Songs that were stolen from Rush

physics23

Hahahahaa I heard Olivia Newton-John's Xanadu on the radio last night...they need to play some GOOD music on the radio. They don't even have to change their playlist. I can even think of at least one better song with that same title.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jun 18 2005, 06:03 PM)
Hahahahaa I heard Olivia Newton-John's Xanadu on the radio last night...they need to play some GOOD music on the radio. They don't even have to change their playlist. I can even think of at least one better song with that same title.

I take it you mean the one by Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Micj and Titch? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (between sun and moon @ Jun 16 2005, 11:44 PM)
has anybody else noticed that when you play xanadu on guitar along with the song, it sounds out of key? i noticed that and checked, the guitar was in tune (i think), and it still sounded weird...can somebody else try it and see what it sounds like?

sometimes the music on some albums sounds a microtone out of tune.

for example, Highway to Hell by ACDC sounds 1/4 lower than normal

The gay purple dinasaur theme song was a rip off of In The Mood...

wacko.gif <--

QUOTE (physics23 @ Jun 16 2005, 07:21 AM)
Ever notice how the intro to Guns n' Roses' "Sweet Child o' Mine" sounds strangely like the intro to Rush's "Xanadu"?

you're right; i never noticed that before!

In Dream Theater's "Octavarium" (a 24 minute long masterpiece), around the 13 minute mark of the song (during the keys solo), the guitar and bass play a small riff that sounds exactly like the chorus riff from "Beneath, Between and Behind". Edited by Mustard Death

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Jun 22 2005, 03:27 PM)
In Dream Theater's "Octavarium" (a 24 minute long masterpiece), around the 13 minute mark of the song (during the keys solo), the guitar and bass play a small riff that sounds exactly like the chorus riff from "Beneath, Between and Behind".

This has to be the most up to date one! I haven't even got it yet - should have been a fathers day gift - got a t-shirt instead (!)

'course Dreamtheater have always had a soft spot for Rush - i'm sure they'll say its a tribute!

Got another one myself The Farm "all together now" intro is an exact lift from The Mission.

P.S. Going to a DT gig at Hammersmith? 2nd night for us - fingers crossed they cover 2112!

Ever notice how the intro to Guns n' Roses' "Sweet Child o' Mine" sounds strangely like the intro to Rush's "Xanadu"?

And that the riff in Coldplay's "Clocks" is oddly reminiscent of the synthesizer riff in "Countdown"?

wow! I just listened that's Colplay song and yes it's look very like the synthesizer riff of "Countdown" I never noticed that! :)

And that the riff in Coldplay's "Clocks" is oddly reminiscent of the synthesizer riff in "Countdown"?

wow! I just listened that's Colplay song and yes it's look very like the synthesizer riff of "Countdown" I never noticed that! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d020hcWA_Wg

neither did I.. but the thread title is "Songs that were Stoeln from Rush" and I don't think Coldplay stole this riff from them.

This thread was dead for 7 years and was resurrected. Why aren't TRF members all working in hospitals?

Why not? It's an interesting thread! Geez!

Oh, I'm not denying that! I love seeing these old threads pop back up! Just joking that the TRF-ers' ability to revive these things after so many years would be effective in a hospital. No anger/hate/anything negative meant, I promise.

QUOTE (physics23 @ Jun 16 2005, 07:21 AM) Ever notice how the intro to Guns n' Roses' "Sweet Child o' Mine" sounds strangely like the intro to Rush's "Xanadu"?

I wonder if there are more.

The drumming in the chorus part of spider webs by No doubt is pretty similar to the second passage in Natural science. close to the same tempo as well hmmm.... It hit me the first time i heard it and reminds me still to this day. can ya hear it?

I wondered why I liked a No Doubt song .

Well, stolen is probably the wrong word to use. After all, there are only so many possible note combinations, so stuff is bound to repeat. Also influence is a funny thing. Musicians take bits from their influences all of the time without any conscious thought.

Some of the material on Mastodon's Crack the Skye album reminds me of Rush. Specifically the Last Baron. The main driving riff of the song reminds me a lot of Natural Science and there is this strange, proggy run in the middle of the song that sounds a lot like YYZ.

Porcupine Tree's song Arriving Somewhere, But Not Here has very apparent Rush influence. The guitar arpeggios that run throughout the song remind me a lot of Hemispheres and Carress of Steel.

Let's go in the other direction:

Listen to the opening piano of the Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Blue Rondo A La Turk" (1959) and then listen to "Natural Science" (1980) from around 3:15-3:50.

Very very similar, eh?

I've also though the instrumental section around 2:30 Van Der Graaf Generator's "Lost" (1970) sounds very similar to a few Rush songs... not exact, but sort of like the marriage of Tom Sawyer's instrumental and the just mentioned part of Natural Science

Let's go in the other direction:

Listen to the opening piano of the Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Blue Rondo A La Turk" (1959) and then listen to "Natural Science" (1980) from around 3:15-3:50.

Very very similar, eh?

I've also though the instrumental section around 2:30 Van Der Graaf Generator's "Lost" (1970) sounds very similar to a few Rush songs... not exact, but sort of like the marriage of Tom Sawyer's instrumental and the just mentioned part of Natural Science

DUDE YES! holy crap!

Here's a big one that I can't BELIEVE hasn't been mentioned yet:

About 4 minutes or so into "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" off Metallica's Master of Puppets album the guitar riff is LITERALLY identical to the main riff of Tom Sawyer.

Yes, Geddy, Alex and Neil are thanked in the liner notes.