Circumstances

Okay, I had a brilliant vision the other day. I kept hearing the solo section of Hemispheres being played by the orchestra. Instead of the Moog, I definitely can imagine a string section playing that.

Who's with me?

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 31 2012, 11:35 AM)
i mean, it might work i guess, but i'd rather them not add strings to songs that didnt have strings

yes.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jul 31 2012, 11:30 AM)
Okay, I had a brilliant vision the other day. I kept hearing the solo section of Hemispheres being played by the orchestra. Instead of the Moog, I definitely can imagine a string section playing that.

Who's with me?

If they hadn't played Circumstances in '07, I could see it.

edit to my post above. I didn't mean to say the solo in "Hemispheres". I meant the solo in the middle of Circumstances.

I might would understand not having strings take the place of guitar music, but it could be used to take the place of keys.

QUOTE (sdhonda @ Jul 31 2012, 02:51 PM)
I tend to agree with you, but as metaldad pointed out, they already played it in '07. They then dropped it for the second leg of that tour.

but it would be so GOOOOOD!!!! cool.gif

I'm looking forward to the strings... but mainly where they were originally used on the album.

I'm not opposed to maybe a couple of songs tweaked with a different arrangement with added strings. I'm just hoping they don't go overboard.

But I doubt they will...this is RUSH after all. They pretty much get it right all the time.

I think there are a lot of songs in the vault that have strings already. There's no need to rearrange a song like Circumstances!

QUOTE (deathlikesilence @ Jul 31 2012, 11:35 AM)
i mean, it might work i guess, but i'd rather them not add strings to songs that didnt have strings

This, unless they are synthesized strings like on Limelight, This i can see happening.

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 1 2012, 01:30 AM)

Who's with me?

No.

I remember in an interview Geddy & Lifeson saying that they're not big fans of bands that changed the song from the album to the live performance...and that included changing the instrument from what it was originally on the album. Of course they might've changed their minds since then but somehow I don't think so.

OMG!! YES !! I can totally hear that,with violins,cello's etc..the only thing that could hinder it,is the low tuning...they played this song,tuned down

a 1/2 or whole step to accomodate Geddy's voice.The violinist would have to all compensate by either playing it in a different key,or tuning

down with the band...but very cool idea!! trink39.gif

They struggled through circumstances in '07 and dropped it. They won't bring it back. There are songs they simply can't/shouldn't play anymore.

I just am not into nostalgia. Some of their pre permanant waves stuff suffered last tour. 2112 was really really toned down. I can't handle doing a song just to do it. They have slowed down. At 60 Neil has slowed. Limelight is even slow. Vital signs sounds like a ballad.

I know I am gonna get flamed but compare the time machine versions on dvd to exit stage left or the grace under pressure tour.

QUOTE (JAG @ Aug 2 2012, 12:19 PM)
They struggled through circumstances in '07 and dropped it. They won't bring it back. There are songs they simply can't/shouldn't play anymore.

I just am not into nostalgia. Some of their pre permanant waves stuff suffered last tour. 2112 was really really toned down. I can't handle doing a song just to do it. They have slowed down. At 60 Neil has slowed. Limelight is even slow. Vital signs sounds like a ballad.

I know I am gonna get flamed but compare the time machine versions on dvd to exit stage left or the grace under pressure tour.

Whoa man, Neil has not slowed. Have you heard Headlong Flight? tongue.gif Seriously, Neil has not slowed. He can still play anything at studio version speed. Rush chose to slow the tempo of certain songs live over the years, but not because Neil can't keep up. He still has his God-like abilities. That is all.

NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Jul 31 2012, 02:46 PM)
Replacing instruments Rush played on albums with strings live is not brilliant. no.gif Leave the strings where they belong.. where Rush put them. yes.gif

Let the songs be. I agree!

I read another post on here where somebody in the band stated they will be putting strings into songs that previously didn't have them.

QUOTE (JAG @ Aug 2 2012, 12:19 PM)

confused13.gif

Vital Signs, Limelight, etc. were all played in the same tempos as they originally were on the albums during the Time Machine Tour, including 2112 (or at least pretty darn close to it.) Only difference was Geddy's voice obviously and 2112 lowered a whole step. Vital Signs a ballad? Check back and watch the videos again.

On Grace Under Pressure, they played a lot of their older material in a faster tempo, so sure, they don't play it as fast as they once did in the past, but they aren't playing anything slower than the album versions ala present-Yes does today. (Of course, this is all in regards to the Time Machine Tour. Snakes and Arrows saw many songs played in a slower tempo.)

As to the OP's original question, Circumstances was pretty painful to hear on Snakes and Arrows. Tuning it down didn't benefit the song unlike 2112. The idea with the strings could work, but I think it's best to keep the song in the vault, which is unfortunate because I really like the song.

Edited by GUP1771

Between the Wheels with strings anyone? Maybe over top of the synth part?

They seemed to like the song. Played it 04, 07 and 08. Maybe they'll do it.

I'm also feeling Red Sector A also has a good possibility of going back in this set, strings or not. Haven't played it since 04. Seems like a song of the 3 liked playing.

Geddy's voice may have a problem on RSA though. It has been 8 years or so

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 7 2012, 05:17 AM)
I read another post on here where somebody in the band stated they will be putting strings into songs that previously didn't have them.

It still should be very exciting but I'm very surprised by this. It really is the opposite of what they had been saying in previous years. Just sayin'.