Now this is a review...

eshine

I like the album heaps but don't like the actual writing style of this review. Sure it's positive but I can still dislike it for being "typical" in how it's worded. What can I say? Whether critics like an album or not, most of them sound exactly the same. smilies-8579.png

It is succinct.

The guy sounds like a Rush fan but not a fanboy.

His comments are right on the mark.

Geddy Lee's bass is mixed further up-front than it has been in some time -- which makes his mind-blowing chops resound: there are amazing pizzicatos interspersed in driving hard rock fills and edgy, off-kilter funk riffs. His voice is more nuanced and more emotionally expressive.

Alex Lifeson's acoustic guitars have an established place here, but his electric axes roar over them throughout.

Peart's drumming is the catalyst: his technical mastery makes his playing sound purely instinctive. CA is full of dynamic surprises

I've read all the reviews of this album, but this one seemed so immediate to me - and unbiased.

It hit all the right buttons for me.

"Halo Effect" is destined to be among the band's classic power ballads with a dramatic middle and end.

I missed something here quoting this, halo effect is more a mediocre ballad. confused13.gif

QUOTE (RUDT @ Aug 2 2012, 04:02 AM)
"Halo Effect" is destined to be among the band's classic power ballads with a dramatic middle and end.

I missed something here quoting this, halo effect is more a mediocre ballad. confused13.gif

I completely disagree. I think It's up there with Tears, Madrigal and Different Strings.

I missed something here quoting this, halo effect is more a mediocre ballad. 

I completely disagree. I think It's up there with Tears, Madrigal and Different Strings.

And those three songs are among the band's classic power ballads?? unsure.gif

I love Halo Effect, and Tears, and Different Strings, but to be honest, as stated, they are average Rush tracks. When I think classic power ballads by Rush, I think Closer to the Heart.

QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 2 2012, 02:50 AM)
It is succinct.

Geddy Lee's bass is mixed further up-front than it has been in some time -- which makes his mind-blowing chops resound: there are amazing pizzicatos interspersed in driving hard rock fills and edgy, off-kilter funk riffs. His voice is more nuanced and more emotionally expressive.

Alex Lifeson's acoustic guitars have an established place here, but his electric axes roar over them throughout.

Peart's drumming is the catalyst: his technical mastery makes his playing sound purely instinctive. CA is full of dynamic surprises

I've read all the reviews of this album, but this one seemed so immediate to me - and unbiased.

Yeah you're very wrong. Mind blowing chops? Come on now. Any very skilled bassist will tell you right now that he's doing ANYTHING difficult on this album. He just does some scale runs here and there. He's not doing the kinds of complex runs he used to do.

John Myung has MIND BLOWING chops. Geddy has never even been remotely close to that complex of a bassist.

So yeah, this reviewer IS a fanboy, like you.

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 2 2012, 01:37 PM)
It is succinct.

Yeah you're very wrong. Mind blowing chops? Come on now. Any very skilled bassist will tell you right now that he's doing ANYTHING difficult on this album. He just does some scale runs here and there. He's not doing the kinds of complex runs he used to do.

John Myung has MIND BLOWING chops. Geddy has never even been remotely close to that complex of a bassist.

DT obsessed much?

QUOTE (trenken @ Aug 2 2012, 07:37 AM)
It is succinct.

and you are still a miserable little turd, who knows nothing about playing bass guitar----move along. bitchslap.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 1 2012, 10:35 PM)
And yes, it deserves it's own thread. The guy really nails it.

Critics, haters and cynics be warned - this review will give you a nosebleed.

Quote: "The Garden" is an intricate seven-minute ballad with numerous odd angles and labyrinthine sonic corridors.

That is mind-blowing. It's also a really great song. I'll take the rabbi's review anyday: while The Garden, in all its orchestral glory, will move people to tears of joy, melancholy, and a full autumnal moment. It is such a departure for the band, and is certainly another addition of greatness in the pantheon of Rush music.

Hey, GeminiRising79--where's yours???

You can get it on Amazon for .99 cents

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 2 2012, 07:14 AM)
QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 1 2012, 10:35 PM)
And yes, it deserves it's own thread. The guy really nails it.

Critics, haters and cynics be warned - this review will give you a nosebleed.

Quote: "The Garden" is an intricate seven-minute ballad with numerous odd angles and labyrinthine sonic corridors.

That is mind-blowing. It's also a really great song. I'll take the rabbi's review anyday: while The Garden, in all its orchestral glory, will move people to tears of joy, melancholy, and a full autumnal moment. It is such a departure for the band, and is certainly another addition of greatness in the pantheon of Rush music.

I was just going to post something similar. He makes it sound like The Garden is great because it's a progressive rock masterpiece or because of its unusual and complex composition. The song is great because of it's emotional intensity and lyrically it's deep and profound.

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (canadianice @ Aug 2 2012, 08:22 AM)
liked a review and defended it

responded with a bunch more nonsense

and you are still a miserable little turd, who knows nothing about playing bass guitar----move along. bitchslap.gif

He may not know much about playing bass, but boy can he sing!

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Aug 2 2012, 09:26 AM)

Like Tiny Tim on Helium rofl3.gif

It is succinct.

Geddy has never even been remotely close to that complex of a bassist.

rofl3.gif

Ok, up until now you managed to express your opinions in a way that, while certainly consistently negative, was also believable., but when you start dissing Geddy as never being that complex a bassist, then I have to question your agenda

I agree that the review is a little over the top and "fanboyish". However, I am personally a big fan of Halo Effect and think it's a keeper, and I'm not usually a fan of their "ballads"

It is succinct.

You seem particularly jealous of Geddy Lee - like you have some weird agism complex. You always talk about how old he is. Maybe it's because you cant handle the fact that at twice your age he posseses skill you will never, ever have in your wildest dreams.

You talk a big game, but have no "chops" of your own to speak of, save for your laughable cell phone whining. Man up and show us some more of your own mind blowing chops.

And Geddy can write circles around the pretentious and showy John Myung. His style is silly and often unlistenable, kind of like your posts.

You have a sterile and uninteresting taste in music.

QUOTE (Rush-O-Matic @ Aug 2 2012, 09:26 AM)

unsure.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 2 2012, 11:10 AM)
It is succinct.

You seem particularly jealous of Geddy Lee - like you have some weird agism complex. You always talk about how old he is. Maybe it's because you cant handle the fact that at twice your age he posseses skill you will never, ever have in your wildest dreams.

You talk a big game, but have no "chops" of your own to speak of, save for your laughable cell phone whining. Man up and show us some more of your own mind blowing chops.

And Geddy can write circles around the pretentious and showy John Myung. His style is silly and often unlistenable, kind of like your posts.

You have a sterile and uninteresting taste in music.

And Geddy doesn't look like a little Asian girl! laugh.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 2 2012, 04:23 AM)

Which are all very, very good songs!

yes.gif

QUOTE (eshine @ Aug 2 2012, 04:23 AM)

obviously the garden is much longer than those 3 but putting aside the lyrics, the garden drags along musically and vocally for me. i repeat, for me. the other 3 flow along effortlessly and just easy to listen to.