The Grammy's: What song will win?

Tombstone Mountain

What song will be nominated for a Grammy?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. What song will be nominated for a Grammy?

• Caravan
    • BU2B
    • Clockwork Angels
    • The Anarchist
    • Carnies
    • Halo Effect
    • Seven Cities of Gold
    • The Wreckers
    • Headlong Flight
    • BU2B2
    • Wish Them Well
    • The Garden
    • No Way, No How, No Grammy!

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 4 2012, 10:28 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Aug 4 2012, 10:19 AM)
QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 4 2012, 09:29 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Aug 4 2012, 08:24 AM)
QUOTE (Priest of Syrinx @ Aug 3 2012, 05:31 PM)
Why would anyone want Rush to win a Grammy?

Exactly what I was thinking. It's a grammy, who gives a shit? I haven't watched any of them in almost 20 years.

What a great piece of hardware to go in Ray Danniels office though eh?

2.gif

I guess, but I would be happier with having copies of all the gold and platinum records Rush has got hanging on my wall instead trink39.gif

Agreed...concur...right on the money!

Can we be friends now even though you hate my stories?

You know I think both scenarios are crazy enough that it just might work

2.gif

QUOTE (greyfriar @ Aug 3 2012, 02:07 PM)
The good news first: They will be nominated!
My choice is "Wish Them Well"!!! wink.gif

Can you believe that BU2B2 got more votes than Wish Them Well...and here we thought that most people didn't even think it was a song?

What's up with that? confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 4 2012, 07:45 AM)
Of course the idea of them getting a Grammy is preposterous (well, I guess it's not too off the wall since they've been nominated several times, but only for instrumentals, of which there are none on CA).

That said, in a perfect world, the song that gets nominated and wins is The Garden. It's my personal second favorite song on the album, but this is a powerful, significant song that also serves as a great career-spanning statement. It would be a worthy song to get recognized, and it is in a clockwork universe, but alas that's not the universe we live in.

As always Goobs i enjoy your point of view, but consider this--Headlong Flight does have staying power. Here's the news release for the wreckers

Rush Select "The Wreckers" As The Next Single From Clockwork Angels

Update (07/25/2012): Check out Ultimate Classic Rock's review of The Wreckers -- Scored 9 out of 10!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rush and Roadrunner Records have announced that The Wreckers, the eighth track on Clockwork Angels will be released as the next single off of the album.

According to tweets from representatives at Roadrunner Records, the single will hit the airwaves tomorrow, July 25th.

Headlong Flight, the first (okay, third) single released from the album back in mid-April, is still charting well on the Mainstream Rock Charts. It's currently sitting at the #6 spot.

How can we explain this? and what does it mean?

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 6 2012, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (greyfriar @ Aug 3 2012, 02:07 PM)
The good news first: They will be nominated!
My choice is "Wish Them Well"!!!  wink.gif

Can you believe that BU2B2 got more votes than Wish Them Well...and here we thought that most people didn't even think it was a song?

What's up with that? confused13.gif

People can be notoriously ...er..... less than honest (?)... er.... when answering voluntary polls. Of course, I'm sure that's not happening here. I'm sure these folks really do *love* BU2B2. wink.gif

Wow, I didn't think CA was bad enough to win a Grammy - recognizing real talent is more often observed in the breach than in the observance.

At any rate, my CD player still votes CA as album of the year!

QUOTE (spock @ Aug 6 2012, 07:20 PM)
Wow, I didn't think CA was bad enough to win a Grammy - recognizing real talent is more often observed in the breach than in the observance.

goodpost.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (spock @ Aug 6 2012, 06:20 PM)

Hey spock!!! Would you mind translating your post from Vulcan to english??? just for clarity sake?

Observing it in the "breach" than in the "observance"???? HHmmmm...help me out...I'm from the mountains and I'm a little slow rofl3.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Aug 4 2012, 05:26 PM)
rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif Not a f**k*n chance

Awww c'mon now Metaldad...there's a very good-great chance. If they pick up any more hardware you bet your ass the grammy nod is coming.

Does the recent award win alter your opinion?

