Any news on the Vapor Trails remix?

StellarJetman

QUOTE (StellarJetman @ Aug 8 2012, 04:31 PM)
It's been ages and it still hasn't come out. Google hasn't turned up anything either.

It is happening, isn't it?

Last I heard they had planned to do it this spring and then it got back-burnered as CA obligations went on longer than planned. Most recently, Alex said something along the lines of, well, it doesn't really need it anyway.

In May, Geddy said:

"That was an idea (remixing Vapor Trails) but it's now been shifted down. Rather than remix the entire album we might now take a bunch of different songs from albums and get different people to remix them for fun, rather than just do Vapor Trails. It's an idea in flux."

I think this ship has sailed

From RS interview iwth Alex, in June:

I've heard word that Vapor Trails might get remixed at some point. Is that true?

Oh, yeah, that's always something that we're doing. We've already remixed a few songs. The idea was to do it as a tagalong with this record, maybe. That was one of the options that we talked about. But the schedule just keeps getting in the way of something like that. Because it's not really a priority. We'd like to do it, I think, for all the right reasons. We're not happy with the mastering. We felt that the production could've been a bit better, and we'd like to have another crack at it. But the longer we get away from it, the less appealing the idea is. Maybe it's best to leave it as it is.

There's something that's very compelling about that record. It's the least-produced record that we've ever done. But in a way that's the right thing, for the moment. It was a very, very difficult time, and that record should sound and feel very different from anything else that we've done.

It'd be interesting to hear what a remixed Vapor Trails sounds like, but for me, only as a point of interest, not as a 'solution' to a sonic problem. I like VT the way it is, and all fan-made remixes I've heard (well, all several of them!) sound lacking to me, and I prefer the original. Love it every time a VT song randomly pops up on my music player - I seriously get little shivers (except if 'One Little Victory' comes on, for some reason).

But Geddy's comment about remixing different albums... that's interesting! I like exploring new versions of Rush songs. I'm sure the boys are busy with CA stuff and the tour and all that, but who knows... there might be time when they retire (when? if?) to fiddle around with this kind of thing and maybe pull out demos or something...! popcorn.gif

In an ideal world where everyone thinks like me, they wouldn't do this project ever because "it's an embarrassing moment in their recording history that's best left forgotten by everyone."

More realistically, they won't ever do it because there's absolutely no money to be made on it. They'd probably sell well less than 10,000 copies to only die-hard fans and they'd lose money on the project. Rush doesn't seem too interested in losing money on anything these days.

This is the best they could hope for:

http://rlv.zcache.com/polish_a_turd_postcard-p239900226315722357z85wg_400.jpg

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 9 2012, 06:26 PM)
In an ideal world where everyone thinks like me, they wouldn't do this project ever because "it's an embarrassing moment in their recording history that's best left forgotten by everyone."

More realistically, they won't ever do it because there's absolutely no money to be made on it. They'd probably sell well less than 10,000 copies to only die-hard fans and they'd lose money on the project. Rush doesn't seem too interested in losing money on anything these days.

YOU ARE STILL WRONG.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 9 2012, 05:26 PM)

Out of curiosity, goober: your sentence in quotations, is that from an interview or something, or is that your own statement? Whoever made that statement, it's pretty harsh! unsure.gif

Man, I'll never try to force VT on anyone that isn't open to it, but my opinion is that these people miss out on it. Well, I guess one doesn't miss out on something that one doesn't want, but... the album is just so good, to me. I can't wait to pick up my first bass and try to learn to play along with 'Secret Touch'! GeddyFinal.gif

QUOTE (Mika @ Aug 9 2012, 05:53 PM)

Out of curiosity, goober: your sentence in quotations, is that from an interview or something, or is that your own statement? Whoever made that statement, it's pretty harsh! unsure.gif

Man, I'll never try to force VT on anyone that isn't open to it, but my opinion is that these people miss out on it. Well, I guess one doesn't miss out on something that one doesn't want, but... the album is just so good, to me. I can't wait to pick up my first bass and try to learn to play along with 'Secret Touch'! GeddyFinal.gif

laugh.gif

no, i just added the quotes in there for dramatic effect. tongue.gif

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Aug 9 2012, 05:42 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 9 2012, 06:26 PM)

More realistically, they won't ever do it because there's absolutely no money to be made on it.  They'd probably sell well less than 10,000 copies to only die-hard fans and they'd lose money on the project.  Rush doesn't seem too interested in losing money on anything these days.

YOU ARE STILL WRONG.

My guess is that Rush are happier with good songs with bad production (Vapor Trails) than bad songs with good production (Counterparts).

QUOTE (LedRush @ Aug 8 2012, 05:28 PM)
From RS interview iwth Alex, in June:

I've heard word that Vapor Trails might get remixed at some point. Is that true?

Oh, yeah, that's always something that we're doing. We've already remixed a few songs. The idea was to do it as a tagalong with this record, maybe. That was one of the options that we talked about. But the schedule just keeps getting in the way of something like that. Because it's not really a priority. We'd like to do it, I think, for all the right reasons. We're not happy with the mastering. We felt that the production could've been a bit better, and we'd like to have another crack at it. But the longer we get away from it, the less appealing the idea is. Maybe it's best to leave it as it is.

There's something that's very compelling about that record. It's the least-produced record that we've ever done. But in a way that's the right thing, for the moment. It was a very, very difficult time, and that record should sound and feel very different from anything else that we've done.

Uh, that's all fine and dandy Alex, I mean I can respect the sentiment you have for that album and all, but the album should still be, like, listenable without blowing our eardrums out. I don't think causing Rush fans to do deaf was the sentiment you were going for...?

But I will agree with you on one point: It absolutely DOES sound very different than any album you've ever done

Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone
  • Like 1

A remix would have been nice, but it adds to the whole time frame of the album. It's a part of their legacy.

It's already a great album. To get their hands on it again there is temptation to put today's ear onto the past. That never ends well.

Remember Jar-Jar Binx?? *shudder*

Edited by Amalgamation
  • Like 1

This is probably close to the truth.

And re: fan remixes. I did my own... many years ago I ripped the album to wav format and ran everything through a couple DAW plugins to reduce the clipping noise and such. The trouble is, though you can reduce the nasty crunchies, you can't really un-compress something as thick as the final product of what's on the VT disk: VT is pretty much the textbook example of brickwalled. You can try to rebuild the peaks of what's left of the waveform, but so much audio information in the higher frequencies was just plain destroyed by the utterly craptastic mastering job. Sigh, if only I had access to the multitrack project like Rich did... lol.

Anyway, the end result was something a little more listenable, though it lost a bit of luster and definition in the high end. But that was kind of the price to pay; to cut out the malignancy, you have to sacrifice some healthy tissue as well.

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Sep 26 2012, 04:25 PM)
I love the way it sounds as is. Gritty and rough side to Rush, hell ya. 1022.gif

It's the exact worst kind of "gritty and rough" possible. It's like the Platonic ideal of terrible production.

Every time I put on Vapor Trails, it makes me wish that I could somehow listen to the music and wear earplugs at the same time.

Edited by StellarJetman