Official New Music Thread

Moonraker

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Sep 21 2006, 12:25 AM)
Both of the David Gilmour remasters. They sound better than the original CDs by a longshot.

A couple of people were talking about this over at Pink Floyd Online but I didn't know they were out already. Post a review of them in PuppetKing's Album Review thread. smile.gif

After a rather long wait, Dire Straits' 1982 release Love Over Gold arrived in the mail this afternoon. It's not quite as well-known or best-selling an album as 1985's Brothers in Arms or 1980's Making Movies. However, Love Over Gold offers subtle nuances in its progressive leanings. Mark Knopfler continues to establish himself as one of the greatest emotive guitarists in rock history. That's a good thing.

The opening cut, "Telegraph Road", is an epic song about the industrialization of the world. Piano lines and the finger-plucked guitar soloing of Knopfler dominate musically, if they can be called "dominating" at all. This is not hard rock; this is rock music as art. It builds as the song goes on; it may be too long or too subtle for some listeners' tastes, but as a progressive rock fan and a Knopfler acolyte, I like it quite a lot.

"Private Investigations" follows, mellow as it begins, entering into a strummed, almost flamenco-flavored guitar solo over which Knopfler, in the character of a private detective, begins to speak. The song is basically instrumental, since there is no actual singing in it. After Knopfler's last spoken section, the character of the song changes somewhat, adding a steady rhythm section below the increasingly exploratory guitar. Soon enough, an electric guitar shreds in to add another layer, then the piano. As soon as they appear, almost, they are gone; and then back; the song continues in this way to finish. Definitely prog rock.

The third track, "Industrial Disease", takes up the familiar Love Over Gold theme of disaffect with the corrosion of the modern times in satirical fashion. The song is upbeat and rollicking, in contrast with its satirical but charged lyrics. Not my favorite on the album; not unlistenable, though.

"Love Over Gold", track number four and title track for the album, comes in with the piano again and adds the acoustic guitar in shortly. Knopfler's voice reinforces the quiet, hushed beauty of the Dire Straits ballad. It's about a spontaneous woman who acts boldly on flickers of passion and spurs of the moment; the last verse asserts that "It takes love over gold / And mind over matter / To do what you do that you must" and gives tacit approval to the fearless, unplanned actions of the character in the song. It's really a beautiful piece (there's even a marimba solo woven in there) and a new favorite of mine from the band...

The album ends with "It Never Rains", about a woman who lives life on the edge in a different way (or, perhaps, not in a different way but simply seen from a more critical perspective?) and does irresponsible and naive things that end up hurting the people around her and alienating the world. I think that Dire Straits does better when they try to be affective and evocative; as with the similarly up-tempo "Industrial Disease", "It Never Rains" is not quite as good or moving of a song as "Telegraph Road" or "Love Over Gold". It's not bad, though, as 'Straits rockers go.

Overall, I would recommend Love Over Gold to fans of Dire Straits or such other bands as Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, and Camel. It's only five tracks long (though all are long, one very much so), but the passages tying together all of them - save, perhaps, for "Industrial Disease" - are classic 'Straits, music as art and art as music. I guess that's what makes groups like this better for me than most of the heavy metal stuff like Motorhead, Dokken, and Metallica.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 24 2006, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 24 2006, 08:10 AM)
A friend of mine reccomended me the new John Mayer album, Continuum .  It's done downloading.  I'll give it a try.

I'm meeting the guy today and watching his soundcheck. I'll let you know how that goes.

cool.

I'm on the last song of the CD. It's a completely different style than what I usually listen to. It took a few songs for me to be able to appreciate it. Though it probably will never get to the very top of my list, it was still a worthy addition IMO.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Sep 23 2006, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Sep 21 2006, 12:25 AM)
Both of the David Gilmour remasters. They sound better than the original CDs by a longshot.

A couple of people were talking about this over at Pink Floyd Online but I didn't know they were out already. Post a review of them in PuppetKing's Album Review thread. smile.gif

where is that

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 24 2006, 09:00 AM)
A friend of mine reccomended me the new John Mayer album, Continuum .  It's done downloading.  I'll give it a try.

I'm meeting the guy today and watching his soundcheck. I'll let you know how that goes.

cool.

I'm on the last song of the CD. It's a completely different style than what I usually listen to. It took a few songs for me to be able to appreciate it. Though it probably will never get to the very top of my list, it was still a worthy addition IMO.

Just got back. John is way too down-to-earth to be dating Jessica Simpson. He was a really cool guy, answered a lot of our questions, said some really interesting things.

His soundcheck was about an hour. Played 5 or 6 songs. I don't care for his music at all, but he is an excellent guitarist.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 24 2006, 06:06 PM)
QUOTE (fledgehog @ Sep 24 2006, 09:00 AM)

cool.

Just got back. John is way too down-to-earth to be dating Jessica Simpson. He was a really cool guy, answered a lot of our questions, said some really interesting things.

His soundcheck was about an hour. Played 5 or 6 songs. I don't care for his music at all, but he is an excellent guitarist.

Cool! smile.gif

Yeah, he isn't exactly my style either, but I will not say that he is bad at what he does, he is far from it. I liked a few songs from the CD, and a few songs from previous CDs as well.

Anyways, I heard alot about Symphony X on the Dream Theater forums, and I previewed The Oddessy (Sp?) at FYE the other day. I d/l'ed there discography (usually easier than getting single albums)

Finally got to Amoeba the other day and bought a buncha new cds

The Mars Volta - Amputechture

Mates Of State - Bring It Back

Silversun Pickups - Carnavas

TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain

Thom Yorke - The Eraser

Depeche Mode - Touring The Angel: Live In Milan (DVD)

A Boy Named Goo by the Goo Goo Dolls just finished downloading

I've been hearing alot about Dredg on the Dream Theater forums. I listened to the clips in the store of Catch Without Arms today, and thought it was pretty good. I now am the proud owner (downloader) of Catch Without Arms, El Cielo, Leitmotif, and Orph.

Meddle by Pink Floyd just finished downloading.

Edited by fledgehog