Official New Music Thread

Moonraker

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 15 2006, 12:14 AM)
Surrounded is my favorite song off I&W.

D/L'ed Kamelot's discography. I was looking for only The Black Halo, but discography set seemed to have a better rating. I'll listen to TBH once Misplaced Childhood ends.

Great album.

Listen to the album Epica before you listen to the Black Halo though. It really helps set up the story in TBH.

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Aug 19 2006, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (KublaKhan @ Aug 19 2006, 07:55 AM)
Yesterday my dad got me "Rush" for 7.99.

Refarmiliarized myself with it. Its actually really good.

I thought that the first time I heard it!

I got Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence today cool.gif

Six Degrees is a very intense album...though it isn't Dream Theater's "heaviest"; it's certainly one of their darkest (Awake is the only one that I can see being considered darker). The first CD didn't do much for me, aside from The Glass Prison and Disappear; however don't let the first CD discourage you from listening to the 46-minute title epic. It will totally blow you away, right from the opening drum roll of Overture to the resonating E chord at the end of Grand Finale.

Enjoy! smile.gif

^^I downloaded ObC about a week or two back. I have yet to listen to it; It's just one of these things that I keep putting off and never get around to confused13.gif

I'll listen to it tonight, along with the Muse album that I never played tongue.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 19 2006, 12:02 PM)
QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Aug 19 2006, 12:58 PM)
QUOTE (KublaKhan @ Aug 19 2006, 07:55 AM)
Yesterday my dad got me "Rush" for 7.99.

Refarmiliarized myself with it. Its actually really good.

I thought that the first time I heard it!

I got Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence today cool.gif

Six Degrees is a very intense album...though it isn't Dream Theater's "heaviest"; it's certainly one of their darkest (Awake is the only one that I can see being considered darker). The first CD didn't do much for me, aside from The Glass Prison and Disappear; however don't let the first CD discourage you from listening to the 46-minute title epic. It will totally blow you away, right from the opening drum roll of Overture to the resonating E chord at the end of Grand Finale.

Enjoy! smile.gif

I think both discs are great! I liked the second a bit better, but The Glass Prison and The Great Debate are amazing.

It finally came. Took long enough, but I got it. I'm listening to it right now. Gutterflower is the 2002 studio album release from The Goo Goo Dolls. What's my take?

The opener, "Big Machine", is easily one of the best, most explosive tracks that The Goo Goo Dolls have ever cut. I'm fairly well familiar with the song, as I've downloaded it previously (iTunes), but it's worth noting that it is still awesome. It's about a guy who has fallen hopelessly for an apathetic girl who is destroying her life through her carelessness and, as should be expected of Johnny Rzeznik, it is lyrically honest and has an edge.

"Think About Me" is all right. Because it's Rzeznik, it's head-and-shoulders above your average alternative rock, but it doesn't really stand out as a brilliant song.

The third song, "Here Is Gone", I also had downloaded and listened to previously. As with "Big Machine", it's still great and I think I appreciate it even more now. Johnny Rzeznik proves that he might be the best vocalist in modern Top 40 music and the lyrics are quite affecting, even if the subject matter is nothing new (girl closes off because of a past relationship crash, guy tries to keep things together somehow).

"You Never Know" features Robby Takac on vocals and is therefore almost unbearable. When Johnny Rzeznik is as good as he is, why can't he sing all of the band's material? Takac isn't too bad when he's doing backup vocals, as on Dizzy Up The Girl's "Bullet Proof", but on lead...he's terrible. Truly.

"What A Scene" is another rocker number that works well; Gutterflower is thankfully full of these. It's a pretty solid song, and I enjoy it a fair bit. Drummer Mike Malinin shines here; the percussion section does very well.

And then comes "Up, Up, Up", another terribly regrettable Takac song, but still better than most of his other lead-vocal tracks somehow (at the very least; doesn't say much). He doesn't do too poorly on bass here, though.

"It's Over" has a very cynical title, as you might have noticed, and the lyrics are hopeless: after breakup, girl moves on and guy is desperate and still needs her. Again, despite the cliche, Rzeznik cuts through it with well-crafted honesty in his message. That's probably why I like this band so much.

