Clockwork Angels is the best album ever recorded

deslock

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 28 2012, 07:04 PM)
I did an average of all your song scores - the average is 8.54.  My average is 8.41, and that's only because I gave BU2B2 a 1 out of 10.  Your average is BARELY above mine, and this is your top album of all time?  For me it's only somewhere between 8-10 among Rush albums, and it probably doesn't make my top 100 of all time album list. 

So does that mean you don't have any albums that you give a 5 out of 5 to every song?  I have quite a lot that rate that highly.

Correct, I don't have anything in my collection on which every song gets 5 stars. In any case, the average of individual song ratings are only an indicator of what my opinion of an album will be (sometimes the whole is more -or less- than the sum of its parts).

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jul 29 2012, 11:02 AM)
It all depends on what you like. Obviously this guy likes RUSH, thinks RUSH is better than any other band in the world and also thinks at this time that Clockwork Angels is the best Rush album better ever. Hence, Best album ever recorded.

Not to bold of a statement, just a personal belief. So let him state whats on his mind. I'm sure somewhere out there somewhere has stating that CA is the Worst album ever recorded and he's welcomed to that opinion as well. Its all good! Just Wish Them Well!

Bingo.

QUOTE (substancewithoutstyle @ Jul 28 2012, 08:03 PM)
I hope you're not serious with this. CA is a good, but not great, album.

If you think it's the best ever recorded, you must have a very limited collection of music.

As I wrote, I know many here don't agree with me. FWIW, I have ~700 albums in my collection (mostly rock, but some classical, jazz, folk, bluesgrass, prog-metal, etc) plus I also listen to quite a bit of Pandora.

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jul 28 2012, 06:26 PM)
Have you heard some better albums that haven't been recorded?

Heh.

Not the best ever recorded but a fantastic, stellar release from a band that's 40 years in this business.

Best ever recorded (for me): The Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band followed by bands that have all released unbelievable stuff. Pink Floyd, Genesis, The Who...and of course *RUSH*

• Like 1

bitchslap.gif

Just dusted off Clockwork Angels yesterday and gave it a listen. I still don't understand it being canonized like it is by so many here on TRF. Way too long as delivered, and a better listen for me when truncated and reordered this way:

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7, The Garden

8. Headlong Flight

• Like 2

No love for Caravan, goose?

edit: I mean, all the songs you listed are better, but it's still a pretty-sounding song

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 1

Just dusted off Clockwork Angels yesterday and gave it a listen. I still don't understand it being canonized like it is by so many here on TRF. Way too long as delivered, and a better listen for me when truncated and reordered this way:

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7, The Garden

8. Headlong Flight

Goose, it's a lot like Hemispheres. Every song sounds the same.

• Like 1

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7, The Garden

8. Headlong Flight

I can see how these are appealing in order and length. You go boy! I remember Goober considered the album perfect, or at least almost perfect with one caveat: BU2B2. He couldn't "classify" it as a song, so therefore it brought the album down a notch. He hated it. However, I find it unique in the Rush pantheon. Are these your favorites, and in order as your favs?

edit: I mean, all the songs you listed are better, but it's still a pretty-sounding song

Well, if it weren't part of the larger collection. But for me it's either Headlong Flight or Caravan, and the former is the stronger of the two, I think. The album didn't need both.

Which is an interesting proposition. It was released two full years before the album, so why include it? It's not really necessary to set the scene for the story (the title track does that well enough. Better, even.).

• Like 1

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7, The Garden

8. Headlong Flight

Well, there's a distinctive sound, for sure. :)

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7, The Garden

8. Headlong Flight

You win

http://www.thecleanslate.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/golden_crack_pipe.jpg

• Like 2

Well, if it weren't part of the larger collection. But for me it's either Headlong Flight or Caravan, and the former is the stronger of the two, I think. The album didn't need both.

Which is an interesting proposition. It was released two full years before the album, so why include it? It's not really necessary to set the scene for the story (the title track does that well enough. Better, even.).

I see!

Actually now that has me curious to see if Rush has ever released non-album singles or b-sides.

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 1

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7, The Garden

8. Headlong Flight

I can see how these are appealing in order and length. You go boy! I remember Goober considered the album perfect, or at least almost perfect with one caveat: BU2B2. He couldn't "classify" it as a song, so therefore it brought the album down a notch. He hated it. However, I find it unique in the Rush pantheon. Are these your favorites, and in order as your favs?

No, not my favorites, but the best order to maximize the listening experience (for me) while preserving the feel of the story. I don't think the order of any of the chapters is critical, save Clokowrk being the opener and the Garden/Headlong being closers. I like Headlong Flight as the ultimate closer because it's uptempo. BU2B2 is a nice bridge, I think, like the intro to BU2B.
  • Like 1

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7, The Garden

8. Headlong Flight

You win

You are too kind, but the GCPA belongs to Goose. He's the one that said it. I'm just repeating it.

• Like 1

I see!

Actually now that has me curious to see if Rush has ever released non-album singles or b-sides.

Other than the first Moon single "Can't Fight It"/"Not Fade Away" and live versions of album songs, I don't believe so.

Here's that single, if you aren't familiar with it. Both tracks are on the same video.

• Like 2

1. Clockwork Angels

2. BU2B

3. The Anarchist

4. Seven Cities of Gold

5. Carnies

6. BU2B2

7, The Garden

8. Headlong Flight

You win

You are too kind, but the GCPA belongs to Goose. He's the one that said it. I'm just repeating it.

Half true. But yeah, Hemispheres has a distinctive sound and repeated motif throughout the album. Permanent Waves is much more diverse, like the Kings album. But with better results, I think.