Official New Music Thread

Moonraker

QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 11 2008, 06:49 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 10 2008, 06:44 PM)
Also, cheers to Kudzu for getting more R.E.M. They're one of my top 5 bands of all time for sure...

Up is quite different for them... I rarely listen to it... when I do, I find there are a few gems on there, but it's such a long album... I also read about Radiohead citing that album as an influence for Kid A and I agree for the most part. Both albums, on certain tracks, have similar moods to them.

"Airportman", "Hope", and "The Apologist" particularly echo on Kid A.

I think Up is a few songs too long; the last three songs don't really do much for me, and "Suspicion" is dull and "Lotus" is just plain bad; however, I love how different it is, and songs like "Hope", "At My Most Beautiful", "Sad Professor", and "Daysleeper" rank among the best I've heard from R.E.M.

Still waiting on Automatic for the People and expecting New Adventures in Hi-Fi now too.

At My Most Beautiful is the most beautiful song The Beach Boys never wrote.

New Adventures is my favourite album of theirs. Love it.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 11 2008, 05:40 AM)
QUOTE (Kudzu @ Apr 11 2008, 06:49 AM)
QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 10 2008, 06:44 PM)
Also, cheers to Kudzu for getting more R.E.M. They're one of my top 5 bands of all time for sure...

Up is quite different for them... I rarely listen to it... when I do, I find there are a few gems on there, but it's such a long album... I also read about Radiohead citing that album as an influence for Kid A and I agree for the most part. Both albums, on certain tracks, have similar moods to them.

"Airportman", "Hope", and "The Apologist" particularly echo on Kid A.

I think Up is a few songs too long; the last three songs don't really do much for me, and "Suspicion" is dull and "Lotus" is just plain bad; however, I love how different it is, and songs like "Hope", "At My Most Beautiful", "Sad Professor", and "Daysleeper" rank among the best I've heard from R.E.M.

Still waiting on Automatic for the People and expecting New Adventures in Hi-Fi now too.

At My Most Beautiful is the most beautiful song The Beach Boys never wrote.

New Adventures is my favourite album of theirs. Love it.

I completely agree with that HA&S.

And I also agree with the sentiments expressed by Kudzu. Those songs you mentioned do remind me of Kid A.

QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Apr 8 2008, 09:15 PM)
Aphex Twin-Drukqs

Amazing stuff

You seem to really be enjoying AT.

I'd check out Autechre if you haven't already. That duo plays a style of music that's very similar to AT.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 13 2008, 12:18 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 13 2008, 11:32 AM)
QUOTE (asp324 @ Apr 13 2008, 03:30 AM)
H.A.A.R.P. - Muse

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Anyone who claims to like good music should really have this by now.

How very dare you! biggrin.gif

Haha, that wasn't a dig. Not even a subtle one!

You have intentions to buy it, which is absolutely fine.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 13 2008, 06:33 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 13 2008, 12:18 PM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 13 2008, 11:32 AM)
QUOTE (asp324 @ Apr 13 2008, 03:30 AM)
H.A.A.R.P. - Muse

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Anyone who claims to like good music should really have this by now.

How very dare you! biggrin.gif

Haha, that wasn't a dig. Not even a subtle one!

You have intentions to buy it, which is absolutely fine.

Muse in Dublin announced!! Tickets on sale Saturday next at 9am.

(Better go and buy bloody HAARP now...)

New Adventures in Hi-Fi by R.E.M. came today, while Automatic for the People, on the last day of its more than generous delivery window of four calendar weeks, did not.

So, I ordered Automatic from a different seller and will file a reimbursement claim against the first seller as soon as Amazon lets me. And if the CD ends up arriving someday, great, I'll just resell one of those copies or give it to someone I know.

EDIT - Oh, and I also picked up Gentle Giant's Free Hand. Should be interesting...

Edited by Kudzu

Okay, so, I've ordered and am awaiting Fables of the Reconstruction, Lifes Rich Pageant, Green, and Automatic for the People, all from R.E.M., as well as Porcupine Tree's In Absentia, which I've resisted buying for some unknown reason for about a year and a half now.

I think I'm going to buy Reckoning and maybe Monster and/or Accelerate by R.E.M. if I like what I hear of those four albums, and I'll probably get Snakes & Arrows Live once the price drops a little, then it's no new albums (except maybe getting some to replace ones for which I have only downloaded or burned copies, because I like getting hard copies of albums I listen to frequently) probably until the new Kan'Nal or Marillion album is released, whichever comes first.

Feel like I'm weaning myself off cocaine or something laugh.gif

Just got a free download from the Black Crowes download site, 1st 10,000 get a free 2 disk compilation of live tracks, mostly unreleased live covers. It's awesome 1022.gif A must for any Crowes fan, Testy, MH you have to get this. yes.gif

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Apr 16 2008, 11:17 PM)
QUOTE (Huck @ Apr 16 2008, 11:13 PM)
Just got a free download from the Black Crowes download site, 1st 10,000 get a free 2 disk compilation of live tracks, mostly unreleased live covers. It's awesome 1022.gif A must for any Crowes fan, Testy, MH you have to get this. yes.gif

Where? How? When? Why?

Must have!

biggrin.gif

I PMd you about it already biggrin.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Rush! @ Apr 11 2008, 09:01 AM)
QUOTE (The Rocinante @ Apr 8 2008, 09:15 PM)
Aphex Twin-Drukqs

Amazing stuff

You seem to really be enjoying AT.

I'd check out Autechre if you haven't already. That duo plays a style of music that's very similar to AT.

I must have missed this. I have a few Autechre albums, all great.

Anyway:

Stone Temple Pilots-Purple

Outkast-Idlewild

Iron Butterfly-Ball

Snoop Dogg-The Blue Carpet Treatment (Yeah, I know. It was cheap unsure.gif )

all vinyl

Plus an extra record, three sampler CD's, a T-shirt, stickers, posters, etc. because it's 'record store day' and they were giving away crap.

Edited by The Rocinante