Then there's the acoustic song, "Sympathy", also a downloaded track and probably the best song on the album. In addition to it having one of the best damn music videos I've ever seen, it's a great song with thought-provoking lyrics that can be interpreted in multiple ways. The way that I have to look at it is that the narrator's been trying to fit in with a crowd, or with a certain person - with Rzeznik, probably his now-ex-wife - by pretending to be someone he's not, and now he's agonizing over what he's given up to fake a different life, and he's sorry, but he just can't do that anymore because it was all a lie. Sympathy is strange, though, because he's breaking away...and that's not a bad thing. He's realizing that he can't live like that and it's time to change, and he doesn't need sympathy from the people or person he pretended to in order to get with them.

"What Do You Need?" is an underrated uptempo, aggressive Rzeznik tune. The lyrics suggest a fragmented relationship made from desperation that is, as such relationships are wont to do, now falling apart because of the high tensions and emotions. Gutterflower is a very bleak album beneath the sheen, owing to Johnny Rzeznik's problems with his former marriage - it seems to be an emotional catharsis in this way, which makes it seem all the more honest and actually focused.

The third Takac song, "Smash", would be pretty good if he wasn't singing it. Unfortunately, he is.

The fourth and last Takac song, unfortunately placed directly after "Smash" (also Takac), could not be redeemed by anything save for perhaps the vocals of Steve Perry, Elton John, or Phil Collins, who seem to be able to sing anything without making it sound lyrically awkward. Worst song on the album.

"Truth Is A Whisper" closes out Gutterflower on a less musically intense level than the way "Big Machine" opens it. It's not all that catchy, but it's all right and Malinin has some nice cymbals going on here. It may grow on me; many initially unassuming Goo Goo Dolls songs tend to do that.

Overall, not as good as 1998's instant classic Dizzy Up The Girl or 2006's Let Love In, but a fairly solid offering nonetheless, marred (as always) by the voice of Robby Takac cropping up a little too often (one song = too often). I already had the three best songs on my hard drive, but it's good to have other songs like "What A Scene" and "What Do You Need?" and the album itself.

It's another music review...

Abacab, the 1981 effort from Phil Collins-led progressive/pop-rock band Genesis, came in the mail today. It's kind of interesting. And it continues the Genesis fascination with "monkeys", which must be either a hilarious coincidence, a repeated lyrical shortcoming, or an inside joke.

The title track, "Abacab", opens Abacab fabulously. The song is at once catchy and artsy. Genesis has perfected this brand of "progressive pop rock" under Phil Collins by now. "Abacab" is a perfect example of this. Classic keyboard work, of course, from Tony Banks, and a fine vocal performance from Collins and his backup singers.

"No Reply At All" is a bit darker, but still catchy. It's one of the best songs on the album, nearly as good as "Abacab". Collins shines here, truly.

"Me and Sarah Jane" is kind of just pop filler, but it's of a Genesis quality, and even if it's not brilliant or a standout track by any sense of the word, it's definitely listenable and works with the album very well.

The next song, "Keep It Dark", is not extremely memorable, not really great but not bad. It's just another filler track. Michael Rutherford is effective as guitars are prominent here, which isn't a common Genesis thing. Collins reminds his listeners that he can still play drums pretty damn well.

Unfortunately, "Dodo/Lurker", which follows "Keep It Dark", is where the band overreaches. On their album Duke, they blended prog and pop perfectly, especially on gorgeous pieces like "Duchess" and especially "Heathaze", a personal favorite of mine. On "Dodo/Lurker", they sound pretentious and fall flat. This isn't Peter Gabriel Genesis. This is Phil Collins Genesis, and this is the '80s. The heyday of art rock is over. Good keyboard work by Banks again, if nothing else.

I couldn't even make it through "Who Dunnit?" because it was so annoying. Come on. I slogged through four Robby Takac-sung songs for my previous review of The Goo Goo Dolls' Gutterflower. I just couldn't make it here.

Fortunately, Abacab recovers with the haunting "Man on the Corner", another standout track that is unfortunately much too short. This should have been the seven-and-a-half-minute track on this album, not "Dodo/Lurker".

"Like It or Not" is a pop ballad effort that works nicely, but isn't really anything innovative, moving, or brilliant. It's better than "Me and Sarah Jane" and possibly "Keep It Dark", but is outmatched by "Abacab", "No Reply At All", and "Man on the Corner".

"Another Record" ends Abacab fairly well, but there's not a whole lot to say.

Overall, not a great Genesis album, but worth picking up if you're a fan of the band under Phil Collins. If you're one of those Peter Gabriel diehards, don't bother.