Think about it...it won an award already--this early. I'll admit I don't have a clue as to the magnitude of this award. There is a buzz about Clockwork Angels among critics, it was hard to find a lukewarm review.

This may be the time when everything falls into place for Rush, at least it feels like it is...Anybody has some thoughts about this?

2.gif

• Like 1

It is easy to be cynical and say none of the awards matter. As Rush fans we can say that we were here before the more mainstream success and acceptance the band has gotten lately. Geddy, Alex and Neil are for the most part gentlemen and I am sure that they will accept any awards they receive with polite grace.

I'll watch the clips later if they win because watching award shows is right below watching paint dry on my to do list. If they win then that is wonderful. I'm sure the grammy statue will look nice on a little shelf in some office.

When the big time prog rock groups finally get into the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame or (name award here) it will be a long overdue revision of music history, but at this point it means about as much as the plaque I got for graduating college with a 4.0 grade average. The thing sits on a shelf collecting dust. It never got me anything I couldn't have gotten on my own. I'm proud of the work that went into getting it, but if it went missing tomorrow I'd never miss it.

Edited by drbirdsong
  • Like 1

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Sep 6 2012, 09:37 AM)
It is easy to be cynical and say none of the awards matter. As Rush fans we can say that we were here before the more mainstream success and acceptance the band has gotten lately. Geddy, Alex and Neil are for the most part gentlemen and I am sure that they will accept any awards they receive with polite grace.

For me, it means the band is finally getting the recognition it deserves. I want them to be appreciated and respected in the eyes of the music "intelligentsia"--is that some kind of illness or what? rofl3.gif

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with wanting the band to be accepted by a wider group of people. I just think long term fans are wary. It's like when the wallflower finally gets a date with the hot chick. He keeps looking around and pinching himself wondering if it is real.

1981 nomination for Best Rock Instrumental Performance

"YYZ" � lost to The Police's "Behind My Camel"

This one still blows my mind. The genius that is YYZ losing to literally the most boring 3 minutes you'll ever sit through. It's the same droning sound repeated for 3 minutes! Once you've heard the first 5 seconds of that song, you've heard the whole thing. Just awful.

• Like 1

1981 nomination for Best Rock Instrumental Performance

"YYZ" � lost to The Police's "Behind My Camel"

This one still blows my mind. The genius that is YYZ losing to literally the most boring 3 minutes you'll ever sit through. It's the same droning sound repeated for 3 minutes! Once you've heard the first 5 seconds of that song, you've heard the whole thing. Just awful.

Here is that delightful version by The Police.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bZAErXVSQ4

Well, okay that was a downer. Though, Primus does a version too. :drool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zngVywC3814

Okay, it's kind of a boring song no matter who's playing it. :sigh:

Anyone have a better version? We may as well take the Grammy thread off on a tangent for a while. It will take a few years to come back around for their lifetime achievement award in 2022 celebrating a mere 90 years until the album's prophecy is fulfilled.

Post a YouTube to a song that's beaten Rush. We will be amazed by it's superiority.

Edited by CygnusGal

We may as well take the Grammy thread off on a tangent for a while. It will take a few years to come back around for their lifetime achievement award in 2022 celebrating a mere 90 years until the album's prophecy is fulfilled.

Post a YouTube to a song that's beaten Rush. We will be amazed by it's superiority.

Don't forget that in 2008 Malignant Narcissism lost to Bruce Springsteen's Once Upon A Time In The West :eh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_d50BaUPUM

I hope that didn't put anyone to sleep. :LOL:

• Like 1

We may as well take the Grammy thread off on a tangent for a while. It will take a few years to come back around for their lifetime achievement award in 2022 celebrating a mere 90 years until the album's prophecy is fulfilled.

Don't forget that in 2008 Malignant Narcissism lost to Bruce Springsteen's Once Upon A Time In The West :eh:

Yes, that's much better than MalNar. :eyeroll: And I just woke up too. I have to go to work, but now I just want to go back to bed. That was like musical valium.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sleep024.gif

• Like 1

Didn't put me to sleep. Fortunately, you put the words "Bruce Springsteen" in your note so I knew to avoid it.