Official New Music Thread

Moonraker

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 18 2008, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jun 17 2008, 04:58 PM)
And today I got Coldplay's new album, Viva la Vida. Haven't gotten an album on its release date since...oh...Snakes & Arrows  trink39.gif

What do you think of the new album? I found the style to be a bit different from Coldplay's previous works.

I agree, which is why it's good. I don't like their earlier work at all, but their new one is really, really good. I like the new direction they're going in.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 18 2008, 11:07 PM)
And today I got Coldplay's new album, Viva la Vida. Haven't gotten an album on its release date since...oh...Snakes & Arrows  trink39.gif

What do you think of the new album? I found the style to be a bit different from Coldplay's previous works.

I agree, which is why it's good. I don't like their earlier work at all, but their new one is really, really good. I like the new direction they're going in.

I agree. I like a few tracks off of the previous three albums (I'll cop to owning two of them) but I actually like this entire album. There are a couple individual songs I could take or leave, and some of the lyrics are a bit contrived, but I really like the new sound that Brian Eno seems to be pushing them toward and I think this is by far their best album yet.

Was perhaps most surprised to read that they were influenced by Tinariwen in making this album (you can hear it on "Yes") since I wasn't sure there were many other people who'd even heard of my favorite Tuareg rebel band. Malian music rocks.

QUOTE (Choose/the/light @ Jun 18 2008, 10:20 PM)
The Sky Moves Sideways - Porcupine Tree

AWESOME!!!

Agreed...that's a solid record. Definitely my favorite of the Delerium albums.

Pavlov's Dog - Pampered Menial

Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue

Fleet Foxes

Aimee Mann - @#%&*! Smilers - hate to say this, but it's another dud from Aimee. Really dull.

Michael Oldfield - Heaven's Open

Mike Oldfield - Earth Moving

Just bought In Absentia by Porcupine Tree. cool.gif

I must learn Wedding Nails on the guitar! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jun 21 2008, 01:44 AM)
Took three risks: Portishead's Dummy, Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden, and Blitzen Trapper's Wild Mountain Nation.

I'd like to know in particular how the Talk Talk album is. I've heard a lot about them, but have yet to hear any of their material.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jun 20 2008, 09:44 PM)
Took three risks: Portishead's Dummy, Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden, and Blitzen Trapper's Wild Mountain Nation.

The Portishead album is the most drop-dead gorgeous album I've ever heard in my life. But it's not like stuff you usually listen to so I'm interested to see how you like it.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 21 2008, 12:38 AM)

The Portishead album is the most drop-dead gorgeous album I've ever heard in my life. But it's not like stuff you usually listen to so I'm interested to see how you like it.

Well, I'll definitely need to listen to it a few more times before I really get my bearings about it. I will say that "Mysterons" and "Sour Times" are beautiful.

Speaking of which, today I got the James album Laid.

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Jun 21 2008, 12:10 AM)

I'd like to know in particular how the Talk Talk album is. I've heard a lot about them, but have yet to hear any of their material.

It's very hard to describe...it's very different. Post-rock is like no other movement in music. I'm going to have to listen to that one a few more times, too. The standout track I noticed was "The Rainbow", which might be worth the investment in and of itself.

The Blitzen Trapper album is crazy, though. There are a few really good, instant-classic tracks (the title track and "Summer Town", most notably) and a lot of really bizarre lo-fi stuff.

Edited by Kudzu

I just bought Fleet Foxes' self-titled album as well as the Sun Giant EP. Which is saying a lot, because I've bought maybe 10 CDs all year. The last one I bought before this was Snakes & Arrows Live. I've more or less completed the all-digital transformation. But I had to make an exception for this band. And plus, it was a combined $17 for both discs.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 21 2008, 03:48 PM)
I just bought Fleet Foxes' self-titled album as well as the Sun Giant EP. Which is saying a lot, because I've bought maybe 10 CDs all year. The last one I bought before this was Snakes & Arrows Live. I've more or less completed the all-digital transformation. But I had to make an exception for this band. And plus, it was a combined $17 for both discs.

I just don't find myself buying many EPs. I don't know why that is. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jun 21 2008, 09:07 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 21 2008, 12:38 AM)

Well, I'll definitely need to listen to it a few more times before I really get my bearings about it. I will say that "Mysterons" and "Sour Times" are beautiful.

Speaking of which, today I got the James album Laid.

It'll be a rewarding album for you trink39.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jun 21 2008, 06:02 PM)

I just don't find myself buying many EPs. I don't know why that is. confused13.gif

I never post in this thread, I don't know why that is because I must have bought about 500 cds in the last 12 months... confused13.gif

I guess I'm just not hip enough to hang out in this treehouse...

ph34r.gif

Edited by treeduck

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 21 2008, 07:12 PM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jun 21 2008, 06:02 PM)

I never post in this thread, I don't know why that is because I must have bought about 500 cds in the last 12 months... confused13.gif

I guess I'm just not hip enough to hang out in this treehouse...

ph34r.gif

If I posted in here every time I acquired new music, nobody else would post in this thread because their posts would get lost among all of mine ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jun 19 2008, 03:35 AM)

I agree. I like a few tracks off of the previous three albums (I'll cop to owning two of them) but I actually like this entire album. There are a couple individual songs I could take or leave, and some of the lyrics are a bit contrived, but I really like the new sound that Brian Eno seems to be pushing them toward and I think this is by far their best album yet.

Was perhaps most surprised to read that they were influenced by Tinariwen in making this album (you can hear it on "Yes") since I wasn't sure there were many other people who'd even heard of my favorite Tuareg rebel band. Malian music rocks.

I bought the new Coldplay album the day it was released too...it hasn't grabbed me. Yet. I hope it does.

I guess I'll get razzed for this, but I LIKE Coldplay's old stuff. I have their DVD from 2003 (I think) and it's really great stuff.

Anyway, I'm hoping that "Viva la Vida" starts growing on me. I really wanted to love it. I can definitely hear Eno's influence.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jun 21 2008, 09:06 PM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Jun 19 2008, 03:35 AM)

I bought the new Coldplay album the day it was released too...it hasn't grabbed me. Yet. I hope it does.

I guess I'll get razzed for this, but I LIKE Coldplay's old stuff. I have their DVD from 2003 (I think) and it's really great stuff.

Anyway, I'm hoping that "Viva la Vida" starts growing on me. I really wanted to love it. I can definitely hear Eno's influence.

The two title tracks are really good. I think "Strawberry Swing" and "Cemetaries of London" sound the most like older Coldplay, like X&Y and A Rush of Blood to the Head. I don't hear much that reminds me of Parachutes aside from maybe "Reign of Love".

Portishead's Dummy
Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden

Spirit of Eden is fantastic, but I need to listen to Dummy a bit more myself. On first listen, I thought it was too long and some songs sounded filler-ish, but the key is just listening to it more.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Jun 22 2008, 06:20 AM)
Portishead's Dummy
Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden

Spirit of Eden is fantastic, but I need to listen to Dummy a bit more myself. On first listen, I thought it was too long and some songs sounded filler-ish, but the key is just listening to it more.

On first listen, I thought there was some filler on both. I need to listen to Spirit of Eden again today, though.