Official New Music Thread

Moonraker

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Apr 19 2008, 04:29 PM)
Plus an extra record, three sampler CD's, a T-shirt, stickers, posters, etc. because it's 'record store day' and they were giving away crap.

I LOVE this new holiday, and hope it's not the last year they do it. I picked up a few CDs:

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs

Love - Forever Changes

Scott Walker - The Drift

Also got Bruce Springsteen's Magic for my dad for his birthday in a couple of weeks, because he went to see him a few weeks ago and said "man, his new stuff sounded good. I might go out and buy it." And then I had to remind him that since he isn't the kind of person that wants a lot of stuff and therefore is usually really hard to shop for on birthdays and such, he isn't allowed to buy anything like that for himself during the month of April.

None of the CD samplers they gave me in my gift bag looked very interesting, although among the stickers was a NIN Year Zero one that has that "Art is Resistance" flag thing on it, pretty cool.

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Apr 19 2008, 08:29 PM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 11 2008, 09:01 AM)
QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Apr 8 2008, 09:15 PM)
Aphex Twin-Drukqs

Amazing stuff

You seem to really be enjoying AT.

I'd check out Autechre if you haven't already. That duo plays a style of music that's very similar to AT.

I must have missed this. I have a few Autechre albums, all great.

Which ones of theirs do you have?

QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 26 2008, 08:34 AM)
Very nice Kudzu. I bet you're close to having all their studio albums in physical copies. trink39.gif

All but their latest three. And I listened to most of Accelerate and no.gif I wasn't impressed. Not even any real standout tracks...at least Monster has standout tracks.

I would suggest listening to Accelerate more. It has seemed to garner a fine response from critics, and after four or five listens, it has definitely grown on me.

I do agree that Monster has standout tracks. One of them in particular is "King of Comedy". I'd like to know your thoughts on that one Kudzu.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 28 2008, 04:30 AM)
Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted: Luxe & Reduxe

OK, this (along with Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain: LA's Desert Origins and Wowee Zowee: Sordid Sentinels Edition) absolutely set the standard for how to do the "deluxe reissue" thing. Great liner notes, entire concerts, EPs, BBC sessions, B sides...each one has like 3 more albums' worth of stuff. And they're all very reasonably priced too. This is how it should be done always.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 29 2008, 05:30 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 28 2008, 04:30 AM)
Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted: Luxe & Reduxe

OK, this (along with Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain: LA's Desert Origins and Wowee Zowee: Sordid Sentinels Edition) absolutely set the standard for how to do the "deluxe reissue" thing. Great liner notes, entire concerts, EPs, BBC sessions, B sides...each one has like 3 more albums' worth of stuff. And they're all very reasonably priced too. This is how it should be done always.

Agreed, the bar was raised. I had all these on well-worn cassettes. The remasters sound so new, it's like listening to them for the first time. I put on Slanted and Enchanted in the car yesterday, and went straight to Here, still a work of unimagineable genius.

The live at Brixton Academy show is great too, reminds me of the time I saw them in Cork way back when.

Sonic Youth With Better Tunes!

Picked up these CDs last week:

Rush - Snakes & Arrows Live

Motley Crue - Red, White & Crue

Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold

Picked this up at the big used CD place downtown for 1/2 price! The CD hasn't even been taken out of its jewel case, the case was just cracked. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif biggrin.gif

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/57/Ad-ktmia.jpg

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Apr 29 2008, 06:12 PM)
Picked this up at the big used CD place downtown for 1/2 price! The CD hasn't even been taken out of its jewel case, the case was just cracked. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif biggrin.gif

That's Billy from APC's new band, right?

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 29 2008, 07:26 PM)

That's the one.

QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Apr 29 2008, 06:27 PM)

That's the one.

How is it? Does it sound like APC?

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 29 2008, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (ifloveremains @ Apr 29 2008, 06:27 PM)

That's the one.

How is it? Does it sound like APC?

It's definitely reminiscent of APC, but I think it's pretty good, especially the vocals. "The Stone" is the stand-out track, though, without a doubt.