Official New Music Thread

Moonraker

I went to a local record store today to pick up my preorder of the Red Hot Chili Peppers album on vinyl, and ended up walking out with 2 more vinyls and 2 CDs. Here's the full list:

Vinyl:

Kesha - High Road (Orange/Red Swirl)

P.O.D. - Satellite

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love (Orange)

CDs:

Demi Lovato - Here We Go Again

Less Than Jake - Anthem

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that Chili Pepper's record run you? I've always wanted to get some RCHP on vinyl, but they're always a good 5-15 bucks over what I feel I aught to pay for them.

It was 40. I thought that was a bit steep, but I did support a local business in the process. I feel like 30 would've been reasonable.
  • Like 1

I went to a local record store today to pick up my preorder of the Red Hot Chili Peppers album on vinyl, and ended up walking out with 2 more vinyls and 2 CDs. Here's the full list:

Vinyl:

P.O.D. - Satellite

CDs:

Less Than Jake - Anthem

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that Chili Pepper's record run you? I've always wanted to get some RCHP on vinyl, but they're always a good 5-15 bucks over what I feel I aught to pay for them.

It was 40. I thought that was a bit steep, but I did support a local business in the process. I feel like 30 would've been reasonable.

Yeah, that's what I expected. I shouldn't complain, cuz I paid 40 no questions asked for the last DT album, and I think 35(?) for the last Mastodon album as well, but the Chili's have always seemed a bit over priced on vinyl to me somehow. Like you said though, when you buy local, at least you can say that extra cost is putting more money back into the store you love. I pre-ordered Jack White's upcoming album from my local record store back home specifically for that reason, even though I'm a 12 hour drive away now!

• Like 1

Vinyl:

P.O.D. - Satellite

CDs:

Less Than Jake - Anthem

Yeah, that's what I expected. I shouldn't complain, cuz I paid 40 no questions asked for the last DT album, and I think 35(?) for the last Mastodon album as well, but the Chili's have always seemed a bit over priced on vinyl to me somehow. Like you said though, when you buy local, at least you can say that extra cost is putting more money back into the store you love. I pre-ordered Jack White's upcoming album from my local record store back home specifically for that reason, even though I'm a 12 hour drive away now!

I've preordered a few other albums there before. I also like a lot of the indie store exclusive variants my store gets.
  • Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 1:55 PM, Laurabw said:

who bought the Fish era Marillion? I forget. Wondering what the verdict is!

I'm joining the convo halfway through, but I am a huge Fish era Marillion fan.  Tried desperately to like Hogarth, many times, but I had to surrender.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 8:31 AM, Laurabw said:

Just got the new Tears for Fears, blue vinyl from Target. Excellent.

"Tipping Point" has floored me.  What an amazing album, so much passion and stylistic variety.  Clever too IMO, approaching topics that aren't easy to discuss without seeming biased or preachy.

Just emailed a friend recommending the album, and as I stated in the email... one of the best albums in the past 20 years for me.  If you follow my posts on this forum, I rarely speak in such lauded terms  And I rarely speak using such hyperbole.

There's also a surround mix which is apparently really good (another Steven Wilson masterwork). I've had a severe downturn with surround music in general, and don't bother with it anymore but thought it worth mentioning.  The first run sold out and were going for 2x the original price on eBay, as such they did a second pressing and if interest is high enough I can't see why they wouldn't do a third [these were done as preorders].

Some example tracks, starting with the first whose acoustic sets the "you can't predict what's ahead" tone for the album.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Got some records today:

Chicago - Chicago IV (yes, the quadruple live album from Carnegie Hall, because what else would you put out after releasing three intense classic double albums in a row to start your career?)

REO Speedwagon - Wheels Are Turning (Am I going for a full collection with REO? Is there any reason I shouldn't?)

Styx - The Mission (Yay! I found it! I thought I'd missed my chance. Who gave this away after taking such nice care of it?)

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Hard Promises (needed this, lots of sentimental value for me)

Blue Öyster Cult - Tyranny And Mutation (just a great find what the heck?)

Thin Lizzy - Fighting (about time I nabbed another TL record, sealed reissue since used copies never seem to show up much)

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love (who am I kidding not having gotten this yet, it's not like I'm not going to like it, and it's not like the price of an RHCP album is ever going to come down)

and digital:

The Warning - Queen Of The Murder Scene (the peer pressure has won, looking forward to this)

• Like 4

I stopped by a music shop in Toronto yesterday and picked these up:

The Tragically Hip - Fully Completely
The Tragically Hip - Day For Night

Baroness - Blue Record

Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures

• Like 2

On 4/7/2022 at 3:25 PM, Super25Smasher said:

What did you guys think of that latest offering from them?  Last album I bought was By the Way.  Anyway, just wondered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steevo said:

What did you guys think of that latest offering from them?  Last album I bought was By the Way.  Anyway, just wondered.

I really enjoyed it. It was their best in a long time IMO. John Frusciante was exactly what they needed. There are so many standout tracks 

On 5/28/2022 at 9:18 PM, Steevo said:

I dig it a lot. It’s a pretty low key affair for much of the runtime, but it’s also some if Flea’s best ever playing, and immaculate production. Really brings out the funk.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

I dig it a lot. It’s a pretty low key affair for much of the runtime, but it’s also some if Flea’s best ever playing, and immaculate production. Really brings out the funk.

Try this:

• Like 2

New Panic! song came out recently and I am LOVING it! Aaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!

• Like 2

On 5/16/2022 at 4:11 PM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Got some records today:

REO Speedwagon - Wheels Are Turning (Am I going for a full collection with REO? Is there any reason I shouldn't?)

I still wanna give the REO back catalogue a good go, on the backburner for now!

My fave BOC album will always be Fire of Unknown Origin, near perfect album.  Have you heard it yet?

• Like 2

On 6/6/2022 at 8:51 AM, Steevo said:

I still wanna give the REO back catalogue a good go, on the backburner for now!

My fave BOC album will always be Fire of Unknown Origin, near perfect album.  Have you heard it yet?

I haven’t heard that one yet!

Blind Guardian - A Twist In The Myth

Vampire Weekend - Contra

Florence + The Machine - Dance Fever

Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher

Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures

The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers

Motorhead - Ace Of Spades

The Pretenders - Learning To Crawl

CD’s for vacation!

• Like 4

The Rhino Records store that has been in downtown Claremont where I grew up since the late 70s is moving to Montclair so I thought I'd go for their 20% off sale for vinyl.  I'm glad they're still around but it's not the same without it being a great downtown area close enough for the college students to shop at and it's moving to a rather bland block with nothing much to offer.

Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate

Black Flag - My War

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 5:11 AM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Got some records today:

Chicago - Chicago IV (yes, the quadruple live album from Carnegie Hall, because what else would you put out after releasing three intense classic double albums in a row to start your career?)

Styx - The Mission (Yay! I found it! I thought I'd missed my chance. Who gave this away after taking such nice care of it?)

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Hard Promises (needed this, lots of sentimental value for me)

Thin Lizzy - Fighting (about time I nabbed another TL record, sealed reissue since used copies never seem to show up much)

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Unlimited Love (who am I kidding not having gotten this yet, it's not like I'm not going to like it, and it's not like the price of an RHCP album is ever going to come down)

and digital:

The Warning - Queen Of The Murder Scene (the peer pressure has won, looking forward to this)

ALL GOOOOLD 

Love seeing BOC, RHCP and Styx there

• Like 1

Finally got my Mark Tremonti Sinatra album. Sooooo good. He's amazing. And the record and packaging is really nice too.