Any news on the Vapor Trails remix?

StellarJetman

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Sep 28 2012, 04:20 PM)
QUOTE (NYM86 @ Sep 26 2012, 04:25 PM)
I love the way it sounds as is. Gritty and rough side to Rush, hell ya. 1022.gif

It's the exact worst kind of "gritty and rough" possible. It's like the Platonic ideal of terrible production.

Every time I put on Vapor Trails, it makes me wish that I could somehow listen to the music and wear earplugs at the same time.

Hey that's exactly how I feel! I can't listen to it with any volume at all. Only on lightly in the background.

On Grooveshark.com someone remixed the entire album pretty well. It's called Vapor Trails - Less Vapor. They did a pretty good job.
  • Like 1

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Sep 26 2012, 04:25 PM) I love the way it sounds as is. Gritty and rough side to Rush, hell ya. 1022.gif

It's the exact worst kind of "gritty and rough" possible. It's like the Platonic ideal of terrible production.

Every time I put on Vapor Trails, it makes me wish that I could somehow listen to the music and wear earplugs at the same time.

Like wanting to live and die at the same time?

I don't believe that's an accident, which is one reason I love VT so much.

Like wanting to live and die at the same time?

Not only is that completely meaningless, it misses my point entirely. The effect is purely physical and undermines the album's ability to evoke emotion. It's like trying to read magenta text in Times New Roman on an orange background from three inches away with your screen's brightness turned all the way up. Your eyes hurt and it's impossible to focus on what you're actually reading.

I don't believe that's an accident, which is one reason I love VT so much.

Tell that to the band. They've brought it up in multiple interviews. This quote from last September gives me a bit of hope, but I'm still not too optimistic:

Vapor Trails, for example, was mastered so hot, it really wrecked the album. I can't listen to that record. It's so flat and has so much distortion that we really want to remix that record. It was out of our hands when it was mastered, and the mastering engineer did a poor job. He's the first one to admit it. He really pushed it.
Edited by StellarJetman

It's worth keeping in mind that things could very well have ended with Test for Echo. Vapor Trails is far from my favorite Rush album, and to say the sound quality leaves much to be desired is an understatement, but it's the result of over a year of emotionally wrenching work, at a time when they weren't even sure they were capable of making music anymore. Perhaps it's better to appreciate Vapor Trails for what it is, rather than pine away for a remix.

Every time I listen to Vapor Trails I can't help but think "thank you Mr Peart".

I love the album. Yeah the sound isn't perfect, but I don't care. I'm just thankful Rush kept going after Neil's tragedies.

• Like 1

Even if it was remixed/remastered etc I still would only listen to a handful of songs on VT. Not their best work in terms of arrangments/composition/vocal melodies, etc. Many songs go on longer than they should and it's just too chaotic sounding. Alex went overboard with the guitar layers. Geddy went overboard with the muddy sounding bass and vocal overdubs. As for the songs, Out Of The Cradle for example is noisy trash. Freeze is pretty lame too. The only songs on it that I really like are One Little Victory, How It Is, Vapor Trail, And The Stars Look Down and the live RIR version of Secret Touch. The rest, forget it. Still, I do like the passion and energy on VT. It's definatly the most different sounding album they ever made up to that point. Edited by jnoble

One can hope for it, but I expect that it won't happen as Rush seems to be trying very hard to bury VT and R30.

What's wrong with R30?? I think that's the best live album they've put out in the past 10 years. Certainly one of the better sounding live albums, IMHO anyways

Vapor Trails sux cuz its not ballsy enough. Needs more ballz. I want it to be clipped at least 97.9% of the time, to really bring out that gritty, raw sound.

MAKE IT LOUD!

MAKE IT BALLSY!

IT'S HEAVY!

IT'S EDGY!

IT'S WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

Vapor Trails sux cuz its not ballsy enough. Needs more ballz. I want it to be clipped at least 97.9% of the time, to really bring out that gritty, raw sound.

MAKE IT LOUD!

MAKE IT BALLSY!

IT'S HEAVY!

IT'S EDGY!

IT'S WHAT PLANTS CRAVE!

I have your solution...................

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rKWp9Vp7Aag/SeGuPM8RfwI/AAAAAAAAAM0/IgZL4CyDPls/s320/21spike_jeremy_ron,0.jpg

• Like 1

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 9 2012, 05:42 PM) QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 9 2012, 06:26 PM) In an ideal world where everyone thinks like me, they wouldn't do this project ever because "it's an embarrassing moment in their recording history that's best left forgotten by everyone."

More realistically, they won't ever do it because there's absolutely no money to be made on it. They'd probably sell well less than 10,000 copies to only die-hard fans and they'd lose money on the project. Rush doesn't seem too interested in losing money on anything these days.

This is the best they could hope for:

http://rlv.zcache.com/polish_a_turd_postcard-p239900226315722357z85wg_400.jpg

YOU ARE STILL WRONG.

My guess is that Rush are happier with good songs with bad production (Vapor Trails) than bad songs with good production (Counterparts).

Oh come on now, Counterparts isn't bad at all.

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 9 2012, 05:42 PM) QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 9 2012, 06:26 PM) In an ideal world where everyone thinks like me, they wouldn't do this project ever because "it's an embarrassing moment in their recording history that's best left forgotten by everyone."

More realistically, they won't ever do it because there's absolutely no money to be made on it. They'd probably sell well less than 10,000 copies to only die-hard fans and they'd lose money on the project. Rush doesn't seem too interested in losing money on anything these days.

YOU ARE STILL WRONG.

My guess is that Rush are happier with good songs with bad production (Vapor Trails) than bad songs with good production (Counterparts).

Counterparts is great. :yes: :ebert:

• Like 1

YOU ARE STILL WRONG.

Ditto-Counterparts rocks, that is all.

YOU ARE STILL WRONG.

Good production, good sound, mediocre songs and mediocre-to-cringe-worthy lyrics.

YOU ARE STILL WRONG.

Good production, good sound, mediocre songs and mediocre-to-cringe-worthy lyrics.

:yes: :yes: :no: & :no:

YOU ARE STILL WRONG.

I agree! "Cringeworthy" is the exact word for most of the lyrics on Counterparts. That's a big problem with the record because you have to have MUCH stronger songs to get away with such weak lyrics. Good music overcomes weak lyrics a lot faster than good lyrics overcome weak music. Unfortunately, most of the music on Counterparts is solidly middling in Rush terms, and many of the lyrics are among their most pretentious and strained.

• Like 1

People love VT, but put down Counterparts? :huh:

http://www.kylerutkin.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/crazypills.jpg

Yeah, well, sometimes you need to be reminded that other people's opinions are just as valid as yours! :nya nya: ;)

Yeah, well, sometimes you need to be reminded that other people's opinions are just as valid as yours! :nya nya: ;)

I hear what you're saying, but it doesn't make Counterparts any less great or make VT suck any less. :P

I hear what you're saying, but it doesn't make Counterparts great or make VT less. :P

Fixed that for you ;) :LOL:

I hear what you're saying, but it doesn't make Counterparts any less great or make VT suck any less. :P

Fixed that for you ;) :LOL:

You can change the words, but not the truth! :P