Official New Music Thread

Moonraker

Heya, I wanted to start an official thread for people to post what new music they have bought recently. If any of you guys have bought new music recently post it here. I will get things started.

Today I bought 4 new albums...

Yes - Going For The One

David Bowie - Scary Monsters

Pete Townshend - Empty Glass

Beethoven - String Quartets, Op. 127 / Op. 131

On a side note, I have made set a new goal in expanding my musical tastes. Every 4 weeks, I will buy 4 albums (which I did today). Of those 4, 1 has to be from an artist I dont have in my collection (Pete Townshend) and one has to be a piece of classical music.

How about you guys?

Edited by Moonraker
  • Like 2

Well, I'm always on the lookout for new country artists (that actually sound country wink.gif )

A few weeks back I picked up Gretchen Wilson's CD (not really knowing what to expect because of the first song that was realeased from the album "Redneck Woman"). To this I have to say it sounds like someone took Waylon Jennings and Tanya Tucker and added a little bit of Skynard....not too bad, I would have to say.

But I havent bought anything else new, save for the re-releases from Rush....which I thought were pretty good smile.gif When I do buy more, I will certainly post what I think of them in this thread (tho mind you, there will most likely be a fair amount of country in here from me! laugh.gif )

• Like 1

Whew! I was afraid we had to tell everyone we were buying NEW new music. Sorry, no Puff Daddy Diddy Mack or Backside Boys for me! Or WHATEVER the blue funk passes for new MOOZAK today.

I recently acquired:

Yes - Close to the Edge

Rush - Presto (remastered)

U2 - Achtung Baby (Hey, sometimes things fall through the cracks.)

Rush - Counterparts (remastered)

Beethoven - 9th (Choral)

That is all for now. Nice thread, Moon!

• Like 1

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 25 2004, 12:52 AM)
Heya, I wanted to start an official thread for people to post what new music they have bought recently. If any of you guys have bought new music recently post it here. I will get things started.

Today I bought 4 new albums...

Yes - Going For The One
David Bowie - Scary Monsters
Pete Townshend - Empty Glass
Beethoven - String Quartets, Op. 127 / Op. 131

On a side note, I have made set a new goal in expanding my musical tastes. Every 4 weeks, I will buy 4 albums (which I did today). Of those 4, 1 has to be from an artist I dont have in my collection (Pete Townshend) and one has to be a piece of classical music.

How about you guys?

Moon: EXCELLENT choice on Mr. Townshend! yes.gif

I will also most highly recommend "All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes" his best solo work. Even better than "Empty Glass" IMO. PM me and we can talk perhaps about a CD sampler? "Give Blood" from "White City" is also his best individual solo song.

• Like 1

I like this thread, Moon...and you've got a good plan there. I may have to adopt something similar me own self. smile.gif

As for my recent purchases...only the 4 Rush remasters...but I was just given a copy of Dire Straits "Love Over Gold," and am already liking it quite a bit...esp. "Telegraph Road." So, thanks to the generous soul who shared that with me. biggrin.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Sep 25 2004, 11:02 AM)
As for my recent purchases...only the 4 Rush remasters...but I was just given a copy of Dire Straits "Love Over Gold," and am already liking it quite a bit...esp. "Telegraph Road." So, thanks to the generous soul who shared that with me. biggrin.gif

Best Dire Straits album ever! yes.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 25 2004, 07:18 AM)
As for my recent purchases...only the 4 Rush remasters...but I was just given a copy of Dire Straits "Love Over Gold," and am already liking it quite a bit...esp. "Telegraph Road."  So, thanks to the generous soul who shared that with me. biggrin.gif

Hmm, I have Making Movies, but didnt know where to continue from there. I might have to check that one out.

• Like 1

Recently, based on the Professor's recommendation in Traveling Music, I check out Jeff Buckleys "Grace". I thought it was pretty good the first time listening, but the more you listen the more you love it. Check it out.
  • Like 1

Well, I went to Borders and they didn't have the remastered Hemispheres, so I got:

Contents Under Pressure (the new Rush book) - looks excellent and I can't wait to read it. Contents Under Pressure

ALSO, I was walking down an aisle and a CD caught my eye, one I had on casette in the 80's and liked a lot - Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell LMAO! I bought it and listened to it in the car and what memories this brought back!! An excellent artist actually, and for the younguns out there who have no clue what this album is, GET IT! Paradise by the Dashboard Lights is a classic and Two outa Three Ain't Bad is also a classic (I want you, I need you, but there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you, but don't be sad, cause two outa three ain't bad LMAO!!!!!)

