What will Geddy's main bass be for CA tour

Which bass will he use?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Which bass will he use?

• '72 Jazz with new neck (the one he has used mainly since T4E)
    • The Wal
    • Steinberger
    • Precision bass
    • The Rick
    • "backup" Jazz ('74 with new neck)

I know that the ol' '74 had the neck replaced a few years ago. I'm actually quite pleased with his tone on CA, and thought it was stellar on The Time Machine Tour. What ever he did on The TMT, he can keep doing that. yes.gif

The Jazz basses, run through the Orange amps, SansBass RBI tossed in, then the Palmer speaker simulators. It worked...and it blew my mind! I think there was some magic dust somewhere in the feed... notworthy.gif

The one with 4 strings

QUOTE (Sticklight @ Jul 30 2012, 11:12 AM)
Geddy didn't use a precision on Headlong Flight, It's his Jazz bass.

According to his interview on Bass Player Magazine, the basses he used on the record are J-Basses.
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/bass-player-08.2012.php

I think he will use his main '72 with the new neck and pickguard.

there are conflicting reports then, as the engineer (name escapes me) tweeted that he used a p-bass on headlong flight.

Part of me wants to vote the Steinberger, just for giggles.... unsure.gif

My guess it's going to be more Fender jazzes! Bring 'em on! Though I wouldn't be sorry if the Wal made an appearance too....

Ha! See that someone had the same idea as me, but actually went for it! biggrin.gif

Edited by Mika

I'd be surprised to see anything but the '72 J-bass (unless they play 2112 - which I don't think they will, other than perhaps as part of a medley). Amalgamation bass (the symbol on his '72 J-bass pick guard) is my guess.

trink39.gif

Good question. smile.gif

QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 30 2012, 02:14 PM)
I'd be surprised to see anything but the '72 J-bass (unless they play 2112 - which I don't think they will, other than perhaps as part of a medley). Amalgamation bass (the symbol on his '72 J-bass pick guard) is my guess.

He'll have to get a new Drop-D bass since he donated his black Jazz Bass.

QUOTE (hughes&kettner @ Jul 30 2012, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE (Sticklight @ Jul 30 2012, 11:12 AM)
Geddy didn't use a precision on Headlong Flight, It's his Jazz bass.

According to his interview on Bass Player Magazine, the basses he used on the record are J-Basses.
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/bass-player-08.2012.php

I think he will use his main '72 with the new neck and pickguard.

there are conflicting reports then, as the engineer (name escapes me) tweeted that he used a p-bass on headlong flight.

Well, I think Richard Chycki got confused between the names. I guess he meant to say "J-Bass" instead of "P-bass".

QUOTE (default236 @ Jul 30 2012, 06:01 PM)
QUOTE (CygnusGal @ Jul 30 2012, 02:14 PM)
I'd be surprised to see anything but the '72 J-bass (unless they play 2112 - which I don't think they will, other than perhaps as part of a medley).  Amalgamation bass (the symbol on his '72 J-bass pick guard) is my guess.

He'll have to get a new Drop-D bass since he donated his black Jazz Bass.

I think he's a whole step down for 2112 (sounds that way to my ear), not drop-D. D-G-C-F (whole step) instead of D-A-D-G (drop-D). His red J-bass is what I've always seen him play for 2112, a whole step down. If there are no vocals, it doesn't matter, of course. Geddy uses standard tuning on the albums and live (except for 2112 live from 1997 on).

smile.gif

The interview is really good. Thanks GeddysMullet!

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jul 30 2012, 05:41 PM)
would be nice to see him bring out the old dog in the rickenbacker but he said it weighs a ton so i don't expect him to use it.

You know, my Jazz bass weighs more than my Rick. I always wondered why he said that. He has mentioned weight as the major factor of why he put it away. The Steinberger was a heavy bass too. I always found that interesting.

Oh, by the way, I voted for the Jazz. At this point, with his money he could play any bass he wants. He always chooses the Jazz and plays the others for the lower tuned songs. I would be surprised if he used something other than his Jazz.

Bringing the Wal back out would do some justice to the songs from that era... Time Stand Still and Mission etc sound too muddy and bottom-heavy with the Fender. That Wal sound is a core ingredient in songs like those, and the busy basslines in there are almost indistinguishable coming through the Fender Jazz.

And fans of that era might get a kick out of it too, just like the Rick for Passage to Bangkok.

Edited by CygnusGal

QUOTE (GeddysMullet @ Jul 30 2012, 10:10 PM)
This seems like a good place to repost this interview, in which Geddy discusses the instrument of his passion:

Part 1

Part 2

Thanks for posting the vids, never saw them before.