Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band

Akron162

Since i surprised myself actually enjoying Something/Anything? of Todd Rundgren, and this is the "Best Album of All Time" (by this point Rolling Stone Magazine doesn't have any credibility), i decided to give a try to the most iconic Beatles album.

I remember listened to it like 10 years ago and don't putting to much thinking into it (i was 12 back then, try to ask a musical opinion to a kid of that age), so is more a revisiting than a discovery.

So, what was the result?... Well, i didn't hated it, and that's pretty much it. I actually liked the couple of psychedelic songs that the album has, but the rest i found it bland and boring, confirming my aversion to simple music. Not that that's entirely bad, if you can make good music (and a fortune in the process) keeping things simple, good for you, i guess that requires some ability as well.

But by no means this albums deserves it's status as the "Best Album Ever" that some people insists in giving to it, and i truly believe that that's not a matter of opinion, because i can list 2 or 3 other Beatles albums that are actually better (not that i listened to them more than once though).

Probably nobody is gonna read this, but i just wanted to make my point.

Edited by Akron162

I don't personally consider Sgt. Pepper's the greatest album of all time, or even the greatest Beatles album. But I can understand why many critics identify it as such. To fully appreciate it one should consider its historical context and subsequent influence.

It's a wonderful album. Yes, it's a bit dated, but the highlights are as good as it gets. And, no, it's not my favorite Beatles album.

Also, there seem to be cracks forming in Akron162's music veneer!

Remember, there is only good music and bad music, regardless of complexity or genre.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Aug 6 2012, 11:41 AM)
I don't personally consider Sgt. Pepper's the greatest album of all time, or even the greatest Beatles album. But I can understand why many critics identify it as such. To fully appreciate it one should consider its historical context and subsequent influence.

goodpost.gif

This is really the point. You can't compare SPLHCB to albums by rock bands that have been released within even the last 20 years. You have to compare it to every other rock album that had been released before June 1967. It was more innovative than anything that came before it by miles.

Not the greatest album of all time, but certainly the most important. It changed music forever. It's a hugely significantly album musically, thematically, lyrically, technologically, graphically, etc.

It's definitely my favorite Beatles album, and it's definitely a top-20 of all time album, maybe top-15, and maybe even better than that.

*goes off to check where I placed it in my top 100 albums of all time list*

#11 - yep, I was right! tongue.gif

#11 all time is personal preference, but in terms of most significant album ever, it's #1

I still think Rubber Soul is so much better. You can literally hear them transition from pop to experimental on this one album. You get Drive My Car and Norwegian Wood on the same album. Plus you get a glimpse of Paul's genius with Michelle and John's with In My Life. This is their peak to me.

Sgt. Pepper suffers from the same larger-than-life classification that Jimi Hendrix suffered.

Once a musician or album is placed on a god-like level, it is very hard to bring it down. Why call Sgt. Pepper the Greatest Ever? Well......because!! It's Sgt. Pepper!! It's literally a religious icon; one does not dare question its divinity. Hendrix receives the same treatment. We'll have to wait a while longer for the "Gods" to be brought down to Earth.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Aug 6 2012, 04:03 PM)
Sgt. Pepper suffers from the same larger-than-life classification that Jimi Hendrix suffered.

Once a musician or album is placed on a god-like level, it is very hard to bring it down. Why call Sgt. Pepper the Greatest Ever? Well......because!! It's Sgt. Pepper!! It's literally a religious icon; one does not dare question its divinity. Hendrix receives the same treatment. We'll have to wait a while longer for the "Gods" to be brought down to Earth.

Sometimes albums and groups and people truly deserve their God-like status. Like Sgt. Peppers'... and Jimi Hendrix! yes.gif notworthy.gif

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Aug 6 2012, 03:48 PM)

goodpost.gif

This is really the point. You can't compare SPLHCB to albums by rock bands that have been released within even the last 20 years. You have to compare it to every other rock album that had been released before June 1967. It was more innovative than anything that came before it by miles.

And it's because of this that any polls regarding the "Greatest Album Ever" are meaningless. It is folly to rate one album higher than another album from 20 or 40 years ago.....and vice versa.

Different eras = different musical ideas and styles, different technology, different emotions, different agendas, etc.

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Aug 6 2012, 04:14 PM)
QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Aug 6 2012, 03:48 PM)

goodpost.gif

And it's because of this that any polls regarding the "Greatest Album Ever" are meaningless. It is folly to rate one album higher than another album from 20 or 40 years ago.....and vice versa.

Different eras = different musical ideas and styles, different technology, different emotions, different agendas, etc.

I still think you can compare them, but maybe that's just me. When I did my top 100 albums of all time list, I did the top 100 of all the albums I know from every era. Of course for me personally that consisted primarily of 60's and 70's stuff, but later albums made the list too... if they were worthy!

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band helped set the standard of what makes a great rock album. In the cultural circles of its time it set off a shock wave that still reverberates today. Yes, later eras had great albums comparable to Sgt. Pepper's, but Sgt Pepper's was one of the first. And you can't change that.

I read a book a year or so ago called "How The Beatles Destroyed Rock and Roll" ohmy.gif I was surprised by its conclusion and I think there is some merit to its asssertion. It was lesson in popular music history pre- and post- Beatlemania.

As an enormous fan of The Beatles, I found the premise (the title) to be quite intriguing. Sgt. Pepper may or may not be the greatest album of all time (not my personal favorite by the Fab Four), but it's result was certainly profound.

Popular music has never been the same since The Beatles.

Sgt. Pepper's - a beautiful album, a masterpiece. Before Sgt. Pepper's, one would have never dreamed of comparing popular music to high art (i.e. a masterpiece).

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band changed everything.

I feel it's possibly the best album ever, and as a recording engineer it's certainly the record that all others are judged by. It changed the whole scope of music.

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Aug 6 2012, 08:07 PM)
I read a book a year or so ago called "How The Beatles Destroyed Rock and Roll" ohmy.gif I was surprised by its conclusion and I think there is some merit to its asssertion. It was lesson in popular music history pre- and post- Beatlemania.

As an enormous fan of The Beatles, I found the premise (the title) to be quite intriguing. Sgt. Pepper may or may not be the greatest album of all time (not my personal favorite by the Fab Four), but it's result was certainly profound.

Sgt. Pepper's - a beautiful album, a masterpiece. Before Sgt. Pepper's, one would have never dreamed of comparing popular music to high art (i.e. a masterpiece).

What was the book about?

QUOTE (Akron162 @ Aug 6 2012, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Aug 6 2012, 08:07 PM)
I read a book a year or so ago called "How The Beatles Destroyed Rock and Roll" ohmy.gif  I was surprised by its conclusion and I think there is some merit to its asssertion.  It was lesson in popular music history pre- and post- Beatlemania.

As an enormous fan of The Beatles, I found the premise (the title) to be quite intriguing.  Sgt. Pepper may or may not be the greatest album of all time (not my personal favorite by the Fab Four), but it's result was certainly profound.

Sgt. Pepper's  - a beautiful album, a masterpiece.  Before Sgt. Pepper's, one would have never dreamed of comparing popular music to high art (i.e. a masterpiece).

What was the book about?

How The Beatles destroyed Rock and Roll.

I love Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, even though I'm a bit bewildered by the last track - it's not the actual last track per se, rather the really weird reverse lyric that appears after several seconds silence.

There's been a few theories about what they're saying, including one somewhat rude reference...

Around 7:45, a great original version of Strawberry Fields.

Never on the album, but the first song from the album recording sessions.

Edited by goose