Official New Music Thread

Moonraker

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jun 22 2008, 02:26 PM)
I went back down to the used CD stand and got:

The Doors - The Doors
Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery

Both great albums. Enjoy. trink39.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jun 22 2008, 04:20 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 21 2008, 09:06 PM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jun 19 2008, 03:35 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 18 2008, 11:07 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 18 2008, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jun 17 2008, 04:58 PM)
And today I got Coldplay's new album, Viva la Vida. Haven't gotten an album on its release date since...oh...Snakes & Arrows  trink39.gif

What do you think of the new album? I found the style to be a bit different from Coldplay's previous works.

I agree, which is why it's good. I don't like their earlier work at all, but their new one is really, really good. I like the new direction they're going in.

I agree. I like a few tracks off of the previous three albums (I'll cop to owning two of them) but I actually like this entire album. There are a couple individual songs I could take or leave, and some of the lyrics are a bit contrived, but I really like the new sound that Brian Eno seems to be pushing them toward and I think this is by far their best album yet.

Was perhaps most surprised to read that they were influenced by Tinariwen in making this album (you can hear it on "Yes") since I wasn't sure there were many other people who'd even heard of my favorite Tuareg rebel band. Malian music rocks.

I bought the new Coldplay album the day it was released too...it hasn't grabbed me. Yet. I hope it does.

I guess I'll get razzed for this, but I LIKE Coldplay's old stuff. I have their DVD from 2003 (I think) and it's really great stuff.

Anyway, I'm hoping that "Viva la Vida" starts growing on me. I really wanted to love it. I can definitely hear Eno's influence.

The two title tracks are really good. I think "Strawberry Swing" and "Cemetaries of London" sound the most like older Coldplay, like X&Y and A Rush of Blood to the Head. I don't hear much that reminds me of Parachutes aside from maybe "Reign of Love".

I've completely forgotten what i was going to say, but it was along the lines of agreeing with you, I think. I'll say later.

I think Viva La Vida is brilliant. They've changed for the better, as writing 'A Rush of Blood To The Head Pt. III' would have been really bad (I don't have a good view of X&Y). Thankfully, they got Eno on board.

Anyway, new purchases;

Sigur Ros - With A Buzz In Our Ears We Play Endlessly (As if I'm writing the Icelandic version laugh.gif )

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

For 8 euro each the following masterpieces on vinyl:

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

Stevie - Talking Book and Innervisions

Velvets - White Light, White Heat

Ry Cooder - I, Flathead

Sigur Ros - The New One With The Long Title

Steve Howe - Motif Vol. 1

Steve Howe Trio - The Haunted Melody

Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory (finally)

And also 'finally', ordered from Amazon:

All The World's A Stage

Different Stages

tongue.gif

I bought Starless and Bible Black and Three of a Perfect Pair the yesterday at Best Buy. Oddly enough, I had gone with the intention of buying Red and Discipline, as these seem to be the best of their respective lineups, plus I knew I had seen both of them there before. But of course, they had neither, so I had settle with the above 2--still great albums, don't get me wrong, but I was still kinda bummed. And I found it even more baffling that they didn't have the first album, but they had Lizard. confused13.gif

Yesterday I got a (really scratched up) copy of the triple-gatefold version of All the World's a Stage, on vinyl, which I promptly swapped the records with my good-condition copy of the regular version. It was only a buck.

QUOTE (deadwing2112 @ Jul 10 2008, 01:18 PM)
I bought Relayer by Yes off of iTunes.

I can do without the album artwork and liner notes for a $3 album.

I agree, that $3 was a steal. If I didn't already own the album, I would have bought it off there.