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 22 2006, 07:41 PM)

Abacab, the 1981 effort from Phil Collins-led progressive/pop-rock band Genesis, came in the mail today. It's kind of interesting. And it continues the Genesis fascination with "monkeys", which must be either a hilarious coincidence, a repeated lyrical shortcoming, or an inside joke.

The title track, "Abacab", opens Abacab fabulously. The song is at once catchy and artsy. Genesis has perfected this brand of "progressive pop rock" under Phil Collins by now. "Abacab" is a perfect example of this. Classic keyboard work, of course, from Tony Banks, and a fine vocal performance from Collins and his backup singers.

"No Reply At All" is a bit darker, but still catchy. It's one of the best songs on the album, nearly as good as "Abacab". Collins shines here, truly.

"Me and Sarah Jane" is kind of just pop filler, but it's of a Genesis quality, and even if it's not brilliant or a standout track by any sense of the word, it's definitely listenable and works with the album very well.

The next song, "Keep It Dark", is not extremely memorable, not really great but not bad. It's just another filler track. Michael Rutherford is effective as guitars are prominent here, which isn't a common Genesis thing. Collins reminds his listeners that he can still play drums pretty damn well.

Unfortunately, "Dodo/Lurker", which follows "Keep It Dark", is where the band overreaches. On their album Duke, they blended prog and pop perfectly, especially on gorgeous pieces like "Duchess" and especially "Heathaze", a personal favorite of mine. On "Dodo/Lurker", they sound pretentious and fall flat. This isn't Peter Gabriel Genesis. This is Phil Collins Genesis, and this is the '80s. The heyday of art rock is over. Good keyboard work by Banks again, if nothing else.

I couldn't even make it through "Who Dunnit?" because it was so annoying. Come on. I slogged through four Robby Takac-sung songs for my previous review of The Goo Goo Dolls' Gutterflower. I just couldn't make it here.

Fortunately, Abacab recovers with the haunting "Man on the Corner", another standout track that is unfortunately much too short. This should have been the seven-and-a-half-minute track on this album, not "Dodo/Lurker".

"Like It or Not" is a pop ballad effort that works nicely, but isn't really anything innovative, moving, or brilliant. It's better than "Me and Sarah Jane" and possibly "Keep It Dark", but is outmatched by "Abacab", "No Reply At All", and "Man on the Corner".

Overall, not a great Genesis album, but worth picking up if you're a fan of the band under Phil Collins. If you're one of those Peter Gabriel diehards, don't bother.

ABACAB is my favorite Collins-era album by far. I agree that Whodunnit is supremely annoying, but the album is really solid.

I just bought Babbu Maan's new album, "Rabb Ne Banaiyan Jodiean" a few weeks ago. Waiting to buy the new Enigma album in September and Rush's sometime early next year.

Babbu Maan's Official Website: http://www.babbumann.net

Edited by Ru5h F@n

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Aug 22 2006, 09:50 PM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 22 2006, 07:41 PM)

ABACAB is my favorite Collins-era album by far. I agree that Whodunnit is supremely annoying, but the album is really solid.

I'm a Duke man. cool.gif

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Aug 22 2006, 10:41 PM)

Abacab rocked awesomely for Genesis. It was a kick ass album for them.

er....it seems like Kasabian is not even out yet.... confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif On their site it says the 28th.... confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif just for the UK maybe?

Anyways I bought...

Bob Dylan- Modern Times

Sam Roberts- Chemical City

Thom York- The Eraser

QUOTE (D-13 @ Aug 29 2006, 10:29 PM)
er....it seems like Kasabian is not even out yet.... confused13.gif  confused13.gif  confused13.gif  On their site it says the 28th.... confused13.gif  confused13.gif  confused13.gif  just for the UK maybe? 

Anyways I bought...

Bob Dylan- Modern Times
Thom York- The Eraser

Hows the dylan album?

Edited by fledgehog

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 29 2006, 07:15 PM)
QUOTE (D-13 @ Aug 29 2006, 10:29 PM)
er....it seems like Kasabian is not even out yet.... confused13.gif  confused13.gif  confused13.gif  On their site it says the 28th.... confused13.gif  confused13.gif  confused13.gif  just for the UK maybe? 

Anyways I bought...

Bob Dylan- Modern Times
Thom York- The Eraser

Hows the dylan album?

It's excellent. Very much in the vein of his last two releases, Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft, but I think that in its own way it's better than those two...but as a trilogy, these three make up his best body of work since his 60s/70s heyday.

If you're a Dylan fan I would highly recommend it.