Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band

Akron162

@19:00, the genesis of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, including the child's painting that inspired it.

George Martin describing the opening keyboard phrase @ 20:45 is great.

Great album. I get it's historical significance. Personally, I feel Dark Side of the Moon is the first " modern" sounding album. It still feels fresh today, whereas Sgt. Peppers is very much from 1967.
  • Like 1

Great album. I get it's historical significance. Personally, I feel Dark Side of the Moon is the first " modern" sounding album. It still feels fresh today, whereas Sgt. Peppers is very much from 1967.

Agreed. Sgt. Pepper is more about the story of its making and impact than the actual songs.

I respect Sgt. Pepper, and love at least four, maybe five of its tracks. But it doesn't please me the way Rubber Soul, Help! Or The White Album do every time I spin them.

I will not say overrated, as it is just a matter of taste. A Day In The Life is a fantastic song though.

• Like 1

And Pet Sounds is still ten thousand times better. I absolutely love Pet Sounds.
  • Like 1

And Pet Sounds is still ten thousand times better. I absolutely love Pet Sounds.

Sgt. Pepper parallels Pet Sounds in so many ways, including the pre-album release of an epic single that was not included on the album in the end.

Anyway .

Sgt .Pepper .

The reason I`m here right now typing this post is because of Sgt. Pepper .

I listened to music from the wee age of 5 years old ( 1967 strangely enough ) picking up 45`s for the entertainment of my family and friends and putting on classics like Hello Dolly , Juliet and many more sounds from the 60`s

Fast forward to 1973 and I bought Band On The Run .by Paul McCartney and Wings .

Loved it .

Then I found and bought Sgt . Pepper on which my new Pop hero was on .

I stuck it on sat back

That was the day my life changed .

Talk about Alice in Wonderland it just blew me away from the start of the orchestra tuning up till the last orgasmic long strains of the crashing Pianos

Pure magical music form a band at the top of there game the album that had it all

Rock , Psychedelic , Indian , Soap opera , the Tune in of a Day In The Life ( a beginning of Prog ?)

This set the path for the rest of my life

It is and as long as I live the greatest album that I was very lucky to stumble upon .

For all albums I have heard there are many great ones .

Sgt. Pepper was then and now the reason why I listened to albums , that maybe one day I may come across that Buzz and divine moment that I had all those years ago .

But I know that will never happen .

• Like 1

I just remembered that A Day In The Life was banned from being played on the radio for a time when the album came out.

I clearly remember taking the album jacket to my brother-in-law and asking him to read they lyrics and tell me why the song was banned. I think I was about 12 or 13?

Edited by Lorraine

I like it Don't love it. might be more of a you had to be there thing. It has a day in the Life which is my fav Beatles song. and it certainly is better them Pet sounds by leaps and bounds. My god is that record a snooze fest.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I have never heard an entire Beatles album or owned one. I have obviously heard their music over and over again....
  • Like 1

I think sgt pepper has aged well, considering its immense popularity still

But for me, it just isn't consistent enough to satisfy me. But its all taste, not an issue with the era.

And a day in the life is just beyond perfection. Alongside helter skelter and good night, it is one of those atypical beatles songs that simply stop people in their tracks and go "dude, this band wrote Yellow Submarine? What the hell is this???"

I have never heard an entire Beatles album or owned one. I have obviously heard their music over and over again....

I can honestly say, they do not strike me as your thing. But the white album would be my recommendation to you, as it has some genuine heaviness and lyrical daftness that i find endlessly addictive, and beautiful.

Like Tusk, I love every single song.

• Like 1

I can honestly say, they do not strike me as your thing. But the white album would be my recommendation to you, as it has some genuine heaviness and lyrical daftness that i find endlessly addictive, and beautiful.

A funny thing that you mentioned Tusk. I have the album but have never heard it. I think it must of been my wifes many moons ago and I inherited it. I put it on yesterday and got almost through the first 2 songs at picked up the needle and put it away :eh: . I put on Rumours instead....

It's hard for me to be objective about The Beatles because I grew up with them. Even when I hear one of their songs today, I don't listen to it and think: "Wow! Great song!" but more like "Oh, a Beatles song." I think it was Ringo that prompted me one day to ask why they needed a drummer because he seemed to do nothing. :laughing yellow guy: :laughing yellow guy: :laughing yellow guy:
  • Like 1

A funny thing that you mentioned Tusk. I have the album but have never heard it. I think it must of been my wifes many moons ago and I inherited it. I put it on yesterday and got almost through the first 2 songs at picked up the needle and put it away :eh: . I put on Rumours instead....

Skip to Stevies songs. Her best work is on Tusk. Your enjoyment of Tusk largely depends on your view of Buckingham's experimentation.

It's hard for me to be objective about The Beatles because I grew up with them. Even when I hear one of their songs today, I don't listen to it and think: "Wow! Great song!" but more like "Oh, a Beatles song." I think it was Ringo that prompted me one day to ask why they needed a drummer because he seemed to do nothing. :laughing yellow guy: :laughing yellow guy: :laughing yellow guy:

I too grew up with them. A lot of their songs bookmark a time in my life.

• Like 2