By the way, this album is 13x MultiPlatinum - 13 million copies and I was also surprised to see on the cover that this was cut in 1977 - I always thought the early to mid-80's, probably because that is when I had the album and listened to it.

Bat Out of Hell

• Like 1

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Sep 25 2004, 11:18 AM)
As for my recent purchases...only the 4 Rush remasters...but I was just given a copy of Dire Straits "Love Over Gold," and am already liking it quite a bit...esp. "Telegraph Road."  So, thanks to the generous soul who shared that with me. biggrin.gif

Yes Jack! I agree! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

This is the peak of Dire Straits, with "Moving Pictures" a close second. For those who know Dire Straits primarily by "Money For Nothing" (and Chicks for Free), check out these two AWESOME releases. You won't regret it. biggrin.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 25 2004, 02:59 PM)
Well, I went to Borders and they didn't have the remastered Hemispheres, so I got:

Contents Under Pressure (the new Rush book) - looks excellent and I can't wait to read it. Contents Under Pressure

ALSO, I was walking down an aisle and a CD caught my eye, one I had on casette in the 80's and liked a lot - Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell LMAO! I bought it and listened to it in the car and what memories this brought back!! An excellent artist actually, and for the younguns out there who have no clue what this album is, GET IT! Paradise by the Dashboard Lights is a classic and Two outa Three Ain't Bad is also a classic (I want you, I need you, but there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you, but don't be sad, cause two outa three ain't bad LMAO!!!!!)
By the way, this album is 13x MultiPlatinum - 13 million copies and I was also surprised to see on the cover that this was cut in 1977 - I always thought the early to mid-80's, probably because that is when I had the album and listened to it.

Bat Out of Hell

Yeah, RR! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif Paradise is an excellent cd! Many think Meat's music is overproduced schlock, but I'm a fan. Paradise opens the floodgate of memories for me as well common001.gif

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 25 2004, 01:59 PM)

Contents Under Pressure (the new Rush book) - looks excellent and I can't wait to read it.    Contents Under Pressure

ALSO, I was walking down an aisle and a CD caught my eye, one I had on casette in the 80's and liked a lot - Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell LMAO!  I bought it and listened to it in the car and what memories this brought back!!  An excellent artist actually, and for the younguns out there who have no clue what this album is, GET IT!  Paradise by the Dashboard Lights is a classic and Two outa Three Ain't Bad is also a classic (I want you, I need you, but there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you, but don't be sad, cause two outa three ain't bad LMAO!!!!!)

Bat Out of Hell

Meatloaf!!! biggrin.gif

my favorite was "you took the words right out of my mouth"

and "for crying out loud"

it is sad that for so many copies sold, the meat man didnt make anything off of that record. it is a true masterpiece.

keeping on topic:

yesterday i bought 2112 remaster. i think i bought that release about 15 times in my life in the form of vinyl, cd, cassette, and i think i even had the 8 track.......i cant remember it was so long ago. i know i did have a few rush 8 tracks back in the day.

as for new music:

yesterday i bought COHEED and CAMBRIA. "IN keeping secrets of silent earth 3"

and i must say.........its pretty damn good. very good lyrics and i really like the singer. i am impressed considering the recommendation came from a teenager.

he said, if i liked rush....i would like this. and he was right!

TP

Edited by Tide Pools

My last few I bought

Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth

Overkill - Bloodletting

Avril Lavigne - Under My Skin

Tori Amos - Tales of a librarian

Verbena - La Musica Negra

Verbena - Into the Pink

I would recommend "VERBENA- Into the Pink" to anyone who likes foo fighters, nirvana or any other grunge type music. I wouldn't mislead anyone, this is one of my favorite bands that came out in the last 10 years. Dave Grohl produced this CD, he played bass for this band for a while. Dave gave the drummer for verbena his drums that he played in nirvanna so it has that nice phat sound. If I could recommend just 1 CD to anyone this would be the one. "Verbena - Into the pink". I went to Birmingham Alabama to meet these guys and they are some of the coolest people I ever met in my life and it was worth the trip. If nothing else, if you can find their song called "my baby got shot" on winmx or something then download it and decide if it's something you like.

http://verbenamusic.com/news.jsp

QUOTE (Indica @ Sep 26 2004, 01:42 PM)

I went to Birmingham Alabama to meet these guys and they are some of the coolest people I ever met in my life and it was worth the trip.

Well, OF COURSE they're cool....look where they're from!

biggrin.gif

Hmmmmm i'm gonna start this new thing with the 4 cds.....it's a good idea...before I got into Rush I was getting into alot of different music....but now....they took over me....lol but my last 4 cds that I bought was Test for Echo, Geddy's My favourite Headache......and yea thats all I can remember! lol laugh.gif