Official New Music Thread

Moonraker

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 13 2005, 07:00 PM)

Van Der Graf Generator - The Least We Can Do is Wave To Each Other

Curios, a coworker gave me a vinyl of them to listen about 3 days ago.

Never heard of them before. Still have to check that record.

What is their kind of Music?

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Sep 14 2005, 06:04 AM)
QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 13 2005, 07:00 PM)

Van Der Graf Generator - The Least We Can Do is Wave To Each Other

Curios, a coworker gave me a vinyl of them to listen about 3 days ago.

Never heard of them before. Still have to check that record.

What is their kind of Music?

It's an amazing album. Some of the most evil saxophone playing ever on White Hammer, while Refugees evokes wonderful imagery. I've been meaning to buy this for ages, and listened through three times yesterday.

It's quite proggy, lots of organ, strings and flute, bass very high in the mix and relatively little electric guitar. Singer Peter Hamill has a good range, and slips between major and minor keys a lot.

I recently came across the punjabi/bhangra music style and an Indian artist who I have really enjoyed listening to since 2004. It was the love ballad called "Ve Jalma" that took my breath away from his 2004 album, Ohi Chann Ohi Rataan. My friend introduced him to me some time last year and I like his music a lot. I just wish I understood the words better.

I can only understand a little of the language at the moment. Still a beginner at that. He is very popular in India. His name is Babbu Maan. Here is his discography:

1. Tu Meri Miss India (2000)

2. Saaun Di Jhadi (2001)

3. Ohi Chann Ohi Rataan (2004)

4. Pyaas (2005)

I'm not 100% verified on the years for these albums, especially for #1 and #2, #3 and #4 are correct though. But they basically give you an idea of when he first started. His music is very hard to find on the internet and in the stores, but I did a lot of research and spent some time and managed to get a little info on him. Indian music is just like ours. It's a different culture but they have good and bad music too as well. So that's what I bought recently. Sorry for the long essay on it. unsure.gif

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Sep 13 2005, 02:05 PM)
New Model Army - Carnival

How is it?

Today at the used CD store:

ANEKDOTEN - Vemod

1022.gif

QUOTE (D-13 @ Oct 1 2005, 03:28 PM)
Kasabian (REALLY GOOD)
NIN-with Teeth
Heart-Greatest Hits

Very nice choices, kudos on Kasabian as well. I've seen em 3 times this year so far, closest was an arms reach away from me (I think I did a review of them somewhere). Nice to see another fan of them, they are going to make it really big soon. I think the new NIN album was more meant to be heard live then in studio though.

I'm with Moon about With Teeth though...it's a good record, but it really comes down to All the Love in the World, Every Day is Exactly the Same, Only, and Beside You in Time. Everything else on the record is decent, but nothing he hasn't already done a better job of on earlier albums.

Well here what i got today!

Kamelot- Epica

Nightwish- From Wishes to Eternity

The Best of Hideout Records- best of Detroit Rock Circa 1966.

and oh yeah, my phone bill came today! great now gotta pay that

John Wesley - Ten

sampler, for $5 at the Porcupine Tree show

Just heard the single from the upcoming Hypnotize CD thats coming out in Nov from System of a down. Last week when we saw them they played it for the first time. Pretty cool tune. 1022.gif

Listen to it here