Wilco

default236

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 3 2012, 03:37 PM)
They're pretty good. I have Wilco (The Album) and The Whole Love. I've listened to them both a couple of times and enjoyed them.

Same here. trink39.gif

Wilco is playing in town in September and I look forward to seeing them, can't wait! common001.gif

Not too many people care for them? Everyone I know loves Wilco. I'm a pretty big fan. But I may be in the minority in thinking the latest album is incredibly weak. It bores me to tears.

Favorites are Being There and Sky Blue Sky. I suppose I'm in the minority there too... cool.gif

QUOTE (default236 @ Aug 3 2012, 06:34 PM)
They're pretty good. I have Wilco (The Album) and The Whole Love. I've listened to them both a couple of times and enjoyed them.

Same here. trink39.gif

Wilco is playing in town in September and I look forward to seeing them, can't wait! common001.gif

I know a couple of people who have seen them and they said they were excellent live.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Aug 3 2012, 05:21 PM)

Same here. trink39.gif

I know a couple of people who have seen them and they said they were excellent live.

Yeah, I can't wait! Their playing at a nice outdoor opera house on September 18. 653.gif

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Aug 3 2012, 05:07 PM)
Not too many people care for them? Everyone I know loves Wilco. I'm a pretty big fan. But I may be in the minority in thinking the latest album is incredibly weak. It bores me to tears.

Favorites are Being There and Sky Blue Sky. I suppose I'm in the minority there too... cool.gif

There are hardly any Wilco fans in New Mexico, but I can't stop listening to them right now! Every hour it's a new favorite song by them. smile.gif

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Aug 3 2012, 11:07 PM)

Being There is fantastic.

Anyone like Uncle Tupelo?

QUOTE (default236 @ Aug 3 2012, 10:40 PM)

Same here. trink39.gif

Yeah, I can't wait! Their playing at a nice outdoor opera house on September 18. 653.gif

They are incredible live--one of the best live acts out there today. I actually prefer them in that capacity. Some of their material that I find a little flat on record really wakes up in a live setting. Great musicians.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 4 2012, 01:36 AM)

Wilco 'was' Uncle Tupelo. I grew up in St. Louis and saw the original band many times.

To answer the thread question, Yes I like Wilco.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Aug 4 2012, 09:04 AM)

Same here. trink39.gif

They are incredible live--one of the best live acts out there today. I actually prefer them in that capacity. Some of their material that I find a little flat on record really wakes up in a live setting. Great musicians.

All Rush aside, Nels Cline and Jeff Tweedy have to be my favorite guitarists. Their playing style, song composure, and overall tone is unmatched. I absolutely adore Tweedy's new signature Gibson SG. cool.gif

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Aug 4 2012, 04:31 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Aug 4 2012, 01:36 AM)

Wilco 'was' Uncle Tupelo. I grew up in St. Louis and saw the original band many times.

To answer the thread question, Yes I like Wilco.

Yes. I was aware of that. But, the uninitiated will line up and thank you in their droves. smile.gif trink39.gif 1287.gif

But, you saw them live!!!! Many times???? Awesome. So jealous. I'm not sure did UT travel to Ireland, but I played the shit out of No Depression & Anodyne.

Chickamauga is my pick-me-up song.

God, I'm green with envy. We give you The Cranberries, you give us Uncle Tupelo/Wilco. Sorry about that.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

QUOTE (default236 @ Aug 4 2012, 11:38 AM)

Same here. trink39.gif

All Rush aside, Nels Cline and Jeff Tweedy have to be my favorite guitarists. Their playing style, song composure, and overall tone is unmatched. I absolutely adore Tweedy's new signature Gibson SG. cool.gif

Tweedy has incredible tone. I actually prefer him to Cline, crazy as that sounds. Tweedy just has a dirty, rougher-around-the-edges, Crazy Horse-esque style and tone that I adore. Gets a great fuzz tone out of his SG, not unlike Gary Louris in that respect.

QUOTE (Powderfinger @ Aug 4 2012, 11:29 AM)
QUOTE (default236 @ Aug 4 2012, 11:38 AM)

Same here. trink39.gif

Tweedy has incredible tone. I actually prefer him to Cline, crazy as that sounds. Tweedy just has a dirty, rougher-around-the-edges, Crazy Horse-esque style and tone that I adore. Gets a great fuzz tone out of his SG, not unlike Gary Louris in that respect.

I showed Wilco to my friend and he thought Tweedy sounded like John Lennon. Good point about Tweedy. I like how he's more geared towards his acoustics and Nels with his Jazzmasters. trink39.gif But, that's not to put Pat to shame. He has a whole sound of his own. smile.gif

Edited by default236

Of course we are here. Much like Rush, they seem to just enjoy making the music that they love and do a damn good job of it.

Here is some listening while you check out the forums. heart.gif

Wilco Live

"I'm the Man Who Loves You" (from "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot")

"Airline to Heaven" (from "Mermaid Avenue Vol. II")

"It's Just That Simple" (from "A.M.")

"At Least That's What You Said" (from "A Ghost is Born")

"I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" (from "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot")

"Theologians" (from "A Ghost is Born")

"Hate It Here" (from "Sky Blue Sky")

QUOTE (burgeranacoke @ Aug 4 2012, 12:03 PM)
Of course we are here. Much like Rush, they seem to just enjoy making the music that they love and do a damn good job of it.

Here is some listening while you check out the forums. heart.gif
Wilco Live

"I'm the Man Who Loves You" (from "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot")
"Airline to Heaven" (from "Mermaid Avenue Vol. II")
"It's Just That Simple" (from "A.M.")
"At Least That's What You Said" (from "A Ghost is Born")
"I Am Trying to Break Your Heart" (from "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot")
"Theologians" (from "A Ghost is Born")
"Hate It Here" (from "Sky Blue Sky")

Theologians is an amazing song!

Good band; great live band! A lot of bands could take cues from them on volume and clarity when it comes to live shows (Radiohead is another that slays in that area).

Favorite albums are easily Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Being There is quite good as well, but a bit too padded; woulda been better as a single disc. Most of the others are a bit spotty, but all have good stuff on there, with the exception of Wilco (The Album) which is pretty forgettable from start to finish.

Edited by The K Man

QUOTE (The K Man @ Aug 4 2012, 02:29 PM)
Good band; great live band! A lot of bands could take cues from them on volume and clarity when it comes to live shows (Radiohead is another that slays in that area).

Favorite albums are easily Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Being There is quite good as well, but a bit too padded; woulda been better as a single disc. Most of the others are a bit spotty, but all have good stuff on there, with the exception of Wilco (The Album) which is pretty forgettable from start to finish.

trink39.gif My favorite albums by them now have to be YHF and The Whole Love. Great albums from start to finish. cool.gif

Just for the hell of it, I wrote to Nels Cline, lead guitarist for Wilco, and to my utter shock and disbelief, I actually got a very personal response! I like bands whose members don't let fame go to their heads and actually care about their fans. He seemed like a real humble guy, and I have all the respect in the world for him! :D I had to share this experience, it was just too amazing!
  • Like 1