gif